TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What would you do?

YZD263

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 KR with less than 500 miles for $57K Canadian (roughly $56,500 US). It's slightly above my initial price range; I initially targeted a maximum of $55K when I began looking for one this summer. I know that some are currently available on Ebay for less than $55K. However, when adding shipping and other additional costs, US cars are not really cheaper and more trouble to purchase. Add to that the fact that very few KRs were built for the Canadian market and this becomes tempting.

My dilemma is this: considering that I will have to store the car for winter in less than a month anyway and that I will hardly use the car this year, do you think that the prices will continue to drop significantly, in which case waiting until spring to get one would be the smart thing to do, or do you believe that the market for KR's will have improved some by then, in which case now may be a good time for me to buy.

Please give me your thoughts.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 KR with less than 500 miles for $57K Canadian (roughly $56,500 US). It's slightly above my initial price range; I initially targeted a maximum of $55K when I began looking for one this summer. I know that some are currently available on Ebay for less than $55K. However, when adding shipping and other additional costs, US cars are not really cheaper and more trouble to purchase. Add to that the fact that very few KRs were built for the Canadian market and this becomes tempting.

My dilemma is this: considering that I will have to store the car for winter in less than a month anyway and that I will hardly use the car this year, do you think that the prices will continue to drop significantly, in which case waiting until spring to get one would be the smart thing to do, or do you believe that the market for KR's will have improved some by then, in which case now may be a good time for me to buy.

Overall I think the market is stable on these. Sure you're always going to find another car for somewhat less right after you buy it (isn't that the same with anything you buy).

2g more over your target number is nothing when talking about the mid 50k range (2k on a 10k budget is huge, but not at your level).

With you being in Canada, then the Canadian spec car would have the speedo in KPH, certainly less built than with MPH US spec.

If it is the car you want, and it is in your price range, I say get it, and don't worry about the season. This deal my not exist in 6 month forcing to to travel and/or transport (plus import) later.

GO FOR IT, these are amazing cars, so well balanced , I love to :shift: mine

I say, GRAB IT, unless you're looking to spend less for one with higher mileage. Buying these KRs though, you'll want to make sure it's a clean one that hasn't been beaten on. I'm sure most of us here keep ours nice, but some people bought 'em and thrashed them right off. Some were crashed, and possibly repaired. I say get the 500 mile car, but still, check it over carefully.

POST PICTURES..! :)

Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate your unanimous advice. I indeed offered $55K. This was initally my ceiling for these, and only because it is a Canadian car. I would have limited my bid to $51K if I had to import from the US. That being said, Canadian cars are rarer (around 130 built from what I read here), so I may have to wait awhile to grab one if I let this one go.

I 'll call the seller back and will keep you posted.

I would highly recommend trying to get all the KR specific paperwork and such that came with these cars when they left the dealerships, as it would be very difficult to obtain afterward. That is if you are purchasing the car from the original buyer. :salute:

Congratulations. Are you gonna hang on to your "07 GT500? It'll be interesting to see what your comments are concerning the differences in the two. :shift:

I owned a 2008 GT500 and I can tell you the differences.

Congratulations. Are you gonna hang on to your "07 GT500? It'll be interesting to see what your comments are concerning the differences in the two. :shift:

Not sure yet if I will hang on to the '07. This is a decision that I will have to make next spring. Winter is coming soon here and both the '07 and the KR will be stored after next week end and won't be back on the road until mid April. By then, I should have made up my mind regarding what to do with the '07.

So far, I have only driven the KR a bit around town last weekend and then on a 300 miles cruise from Ottawa to Quebec City, so my driving impressions are still preliminary. Obvious differences are the short throw shifter and exhaust sound, both of which are significant improvement over my '07, which had stock exhaust. I love the sound of the KR mufflers. Not too intrusive on a highway cruise but great sounding when you step on the gas. The suspension is a bit firmer, but not harsh, and I'm looking forward to a long drive on some twisty roads to test the handling. I suspect that this will be a marked improvement over my '07 stock suspenion.

The only area where my '07 might have the uppper hand for now is acceleration, due to the CAI , pulley and tune. The '07 just feels a bit quicker and my dad who also drove both cars over the weekend felt the same way. Some short side by side acceleration runs confirmed our impression. That being said, I will likely add the TVS supercharger next spring, which should easily make it quicker than my '07. Other than that, and the Alcoa 20s, I do not plan any other mod on this one.

I posted a few pics on the Arrival forum. More pics to come after next weekend, once the Alcoa 20s are on.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived