TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz Boss 302.....

SWEDEMAN

Ok I have heard rumblings from a few people in the know that SA will not be doing an "official" Hertz Shelby rent-a-racer program right now, but I have heard that Ford very well could be. The speculation is this: 2013 Mustang Boss 302's in 2 (two) color combinations: Black with Gold Stripes and White with Gold stripes. Both stripe packages will be Gold in color and be over the top with matching 1970's appearance side panel stripes with Boss 302 recognition insignia. If anyone has any further "secret" information on this, post it here..we won't tell anybody! ;)

EDITED:

Ok I have heard rumblings from a few people in the know that SA will not be doing an "official" Hertz Shelby rent-a-racer program right now, but I have heard that Ford very well could be. The speculation is this: 2013 Mustang Boss 302's in 2 (two) color combinations: Black with Gold Stripes and White with Gold stripes. Both stripe packages will be Gold in color and be over the top with matching 1970's appearance side panel stripes with Boss 302 recognition insignia. If anyone has any further "secret" information on this, post it here..we won't tell anybody! ;)

EDITED:

With NO insider knowledge, I would suggest a special Hertz Boss 302 may be wishful thinking. The Hertz "Fun Collection" which includes a Mustang GT and Dodge Challenger RT already, wouldn't gain a whole lot by adding a very expensive Boss 302 to the mix. If you price the Fun Collection and Prestige Collection (Mercedes and BMW, Volvo etc) cars from Hertz it's apparent they are getting a pretty good rental buck for those cars at less purchase / lease money than the Boss 302. Ford no longer owns Hertz as they did in 2006 when the GT-H came along. The current Hertz owners, which is two Investment Banker groups, are rather "thrifty" with a buck but then again who knows for sure regarding the Boss 302. Interesting topic to pursue though, as this economy has many companies thinking "outside the box" when pursing a buck. Now for the big opinion, I personally don't think a black and gold striped Boss 302 will be Hertz "badged". Just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. regards, Larry

Yep Larry, and guess what? I have an opinion too! :hysterical: I disagree. Of course my opinion is just that. I wouldn't spend the extra bucks on a fun collection Mustang GT unless I got a special deal. The last fun collection Mustang GT I saw was extremely well optioned that would put it's price tag in the $38K (retail) range (It had the Brembo pkg). The Boss would be in the $43K range. You bet your arse that I would absolutely pay a good premium to rent a white/gold Hertz Boss when I wouldn't rent the GT. There's got to be a bunch of people like me that would do the same. You bet that I would absolutely own one of these someday when Hertz would be done with them. I doubt there is a chance at Hertz making money on the resale of a Mustang GT, but I bet they can get what they put in them on the resale of a special Boss. So I think that it would be a very good value proposition. But that's me... and like you said....

Yep Larry, and guess what? I have an opinion too! :hysterical: I disagree. Of course my opinion is just that. I wouldn't spend the extra bucks on a fun collection Mustang GT unless I got a special deal. The last fun collection Mustang GT I saw was extremely well optioned that would put it's price tag in the $38K (retail) range (It had the Brembo pkg). The Boss would be in the $43K range. You bet your arse that I would absolutely pay a good premium to rent a white/gold Hertz Boss when I wouldn't rent the GT. There's got to be a bunch of people like me that would do the same. You bet that I would absolutely own one of these someday when Hertz would be done with them. I doubt there is a chance at Hertz making money on the resale of a Mustang GT, but I bet they can get what they put in them on the resale of a special Boss. So I think that it would be a very good value proposition. But that's me... and like you said....

Jeff, of course time will tell. Hertz did not fare very well with the Corvette program (yellow with black hood stripe) and they are always cautious of going outside the box when they can get some pretty decent factory cars complete with attractive lease / own contracts from BMW, Mercedes, etc. If the LS is selling, then Ford will not be as generous letting Hertz have an attractive contract. The GT-H only came to be because of the previous Shelby-Hertz-Ford connection in 1966 (actually Hertz had generic Shelbys through 1970). There is not a real marketing connect with Hertz and the Boss 302 so the deal happening will come down to how anxious Ford is to unload the LS or Boss 302. As far as the renting of the LS cars, Hertz watches fleet utilization very carefully. The GT-H brought good money when it DID rent, but it's utilization in 2006 (% of days on rent) was pathetic compared to other Fun Collection cars. Just too many rental restrictions but then the 2006 GT-H coupe was sold at much better profits then the '07 convertibles because of lower mileage and condition. When the "new" Hertz owners arrived, they dropped most rental restrictions of the remaining '07 GT-H convertibles and the condition - resale dropped like a rock. As far as resale, Hertz rarely loses on the re-sale end due to their very high volumn buying and daily deprecation of the cars. I guess it will all come down to money. If Ford can't sell the new Boss 302s, then Hertz couldn't fare well on the re-sale. If sales of the Boss and LS is good, then why would they want to reduce the price for Hertz ?? Anyway, a fun topic and I would love to see continuation of the Shelby-Ford-Hertz alliance. regards, Larry (PS, I'm still working on getting a complete original graphic set for my FR500S. A lot of interesting information on the internet regarding the 500S and my car specifically.)

Hertz did not fare very well with the Corvette program (yellow with black hood stripe)

Is that ever saying it nicely. Hertz kept those ZHZ Vettes in the rental line up for much longer than normal trying to get their investment back. It is assumed that Hertz lost money on the ZHZ program.

Steve

Is that ever saying it nicely. Hertz kept those ZHZ Vettes in the rental line up for much longer than normal trying to get their investment back. It is assumed that Hertz lost money on the ZHZ program.

Steve

I guess it must have been cause no one wanted a Vette. :hysterical:

Or perhaps their target market was soooooooo old, they couldn't read the contract and thus did not rent the Vette. :hysterical::hysterical:

OR perhaps it's because it is a Vette. :hysterical: Oh yeah, I just said that.

QSS

Or perhaps their target market was soooooooo old, they couldn't read the contract and thus did not rent the Vette. :hysterical::hysterical:

QSS

The 'vette just wasn't that special, not a particularly attractive shade of yellow (opinion only) and the black hood stripe was bid tacky looking. The Boss 302 and or the Laguna Seca version may be just a little over the top for Hertz. I hope I'm wrong and the rumors work out, as a black and gold Boss 302 or LS would be just really nice, or what would be nicer is a GT-350H from SAI. While our current 2006 and 2007 GT-Hs may not be called a GT-350-H, the 2006 coupes sure appeared in a lot of print and visual media sitting right next to the 1966 GT-350-H with the obvious marketing intent to connect the two cars, claiming a 40th anniversary of the Hertz-Shelby-Ford collaboration. My interviews with Hertz executives verified the clear attempt to connect the two cars for rental and re-sale purposes. Anyway whatever the cars are called, let's hope that Shelby-Hertz-Ford can continue their alliance. regards, Larry

QSS

The biggest difference between the Shelby and the Vette is that when renting the Shelby you were renting something special that was only available as a rental. At least in 2006. Where renting a Vette was no big deal. Anyone could purchase a Vette at their Chevy dealer.

I will say that I've seen more ZHZ Vettes on SoCal freeways then I ever did GTH cars. That could be because Hertz kept the Vettes in service for so long. I can also say that at least 8-10 times I saw a ZHZ Vette parked outside the Shelby Museum here in Vegas. So the Vette did have some takers, just not enough takers.

Steve

Archived