TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting the 10 Rib Whipple installed!!!!!!

William Rodgers

I had my belt shred for the first time, ended up being a pulley, it has been squeaking. I decided it was worth the extra cash rather than get just Metco's, a tensioner, and a new belt. At Tasca now, they are also installing the Kicker Speaker System I bought like 2 years ago, I never got to doing it.

Can not wait to see my New Bling in the engine compartment.

Anyone have the 10 Rib???? Does it change anything???

Are you getting the Whipple 10 Rib.

I have have the Whipple 10 Rib sitting in my shop; waiting to get my supercharger back from whipple. (oil loss).

I was told the kit will fit under the stock hood without lowering engine. Keep us posted.

I had my belt shred for the first time, ended up being a pulley, it has been squeaking. I decided it was worth the extra cash rather than get just Metco's, a tensioner, and a new belt. At Tasca now, they are also installing the Kicker Speaker System I bought like 2 years ago, I never got to doing it.

Dennis had to lower my engine to make it work with the stock hood and it still hit the insulation a little

Maybe he will notch your hood ?

• 2 weeks later...

Curious how you feel about the kicker system after it comes back, you already had the Shaker 1000, did you get the entire kicker system with the sub woofer change out? Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on this.Thanks

Dennis had to lower my engine to make it work with the stock hood and it still hit the insulation a little

Maybe he will notch your hood ?

Same here! They had to put poly mounts on mine. I didn't care, as a matter of fact I was happy about it..... you'll love it! It makes it look all the more intimidating!!!

Curious how you feel about the kicker system after it comes back, you already had the Shaker 1000, did you get the entire kicker system with the sub woofer change out? Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on this.Thanks

Yes I got the entire kicker system, I will keep you updated, the 10 Rib did not arrive yet.

Yes I got the entire kicker system, I will keep you updated, the 10 Rib did not arrive yet.

I finished the re-install of my supercharger and installed the polished 10 rib kit. I didn't have to lower the engine. It has 3/4 of an inch clearance between the new pulley and hood.I removed the insulation and had the underside painted to match car. Now for re-tune!

Zachman

Sweet!!

Is a retune needed with the 10 rib or are you just getting one?

Sounds sweet!

I don't think a retune is needed on most installs. I had my pulley setup built for 14 to 16 lbs. I'm running 9lbs now.

I had Michael Rauscher build me a 302 stroker with CNC heads and cams. I finally have the motor broke in and ready for Dyno. The new motor was eating 6 rib belts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a retune is needed on most installs. I had my pulley setup built for 14 to 16 lbs. I'm running 9lbs now.

I had Michael Rauscher build me a 302 stroker with CNC heads and cams. I finally have the motor broke in and ready for Dyno. The new motor was eating 6 rib belts.

Sounds killer! Please keep us posted on the results of your mods if you don't mind sharing...Cheers!

jpc also lists a 8 rib kit for $630.If anybody has one chime in tell us what you think. Doug-gt350 how do you like your 10 rib kit. spinger-have you upgraded to anything-any broken belts? Thanks for any feedback.

I'm done shredding belts for now. I've replaced two or three pulleys and also replaced my tensioner arm with the Thump RRR. The Whipple sheds belts due to pulley alignment, which usually occurs when the belt rides too close to the back side on some of the stock pulleys. I designed a 100mm idler pulley, with flanges, and designed it so the pulley fits closer to the timing chain cover so the belt is better centered on this pulley and not riding on the edge of this pulley. The stock Ford pulleys are very sharp on the back edge, and, under load, if your belt begins to walk off the backside of the pulley, it will definitely shred. What I noticed was the pulley pedestals that are milled in the timing chain cover are not all milled the same during manufacture. If a pedestal is improperly milled at the factory, it doesn't allow the pulley to be drawn up close enough to the timing chain cover. When this happens, it causes the belt to ride on the edge of the pulley and walk-off the backside of the pulley under load. The pulleys need to be very close to the timing chain covers. The 100mm idler pulley that I had Thump RRR make allowed this pulley to move closer to the timing chain cover while adding the flanges or "lips" to keep the belt from coming off the backside of the pulley.

I posted a rather long thread on this a few months ago. Here is the link below. While rather long, I have posted photos in the thread below displaying the pulley issues that I mentioned here. There is also a photo in this thread indicating where the 100mm idler pulley is located that I discussed in the previous paragraph.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63906-are-gates-belts-inferior-for-supercharged-whipples/page__p__1089847__fromsearch__1#entry1089847

Love it! :happy feet: I use to shread a belt during a high RPM shift, or just trying to pedal it through 2nd gear, now I can take it off the limiter without any problems!!! :peelout:

10 rib is great. Looks good to. No more belts hitting the underside of hood. If I can install it anybody can!

Archived