TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ruh Roh!

supersnake94

Car and Driver mini-article on the same topic, mentions a 600+ HP Mustang GT500 Convertible is likely on the way. :shift:

Interesting that Ford doesn't appear pressured to match the Chevy press releases. I'm taking that as a sign they know they have the lead currently in performance muscle cars and don't want to kill 2012 sales. Chevy is behind and seems more willing to hype the future as they don't currently offer a competitive product. Also, Car and Driver appears to be standing behind their March GT500 rumor article.

Car and Driver mini-article on the same topic, mentions a 600+ HP Mustang GT500 Convertible is likely on the way. :shift:

Interesting that Ford doesn't appear pressured to match the Chevy press releases. I'm taking that as a sign they know they have the lead currently in performance muscle cars and don't want to kill 2012 sales. Chevy is behind and seems more willing to hype the future as they don't currently offer a competitive product. Also, Car and Driver appears to be standing behind their March GT500 rumor article.

One is for show, the other is for go. Sums-up ZL1 vs. GT500.

The REAL bitch for me is that I just traded my 2011 for a 2012 - to get Recaro seats, and in-case I wouldn't care for whatever Ford decided to offer for 2013. Little did I know that I'd be discussing trade-in terms before I actually took possession. spend.gif

Anybody wants a cherry 2011, or a yet-to-be titled 2012, I'll cut you a deal. :)

Chevy is behind and seems more willing to hype the future as they don't currently offer a competitive product. [/url]

Not that I like Chevy, but...

They are not behind. I read an article that stated the camaro sales have overcome the mustang sales in 2011.

Not that I like Chevy, but...

They are not behind. I read an article that stated the camaro sales have overcome the mustang sales in 2011.

The Camaro out sold the Mustang in 2010 as well, and was only a touch over 5000 units behind the Mustang in '09, despite not being available for the first 3 months of the year.

However, I suspect that he was refering to GM not having a Camaro that is competetive with the GT500 performance wise. Rather than with the Mustang line as a whole.

The Camaro out sold the Mustang in 2010 as well, and was only a touch over 5000 units behind the Mustang in '09, despite not being available for the first 3 months of the year.

However, I suspect that he was refering to GM not having a Camaro that is competetive with the GT500 performance wise. Rather than with the Mustang line as a whole.

Yes. I was speaking of performance. At this point the magazines almost don't bother doing performance comparisons with the Mustang vs Camaro as the Camaro just gets smacked down so hard. That, and an aging Vette platform, probably motivated Chevy to upgrade the Camaro's performance with the ZL1 to the point it probably will eat into Vette sales as much or more than Mustang sales.

Camaro's do sell better than the Mustang. I think the Mustang platform is probably suffering from its age as far as people buying for style. The 2013 refresh may help, but until the new platform shows up in 2014.5-2015 I wouldn't expect to see much change in the sales numbers. The ZL1 is going to offer more than enough performance to satisfy those who want a Camaro that goes fast.

I hope Ford avoids chasing the Camaro's stying with the chopped top/high door/cramped cockpit look for the new platform. It looks good on the street. But just not alot of fun to spend time in.

Yes. I was speaking of performance. At this point the magazines almost don't bother doing performance comparisons with the Mustang vs Camaro as the Camaro just gets smacked down so hard.

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that it's been done so many times than that the Mustang wins. There's no point anymore, since very few changes have been made to either car since the 5 liter came back.

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that it's been done so many times than that the Mustang wins. There's no point anymore, since very few changes have been made to either car since the 5 liter came back.

The funniest part is running up against Camaro people who keep hanging their hat on the whole "live axle" thing. True, they discovered a live axle buried near Stonehenge, but the fact that Mustang beats Camaro down SO badly is as much a testament to GM's half-assed IRS implementation as the wizardry Ford worked to get so much out of so little.

There's no question I'd prefer a state-of-the-art IRS implementation to even the best solid axle, but not THAT IRS over THIS solid axle - and certainly not all the time. I've come to think of the difference as CD's versus Vinyl. You'll never match a CD's digital fidelity, but you'll ALSO never match vinyl's warmth and vibrance. And having driven both, I FAR prefer Mustang's more "analog", predictable, and "connected" feel - no matter how much "better" a technology IRS happens to be.

It's like specializing in a particular type of firearm, especially when you're putting-up a bolt action against an AK-47. The old rifle is just BOUND to be more accurate.

Well that will all change when the ZL1 comes out. The car mag racks will be wall to wall with Camaro vs. Mustang issues.

Can Ford keep their lead? We'll know in 5 months or so.

Archived