TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire pressure

wanted2b

I just installed the new wheels and tires. I'm playing with the tire pressure to see about ride and performance. Does anyone have and idea how much pressure frt and rear

255x35x20 frt:

295x35x20 rear:

Side wall says Max is 50lbs.

Guess I may have to call the factory and see what they recommend.

Thanks in advance

Side wall says Max is 50lbs.

The rating on the sidewall is for MAXIMUM pressure (in PSI) at MAXIMUM load (in Lbs.).

That means, you would NEVER put 50 psi in that tire unless you had the maximum load PER TIRE in/on the car.

I don't know the answer to your question and in fact I want to know myself but I just wanted to be sure everyone knows what the sidewall rating is for. I KNOW PEOPLE THAT THINK THAT IS THE RECOMMENED PRESSURE, and run their vehicle at that pressure (my neighbor in her pick-up truck, for example)! You'll wear the center out of the tire in short time running that kind of pressure without a load on the tire.

I think the tire mfgr. has a recommended pressure for the tire but you may have to know what weight the tire will be subjected to.

I'd go by what others have had success with before going through the trouble of scaling my car and adjusting pressure as per the mfgr.

Phill

I was once told that it should be around 10 lbs every 100 lbs of vehicle weight. so a 3400 lbs car would run 34 psi.

Also heard at the track the only sure way to know is after driving, and the tires are hot, you take the temps. One on the outside and inside, then one in the middle of the tread. When all three of the tempetures are all the same, then you would be at the exact pressure needed.

As for our car, running the tires at 34 psi seems the best. I get good even wear, and it drives better.

I normally run 35 psi. If my hemorrhoids are bothering me, I run 32 psi. If I'm taking a long trip and want a little extra gas mileage, I run them up to 40 psi. 35 is probably the best compromise. Running them at 30 or 40 will cause additional wear either on the outer edges or inner tread depending on which inflation number you are using. :shift:

I normally run 35 psi. If my hemorrhoids are bothering me, I run 32 psi.

Are you running the 20" SS wheels/tires or the stock '10+ GT500 19" F1's?

Because that's what I think he's asking about (20" SS wheels/tires).

I know that's what *I'm* asking about...What the SS guys run in their tires.

TIA,

Phill

Are you running the 20" SS wheels/tires or the stock '10+ GT500 19" F1's?

Because that's what I think he's asking about (20" SS wheels/tires).

I know that's what *I'm* asking about...What the SS guys run in their tires.

TIA,

Phill

Since I started running radial tires on my Mustangs back in about 1975, I've run the numbers I posted. That was on FR70x14's, 225/60x15's, 245/45x17's, 275/40x17's, plus the present 19" rims on my non-SVT 2011 Shelby. Even on my present 1970 Mach 1 I'll normally run 30 psi for a smoother ride but 35 for better handling and on highway trips. 35 psi is a good compromise on most tires today period.

:shift:

I tried the 35 psi in the tires today and I'm not happy with the way they sit. First time I've ever had such a low profile tire on any car. 255x35x20 frt and 295x35x20 rear. It just looks like they are 1/2 flat all the time. Keep your ears open there may be another set of wheels and tires for sale. They have less than 100 miles on them. Anyone interested? Give me a shout.

I tried the 35 psi in the tires today and I'm not happy with the way they sit. First time I've ever had such a low profile tire on any car. 255x35x20 frt and 295x35x20 rear. It just looks like they are 1/2 flat all the time. Keep your ears open there may be another set of wheels and tires for sale. They have less than 100 miles on them. Anyone interested? Give me a shout.

If they look "half flat" then you know you don't have enough tire pressure. For track purposes, the sidewall needs to be firm to prevent rim "rolling" over the tire. I am still running my stock tires on the track and the PSI that seems to have just enough rigidity in the sidewall and keep the temperatures even on the tire is about 39 (REAR)/40 (FRONT) PSI on a warmed up tire. Of course, it really depends on the tire you have. Play with it a little and see what FEELS right with you.

• 3 weeks later...

a low profile tire usually runs higher pressures 40-42 lbs, which is the recommended pressure for my daughter's Honda Civic with 17" rims

by comparison for the stock 15" rims the recommended pressure is 30 lbs

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ran 35 PSI in my 20 inch by 255 by 35 Proxes 4 on front tires. Bad mistake!!

Feathered the outer edge both inside and out . I now run 45 PSI cold.

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS I HAVE SAME TIRES AND RUN 35 PSI GUESS I WILL BE BRING THEM UP SOME.

Archived