TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Ponies in the Poconos & Carlisle

SGT0767

Hi Tony,

Let me know as things progress. I'll be glad to help in any way that I can.

Mike

Same here, as I will soon be relocating back to the east coast (Maryland) from New Mexico. I left Pennsylvania 1.5 years ago to go to

New Mexico but am heading back. I surely will want to participate (and help out) in many of the events on the east coast.

Tim

Same here, as I will soon be relocating back to the east coast (Maryland) from New Mexico. I left Pennsylvania 1.5 years ago to go to

New Mexico but am heading back. I surely will want to participate (and help out) in many of the events on the east coast.

Tim

boooo move back to PA its much cooler :hysterical:

boooo move back to PA its much cooler :hysterical:

True, but my job will be in Maryland. Too long of a commute, even if I am driving a Shelby. If I happen to see a job

opening in Pa (where I used to work) I'll apply. I'd love to get back to eastern Pa. For now I will have to do with

some weekend visits.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking into swapping my back tires for drag radials, and I'm wondering if they will be suitable to the Poconos event. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Nitto NT05R or 555Rs. I also plan to add upper/lower control arms. Any opinions on whether these tires will be suitable for the type of track driving in this event?

Thanks!

I'm looking into swapping my back tires for drag radials, and I'm wondering if they will be suitable to the Poconos event. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Nitto NT05R or 555Rs. I also plan to add upper/lower control arms. Any opinions on whether these tires will be suitable for the type of track driving in this event?

Thanks!

Palace,

Pococno (2011 event) has been officially changed to Summit Point in 2012 for the 50th Celebration east. We will also have an open drag session at Carlisle as well. See the thread on the 50th celebration east for more details.

Tony356 is the man to answer your question as not only is he the track coordinator he has a bunch of experience at Summit...

Hope to see you at Carlisle in June!

Andy

Thanks Andy. I was just checking out the site for Carlisle, but it sounds like it won't matter, for me at least. All of the packages with track time require a 4 point roll cage for verts, which I do not have. I've resisted doing that mainly because I primarily use the car for weekend cruising. I'm also not too crazy about welding a chunky rollbar to the car (or bolting), as I'm thinking that would make the backseat even more uncomfortable (I actually have people sit back there sometimes). I also heard that adding a rollbar will devalue the car since it is somewhat limited. I'm thinking that is less of an issue now since Ford keeps making the GT500 year after year, whereas I think the original announcement was to make them for a 5 year run.

In any case, I would like to be able to drive the car in the periodic race events, but the rollbar may be a dealbreaker for me.

IIRC, the Poconos event did not require a rollcage, or at least that is what I was told before the event - but I was not able to attend that one. If there was a rollcage that didn't require drilling and/or welding, I'd get one, but I doubt that those exist.

Thanks!

Palace,

Pococno (2011 event) has been officially changed to Summit Point in 2012 for the 50th Celebration east. We will also have an open drag session at Carlisle as well. See the thread on the 50th celebration east for more details.

Tony356 is the man to answer your question as not only is he the track coordinator he has a bunch of experience at Summit...

Hope to see you at Carlisle in June!

Andy

Not exactly, Ponies in the Poconos original May 2012 date was not available due to construction at Pocono Raceway that was not scheduled to be completed until about June. After much consideration we decided to throw our support behind John Keller and the Carlisle/Summit Point event and we are currently evaluating a possible fall event either back at Pocono or possibly at NJMP. As always we will keep everyone updated on what is happening - both here on Team Shelby and on the Ponies website. I look forward to seeing all my N.E. friends again this year at Carlisle. :beerchug:

And to answer the original question: Drag radials are really not suitable for use on a road course. My understanding is that the 555R would be the better of the two, however still not optimal for a road course. Aspect ratio would also play a role in what would work best for you as most drag radials will have a taller ratio than a road course tire.

Hope that helps you a little.

Sean

Watkins Glen or Lime Rock or NJ Motorsorts Park. A few other choices in the area. Pocono is for NASCAR anyway. Pick a road course.
I don't want to sound nasty there Dennis but, there is a 3.5 mile road course inside the tri-oval. When the event was at Pocono we did two different road courses. The north end (that included turn 3) on Thursday and the south end (that included turn 1) on Friday.

• 5 months later...

Sean, do you know when will be the next Ponies in the Poconos or Northeast?

It is something that SMC Events is working on now. I expect to have a few details in the next month or so and an official announcement BEFORE October. Stay tuned!

We are still in the negotiations stage, so nothing is set in stone as of now. I am always open to ideas and suggestions!

Thanks for the quick reply, Sean, that's great news and I'm happy to hear it.

I enjoyed Ponies in the Poconos and it would be difficult to improve on it. Trying different tracks each year would be exciting to do. New Jersey Motorsports Park with its "Thunderbolt" 2.25 mile long raceway looks pretty cool.

I realize that this might not be appropriate and maybe not your forte, but something for the women to do while their men are in class/training would be cool for them too. Maybe I could help find a spa or mall for them nearby.

I also highly recommend including a "Vehicle Preparation for Track Time" class. It was unfortunate to hear of people losing their brakes on the track for example, because they did not change their brake fluid or expect race car handling from their stock tires, etc. I can be of help with that by doing the research etc and preparing instruction. I have some professional experience with teaching if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived