TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Ponies in the Poconos & Carlisle

SGT0767

Just wondering if the 2012 Ponies in the Poconos was in the planning stages as well as any idea of when it might be held. It was a great time this year and I want to make to plans on attending again.

Also, I remember some discussion on special events for SAI's 50th at Carlisle and want to see how things were progressing on that event as well.

Mike

Just wondering if the 2012 Ponies in the Poconos was in the planning stages as well as any idea of when it might be held. It was a great time this year and I want to make to plans on attending again.

Also, I remember some discussion on special events for SAI's 50th at Carlisle and want to see how things were progressing on that event as well.

Mike

Stay tuned Mike. The NE guys are working on this event.

Thanks Tony,

It is almost time to put the girls into hibernation.

I'll need something to look forward to and keep me going over the long winter months. ;)

Mike

I hear ya Mike.... maybe I'll have to cruise around the Poconos and find more twisty turny roads!!! :happy feet:

What I can tell you right now is that Pocono Raceway will be closed until next June for major improvements. So that means that we will probably be looking at a new venue for nexts years event. There are several that we are looking into and we will let you know as soon as we have some good reliable info.

Well, I can chime in on Carlisle... sort of... I'm actively working with the NE crew and Carlisle and all I can release at this point is : wow! You thought last year was cool?? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!

Something for the "girls" to dream about over winter hibernation. :hysterical:

What I can tell you right now is that Pocono Raceway will be closed until next June for major improvements. So that means that we will probably be looking at a new venue for nexts years event. There are several that we are looking into and we will let you know as soon as we have some good reliable info.

While you search for another venue,.....I just wanted to pass on some feedback I have received from several TS members.........

ALL Northeast region events for 2011 have taken plave exclusively in Pennsylvania. (With the exception of the NY Auto Show)

The Northeast Region comprises Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachussetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and PA.

While I personally cannot complain being in such close proximity to PA, I thought as the venue for this event is changing, you should be aware.

Thanks for all your hard work to make great events come to life! :salute:

Actually SAAC 37 which is scheduled for June 7-9, 2012 will be at Watkins Glen.

I already booked my room for this. The Glen should be on everyone's bucket list of tracks to drive. It is just that good. Had the boss there this year but can't wait to get the 350 there next year with SAAC.

Well, I can chime in on Carlisle... sort of... I'm actively working with the NE crew and Carlisle and all I can release at this point is : wow! You thought last year was cool?? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!

ALL Northeast region events for 2011 have taken plave exclusively in Pennsylvania. (With the exception of the NY Auto Show)

The Northeast Region comprises Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachussetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and PA.

Really... I've never seen anyone on the board from Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont.

And I would bet they use PA because the majority of owners are in the PA, NJ, NY area.

Now Watkins Glen sounds nice!

:salute:

I can only speak for Carlisle but it's hard to have the Carlisle Ford nationals outside of Carlisle, PA. We are kind of committed to having the Carlisle nationals at Carlisle. :hysterical:

Oh and Tony, The KR WILL be at SAAC 37. Yeah yeah I know I'll probably drive it like a little lady around the track and the pros (read: You and GP) will be laughing at me but hey at least it will be on the track.

It will be a busy couple of weeks! Back to back weeks of SAAC 37 and Carlisle...

What about having a driving event at a banked oval in place of a road course??

I can only speak for Carlisle but it's hard to have the Carlisle Ford nationals outside of Carlisle, PA. We are kind of committed to having the Carlisle nationals at Carlisle. :hysterical:

:hysterical:

newsflash.....

having a gravel parking lot to park shelbys at "an existing event" is not hosting or putting on anything much in actuality.....

I mean...Im just sayin....... :hysterical:

Really... I've never seen anyone on the board from Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont.

And I would bet they use PA because the majority of owners are in the PA, NJ, NY area.

If you check my avatar, you will find that New Hampshire is represented and I was at both Ponies in the Poconos and Carlisle. :alien: :D

Mike

:hysterical:

newsflash.....

having a gravel parking lot to park shelbys at "an existing event" is not hosting or putting on anything much in actuality.....

I mean...Im just sayin....... :hysterical:

Oh, trust me when I say that we heard loud and clear about the parking! We chose that area primarily to keep the TS NE cars close to the "Hall of Kings KR display" and the fact that EVERY SINGLE year ( except of course last year ) it rained and the show field turns to a grassy swamp. Mud or gravel , take your pick... If you've attended Carlisle regularly then you know the how the weather goes. The show is about being a part of the biggest Ford event in the world and with an event that big you have to make some compromises.

That being said, I felt it worked well EXCEPT for the gravel/dust. A first year event like that we had no refference to estimate cars or attendees. We now have the facts and will greatly improve the event for 2012.

John Keller organized the lunch, show and awards for us last year so I'm unsure what more he could have done given that the only area we had was the area outside the Hall of Kings.

We easily were the biggest group there last year and with the 50th in 2012 we need to think waaayyy bigger. There are few options both inside and outside the fairgrounds.

Alos, we are working on a host hotel to keep all attendees together and will try to have some "outside of Carlisle" events. Stay tuned....

This is SAI's 50th and they want it one to remember so have some faith and rest assured NO gravel this year :hysterical:

Oh and Tony, The KR WILL be at SAAC 37. Yeah yeah I know I'll probably drive it like a little lady around the track and the pros (read: You and GP) will be laughing at me but hey at least it will be on the track.

It will be a busy couple of weeks! Back to back weeks of SAAC 37 and Carlisle...

What about having a driving event at a banked oval in place of a road course??

OMG! I cannot believe I missed this. I am so proud of you. You think you love your car now, wait until you drive it at speed on a road course like the glen. You will be so frigging thrilled with the experience at first. Then, you will be pissed about all the time that baby has spent in the garage and at shows when you could have been beating on her at the limit!! Just bustin' 'em. Would love to ride with you if your ok with it and we can get SAAC to approve.

We gotta figure out how to do the bash, SAAC 37, Carlisle, and then head south to the Terlingua event. Thats a lot of time off, a lot of cash, and a lot of things to get done on the honey do list!

If you check my avatar, you will find that New Hampshire is represented and I was at both Ponies in the Poconos and Carlisle. :alien: :D

Mike

Don't get me wrong my NH friend... I love you all! :grouphug:

But an event in ME or NH would be tough to draw a crowd.

I would agree that there is probably more T.S. member in either PA, NJ, or NY than there are in all three states of VT, NH, and ME put together. I would also agree that since the organizers of these events tend to live in PA, NJ, or NY, it only makes more sense to arrange a venue and all of the other peripheral activities in one of those states. The events that I attended last year were very well put together and well run so I don't have any qualms about attended future events in one of those states.

That said, there were a lot of events that I was not able to make due to the distance and time. My bad for living so far out in the sticks :fool: A few more years, I'll be retired and then I can make more of the events. :banana piano: However, if there were events in eastern NY, CT, or MA, there might be more participation from VT, NH, and ME Shelby owners than you might think. The local cobra club routinely has 20 - 30 members show up for a lot of events and those events are no where near as professionally run as the TS ones that I attended last year. Even though Watkins Glen is a good hike, it is still a lot closer than most of the events in PA and I expect that a good number of NH, VT, and probably ME owners will make the trip for SAAC and also any TS events.

Just my $.02

Mike

you should attend Tasca one of these years....you would be surprised how many Shelbys are in New England....

Mass & CT were conveniently not mentioned in your post..........many Shelbys there too.......

you should attend Tasca one of these years....you would be surprised how many Shelbys are in New England....

Mass & CT were conveniently not mentioned in your post..........many Shelbys there too.......

Aren't all those states over there about the size of one real state anyhow??? :poke::hysterical::finger: Just kidding! Love you guys :grouphug: and I spend quite a bit of time up there with Grand Am. You guys get some of the best tracks! NJ Motorsports park, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, etc. When I'm rich and infamous hopefully I can go to all the events. Would love to make Carlisle someday here.

I would agree that there is probably more T.S. member in either PA, NJ, or NY than there are in all three states of VT, NH, and ME put together. I would also agree that since the organizers of these events tend to live in PA, NJ, or NY, it only makes more sense to arrange a venue and all of the other peripheral activities in one of those states. The events that I attended last year were very well put together and well run so I don't have any qualms about attended future events in one of those states.

That said, there were a lot of events that I was not able to make due to the distance and time. My bad for living so far out in the sticks :fool: A few more years, I'll be retired and then I can make more of the events. :banana piano: However, if there were events in eastern NH, CT, or MA, there might be more participation from VT, NH, and ME Shelby owners than you might think. The local cobra club routinely has 20 - 30 members show up for a lot of events and those events are no where near as professionally run as the TS ones that I attended last year. Even though Watkins Glen is a good hike, it is still a lot closer than most of the events in PA and I expect that a good number of NH, VT, and probably ME owners will make the trip for SAAC and also any TS events.

Just my $.02

Mike

Mike,

Plans are in the works to formalize the organizational structure of the NE region. There is talk of having outlying areas of the region have a few folks organize, plan and run events in their own areas but still be covered under the NE region umbrella. I'm sure volunteers will be needed. John Keller is working on some things so stay tuned. This region thing is still new but we are off to a good start. Thanks for your support and your suggestions.

Get out and drive 'em as our window of opportunity is slowly closing.................

Tony

Archived