TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Goodyear F1 Warning Tire coming apart

No, This has not been a very fun experience!

I did speak with a lady in Goodyear cust service and she was very helpful. my new tire will be here monday morning. As far as getting Goodyear to actually pay for it may be a diff story but in emailing pics etc appears they will.

Someone mentioned about date codes. If you read the DOT number the last 4 are the build date Wk then day mine is 4806 so 48th wk of 2006

Front tires on mine are 4306 43rd week of 2006. So far other tires look fine. This could be related to the messed up quarter same area

That was me that mentioned date codes TTB...glad you checked it out. Since they are 5 weeks apart, the chances of the fronts having a similar issue are almost nil unless every tire in between had the issue.

Again, good luck!

Dave

Your right Judy. Someone else in here had to go to war with his dealer to get them replaced. It happened three times if I remember correctly,then he just bought new rims and tires. He had a vibration issue,not a bubble. When he changed tires the vibration stopped.

I would get both rears replaced.

:shift: Yes, that's right I had the same thing when I got my car vibration issue, however the dealer knew about it. :stats: He is replaceing all 4, but I'm still waiting for the tires. :banghead: Its been since Sept :finger:

A similar thing happened to me just today, I put about 1,100 miles on mine before I put it away for the winter, every couple of weeks I would back it out of the garage and warm it up for a few minutes and then pull it back in to the same spot. Last fall when I parked it was a smooth as silk, today I finally took it out for a spin. Right away I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel starting at about 50 mph, at first I thought that I flat spotted the tires from sitting in the same place for so long and figured that it would go away. I was wrong, the further I got from home the worse it got, about 30 miles from home it was getting so bad that I had to pull off the highway and check, I could not find or see anything wrong. I turn back for home trying very hard to keep my cool (hard to do on the interstate going 45 mph in a GT500) by the time I got back home anything over 45 mph it would start to vibrate real bad. It now is back in the garage until Monday morning and then off to the dealer it goes; hopefully I make it for they are 60 miles away.

I checked the tire pressure before I took it out and all 4 tires were still around 33 psi cold and they still were good when I got back home. I crawled all over the tires when I got home and could not find anything loose or out of place, everything looks just fine. On the bright side, I should get some really good gas mileage Monday on the way to the dealership.

• 2 weeks later...
A similar thing happened to me just today, I put about 1,100 miles on mine before I put it away for the winter, every couple of weeks I would back it out of the garage and warm it up for a few minutes and then pull it back in to the same spot. Last fall when I parked it was a smooth as silk, today I finally took it out for a spin. Right away I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel starting at about 50 mph, at first I thought that I flat spotted the tires from sitting in the same place for so long and figured that it would go away. I was wrong, the further I got from home the worse it got, about 30 miles from home it was getting so bad that I had to pull off the highway and check, I could not find or see anything wrong. I turn back for home trying very hard to keep my cool (hard to do on the interstate going 45 mph in a GT500) by the time I got back home anything over 45 mph it would start to vibrate real bad. It now is back in the garage until Monday morning and then off to the dealer it goes; hopefully I make it for they are 60 miles away.

I checked the tire pressure before I took it out and all 4 tires were still around 33 psi cold and they still were good when I got back home. I crawled all over the tires when I got home and could not find anything loose or out of place, everything looks just fine. On the bright side, I should get some really good gas mileage Monday on the way to the dealership.

Monday, April 9

My local FORD dealer was very helpful, they did everything they could to make the vibration go away even rebalancing all four tires and switching them from right to left but the vibration was still there. They did send me to the local “Tires Plus” store for them to have a go at it. They found the rear tires OK but the front tires were bad, they used a Hunter GSP9700 wheel balancer that checks for “Wheel Force Variation” something that I have never heard of before. They tried everything including un-mounting the tires and matching them to the rim that best matched that particular tire. They managed to get one of the two tires within speck but just barely the second tire just could not be balanced. Things were much better on the way home but I can still feel a slight vibration at normal highway speeds. The technician that worked on my car today said he would not have these two tires on his car, now to get back to Ford and Goodyear tomorrow to see what they will do with these tires, I know I don’t want them on my car.

:shift: Yes, that's right I had the same thing when I got my car vibration issue, however the dealer knew about it. :stats: He is replaceing all 4, but I'm still waiting for the tires. :banghead: Its been since Sept :finger:

I can't imagine why you have been waiting since Sept for tires. What is the hold up???

We did a GT Mustang into a GT500 clone and ordered the wheels and tires and they came in two days!

Monday, April 9

My local FORD dealer was very helpful, they did everything they could to make the vibration go away even rebalancing all four tires and switching them from right to left but the vibration was still there. They did send me to the local “Tires Plus” store for them to have a go at it. They found the rear tires OK but the front tires were bad, they used a Hunter GSP9700 wheel balancer that checks for “Wheel Force Variation” something that I have never heard of before. They tried everything including un-mounting the tires and matching them to the rim that best matched that particular tire. They managed to get one of the two tires within speck but just barely the second tire just could not be balanced. Things were much better on the way home but I can still feel a slight vibration at normal highway speeds. The technician that worked on my car today said he would not have these two tires on his car, now to get back to Ford and Goodyear tomorrow to see what they will do with these tires, I know I don’t want them on my car.

Wow, you must have an oddball issue Jerry. Are you saying that when they spin them on the balancer they appear in balance, but then when you drive it they vibrate? Or are you saying they can't get them to balance on the machine? If it's the latter, one other idea is to break the bead and spin the tire 180 degrees, re-air it, and try to balance again.

Also, I assume you are allowing them to put weights on both the inside and outside of the wheel? Some people used to request we only put weights on the inside for appearance purposes...and that works fine about 90% of the time, but sometimes you need them on both sides.

Good luck!

Wow, you must have an oddball issue Jerry. Are you saying that when they spin them on the balancer they appear in balance, but then when you drive it they vibrate? Or are you saying they can't get them to balance on the machine? If it's the latter, one other idea is to break the bead and spin the tire 180 degrees, re-air it, and try to balance again.

Also, I assume you are allowing them to put weights on both the inside and outside of the wheel? Some people used to request we only put weights on the inside for appearance purposes...and that works fine about 90% of the time, but sometimes you need them on both sides.

Good luck!

Basically that is what they did, the machine matches the tire to the rim, it tells them just how far to move the tire on the rim to get the best match. One tire they did get to balance but just barely, the second tire they could not get to balance within specifications at all. On my Ford dealers tire balancer the tires balanced out just fine but the balancer that they used actually placed a load on the tire while they are spinning it and this supposedly checks for high and low and soft and hard spots on the tire. I have never seen this done before let alone even here about it, I do know that the whole process was somewhat time consuming. I think I learned a lot today about tire balancing, here is the web site for the tire and wheel balancer that they used today http://www.gsp9700.com/

I wonder why TTB edited out all his posts on this thread??

Basically that is what they did, the machine matches the tire to the rim, it tells them just how far to move the tire on the rim to get the best match. One tire they did get to balance but just barely, the second tire they could not get to balance within specifications at all. On my Ford dealers tire balancer the tires balanced out just fine but the balancer that they used actually placed a load on the tire while they are spinning it and this supposedly checks for high and low and soft and hard spots on the tire. I have never seen this done before let alone even here about it, I do know that the whole process was somewhat time consuming. I think I learned a lot today about tire balancing, here is the web site for the tire and wheel balancer that they used today http://www.gsp9700.com/

I used Hunter equipment when I was a tech...they make good stuff. We used their "light-a-line" thrust alignment rack, which was state of the art at the time...no longer I"m sure.

I was in the biz when 4-wheel alignments were new...except on Corvettes. As a matter of fact, the first Corvette I did was before we had the light-a-line, and what we did was back the Corvette on the FRONT end alignment rack and align it, then flip it around and do the front. This was tricky, because when you do the back end, you have to mentally swap all the measurements...had to set the rear tires with 1/8" toe OUT rather than toe IN since it was on the rack backwards...funny.

Anyway, good luck with your vibration...hope they find it.

Archived