TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Goodyear F1 Warning Tire coming apart

That is just crazy, I am glad to hear that you were able to pull over before anything else happened. I have heard of a couple of people experiencing problems with the F1 tires, interesting. I'm glad I changed out my stock wheels and tires for aftermarket ones. Do you plan on replacing them with the same tires or switching to another brand?

Not that i am a tire expert or anything near that... but i dont think there is any problem with the Eagle F1 line of tires as a whole. They are really good tires for a mix of performance and street driving. However i doo hope that they replace all four of your tires even though i would doubt there is a problem with all 4 tires unless it was caused by some kind of conditions they all experienced while sitting in your garage, even though i doubt you did anything at all to cause this. If there was a seriouse problem with Eagle F1 tires then you would hear warnings about it all over the news like back in the day when explorers had a problem with their firestone tires. I like the F1s but maybe thats just me, plus performance tires are a bit on the EXPENSIVE side :chairshot: , haha so take the free ones!

I noticed a vibration developing on mine between 55-70 mph just before I bought the new rims and tires last week. Steering wheel was really starting to shudder. I hadn't looked at the sidewalls yet though, just thought it was a balancing issue. I'll need to take a closer look tonight.

As thick as the sidewalls are on these performance tires to prevent rollover, do you thinkt hat perhaps your tire pressure wasn't checked properly during PDI, and under-inflation caused this to happen? If you run a while on an underinflated tire, it can buckle out the sidewall like that.

Just curious,

Check your tire pressure people, that's all that's keeping you alive sometimes!

Peace -

DC

Not really sure what I should do. This just happened this evening out for a leisurly drive. Friend who was with me felt vibration before I did. Felt like it was driving fine. Makes me very leary of the other tires now. My other shelby had some pretty high speed runs in it never thinking of a tire doing this.

Pretty much the entire circumference around tire is bulged feels like you could poke your finger through it. If I try to add air you can hear it popping coming apart with anything near 30psi. Did not want to damage car so just called road side assistance. Spent an hour on side of road waiting for flatbed. This happened about 5 miles from home.

Sent an email to Goodyear and will post when I hear back from them. WOuld like for all 4 tires to be replaced or at least checked out.

Wow TTB, I've never seen anything like that on a NEW tire (seen it on many old ones - and I worked as a tech for 8 years).

I'm not sure how you do it, but somehow there's a way to find a serial number on each tire so you can see how closely together they were made.

What I'd do is:

1) Wait for an explanation from Goodyear.

2) Depending on the explanation.....

3) If the explanation was a process issue, and all your tires were made fairly close to each other...then I'd ask for all new tires.

4) If they find a foreign object in the tire or something that's obviously a "one off" issue, then I'd keep the other 3 tires.

Also keep in mind that since the front tires are different size, they probably didn't go through the same process as the rears. In that case, I'd likely only ask for new REAR tires.

Good luck. Dave

As thick as the sidewalls are on these performance tires to prevent rollover, do you thinkt hat perhaps your tire pressure wasn't checked properly during PDI, and under-inflation caused this to happen? If you run a while on an underinflated tire, it can buckle out the sidewall like that.

Just curious,

Check your tire pressure people, that's all that's keeping you alive sometimes!

Peace -

DC

If they were underinflated, wouldn't the TPMS have turned a light on earlier? :headscratch:

Boy TTB, I think Coldy's right... if you didn't have bad luck you probably wouldn't have any luck at all!!

:idea: , I think I have an explanation... was there a strange white dog, looking something like this hanging around your car recently? He's been peeing on everything recently... we might need to diaper the dog!

post-2704-1175182120_thumb.jpg

Boy TTB, I think Coldy's right... if you didn't have bad luck you probably wouldn't have any luck at all!!

:idea: , I think I have an explanation... was there a strange white dog, looking something like this hanging around your car recently? He's been peeing on everything recently... we might need to diaper the dog!

How about we Neuter the Snoop Dog? :hysterical:

tires do fail. usually if there is a defect failure it will happen sooner than later. You might ask if all the tires will be replaced because of the same lot. I had a Parelli blow out on a Ford 500 with 50 miles on it. It happens but I believe the tires are still great. Goodyear can't afford to put out trash especially after Firestone problems.

tires do fail. usually if there is a defect failure it will happen sooner than later. You might ask if all the tires will be replaced because of the same lot. I had a Parelli blow out on a Ford 500 with 50 miles on it. It happens but I believe the tires are still great. Goodyear can't afford to put out trash especially after Firestone problems.

How do you know they were in the same lot? The fronts are different sizes, and may have been made on a completely different line.

I am being told I will have to wait 1 1/2 wks to get a tire. This car has more miles on a flatbed than driving.. lol :hysterical:

Tell ford to get one from Tire Rack. They have them in stock. :headspin:

Called Goodyear corporate and about the time the guy was trying to figure out what to do my cell phone died.

That's it. Your luck is downright horrible. I am making a formal request. If there is ever a thunderstorm overhead, please stand as far from me as possible.

Thank you.

The good news you can tell Goodyear is that they don't have to waste time writing a big long address on the box to send to you.

The delivery guy just needs to walk outside, and look for the black cloud that is over your head to find you. He may need some extra life insurance in case a boat falls on you in the middle of the desert or something, and he is near enough to get struck by it.

P.S. If you ever decide to move, please move to like Canada, I'll stay down here in the South. :hysterical2:

Is it possible that something that messed up the paint also did something to the tire? It got stuck on the line or something??? It seems like it would be lotto type odds for you to get the bad paint and the bad tire if there were not some type of connection between the two.

I feel for you. It's a great car but your experience has been one that no one should ever have to endure.

Not really sure what I should do. This just happened this evening out for a leisurly drive. Friend who was with me felt vibration before I did. Felt like it was driving fine. Makes me very leary of the other tires now. My other shelby had some pretty high speed runs in it never thinking of a tire doing this.

Pretty much the entire circumference around tire is bulged feels like you could poke your finger through it. If I try to add air you can hear it popping coming apart with anything near 30psi. Did not want to damage car so just called road side assistance. Spent an hour on side of road waiting for flatbed. This happened about 5 miles from home.

Sent an email to Goodyear and will post when I hear back from them. WOuld like for all 4 tires to be replaced or at least checked out.

I recently read on another forum about this same thing happening to another

new Shelby GT500 owner

I will try and look for the article.

He had this happen to 3 tires!!!!!!

then when he got new ones---it happened AGAIN I believe to 2 more....

I will definately look for this forum

Judy

Archived