TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differential Clutch Pack Question

Texas Bird

I have a 2010 GT500 I purchased new. Car had 12 miles on it and was still in the ?detuned? mode. At about 3500 miles I thought I had a ghost in the car at times. What started as a barely audible woo...woo...woo that you couldn't nail down when you turned either direction at a few MPH got worse quick. On inspection, the service writer at the dealer told me that the carbon fiber clutch plates in the clutch pack were coming apart. As he explained, powdering. Also replaced the right axle that was warped out of spec. Original oil level was good. His explanation of why the clutch pack went out was that the car was not driven enough as I had admitted that it had sat up to a month and a half at times. He said it was the top of the clutch pack at rest, sticking out of the oil was the problem. Said the friction modifier wasn't in contact with the carbon discs often enough and that is why they started to discintigrate. Car has seen 0 abuse. Longest burn out to date was maybe 2 foot long in 1 gear from a rolling start. No side stepping the clutch or any of that sillyness.

Question in all this is, has anyone heard of this or is he blowing smoke? Or did they miss the friction modifier at the factory?

I'd like to give him the benefit of of doubt, but it it doesn't sound credible.

Appreciate the help.

Bird

• 2 weeks later...

Archived