TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here's what the GT500 is up against

Whammer

I am A Ford Guy owning the new 2012 SEL loaded Focus, 2011 Limited Loaded Edge & the 2010 F-150 Platinum loaded. I'm waiting to see what Ford does with the Shelby since I sold my loaded 2010 GT 500. But to make fun of another company only shows ignorance and makes you or us Ford Guys look like fools. I for one NEVER under estimate the competition. This new Camero may very well kick our asses if Ford doesn't step up to the plate. :fool:

you are the one that looks like a fool for your stupid comment.chevy has used ringer cars for years,even in the 70s

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently attended the Cadillac V-series performance Lab @ Road Atlanta . They had three sessions on the track and classroom instruction. They went into detail about Magnetic shock control , the 3rd generation version of stability control, brakes and tires. Then we got to drive a CTS-V @ high speed on the 2.5 mile Road Atlanta track..135mph then HARD on the brakes and exit out of the corner flat out . This heavy beast can really put down the power cause of all the technology that GM has developed. The ZL1 will have the same technology with less weight and more power. One of the main problems with any stock GT500 is it can't put down the power . Let's hope Ford uses some of the technology the ZL1 has. Believe me it allowed me to drive a hell of alot faster @Road Atlanta with confidence.

I owned a 05 Ford GT and it had no traction control or other devices, that's why you see so many totaled or off in a ditch. Just a hand full when temps were below 70.

you are the one that looks like a fool for your stupid comment.chevy has used ringer cars for years,even in the 70s

We will see and very shortly you may be eating your words. I am one of the poor suckers who bought a 2012 that are now on fire sale around here.

I really don't consider the ZL1 that drove the Ring to be a ringer. Adding a roll cage for safety is not going to great effect the times that car put down.

Anyway, in about 6 months the auto mags will be pitting the ZL1 head to head with the '13 GT500 and if all Ford does to that car is bump up the HP I fear it's going to be a bloodbath.

We will see and very shortly you may be eating your words. I am one of the poor suckers who bought a 2012 that are now on fire sale around here.

naw you arent a poor sucker,you bought a piece of history!!a piece of long history that says i have been around almost 50 years with out a stop in production.you should be very proud!!

I really don't consider the ZL1 that drove the Ring to be a ringer. Adding a roll cage for safety is not going to great effect the times that car put down.

Anyway, in about 6 months the auto mags will be pitting the ZL1 head to head with the '13 GT500 and if all Ford does to that car is bump up the HP I fear it's going to be a bloodbath.

gm has used ringers for years.thats fine believe what you want.dont think for one second FORD does not know what they are doing.follow the trail.the cobra for 1993 one year only,2000 cobra R one year only,the 2003,20004 cobras for only two years,now the 351 for this body style in the GT500 for two years only,or one depends on when the 50 year mustang comes out.

The ZL1 will rape every Mustang ever made including the SVTPP 2012 GT500. Give credit where it's due. GM pushed the envelope. The new 13' is better BECAUSE OF Chevy. No ZL1 = 13/14 same as 12 with some new interior options and perks.

Really?? So I assume you are going to go out and buy one? Hope ya do only to watch it get waxed by the 13 GT500. :hysterical:

Really?? So I assume you are going to go out and buy one? Hope ya do only to watch it get waxed by the 13 GT500. :hysterical:

With an automatic and the cars stock to stock ---- kind of doubt it but only time will tell.

gm has used ringers for years.thats fine believe what you want.dont think for one second FORD does not know what they are doing.follow the trail.the cobra for 1993 one year only,2000 cobra R one year only,the 2003,20004 cobras for only two years,now the 351 for this body style in the GT500 for two years only,or one depends on when the 50 year mustang comes out.

Those 2003-2004 Cobras were some bad ass cars. That engine is just crying for some mods. I think those cars are going to be collector status in the not to distant future. Side by side the Camaro is huge next to the 2003 Cobra. That's one draw back about the Camaro SIZE!!!

With an automatic and the cars stock to stock ---- kind of doubt it but only time will tell.

The automatic rumor for the 500 is out there. I kind of doubt it though. If all we did with these cars was 0-60, I would agree with you but, Thats the last thing I do.

With all the speculating going on about the new Camaro ZL1, I got an e-mail from a friend of mine in the automotive media world, who says look for 650 hp from the 2013 Shelby GT-500. :banvictory:

Not sure what I'd do with another 100 hp, the 550 from the factory I have now is still pretty exciting. B)

The day Ford publishes the new spec and if it is 650 mine will go up for sale that day. There is nothing worse than having the last of any model year before changes. I would be happy with 650hp because this platform has trouble getting the 550 to the ground. I use the HP for running on the road not stop light to stop light because this car is not made for that---650 very nice.

Am sure that there will be other upgrades as well because it would be stupid to put more hp with the car the way it is—it won’t hook up period end of story. If the ZL1 does and it looks like it will then Ford is painted into a corner which will be a good thing! Nothing like competition to force Ford to move into the 2000’s with this car.

Those 2003-2004 Cobras were some bad ass cars. That engine is just crying for some mods. I think those cars are going to be collector status in the not to distant future. Side by side the Camaro is huge next to the 2003 Cobra. That's one draw back about the Camaro SIZE!!!

yes they were bad ass!!the CRAPMARO looks like a tank next to one of those cobras.

yes they were bad ass!!the CRAPMARO looks like a tank next to one of those cobras.

Yes but the 2011 GT500 is only 2" shorter than the Camaro so it needs a diet also. I have never been able to understand why the GT500 looks like a 4 X 4. The Camaro beats the GT500 in that department. Come on Ford lower the car and stop trying to make money on parts.

Thank You for your comment. At 55 years of age I can remember the 68 & 69 Camero's, the LS-6 Chevelle's etc. and they were pretty fast cars in their days and well respected. I have learned to be more humble and respectful and not an arrogant or obnoxious person. You're a new Shelby member, you might want to learn how to respect your fellow members.

My first car at the age of 18 was a 66 GT Mustang. I put a lot of money :spend: into that car to make it very fast in its day and I could remember losing to Rick the "Jinx" Ingram in his darn 68 Camero. I had the 525 lift Sig Erson Cam, 780 Holley, Accel Dual Point Ignition & wires, the heads were all reworked, Eldle Brock Torker intake. Heck I even put a 9 inch rear end in the car with 4.33 Scheafer Gears, Detriot Locker, the WAR third member pumpkin and Lakewood Traction bars just to get me out of the hole and the guy still beat me. I used to kick the HOLY CRAP out of the old GT350 Shelby's from a dead stop or a roll.

I remember the GOOD OLE DAYS when you raced what you brought and you always respected the other guys. WE were all friends out to have a good time racing each other. :shift: The guys who drive the Cameros' are no different, we all love cars and should have mutual respect for one another. :beerchug:

Yes but the 2011 GT500 is only 2" shorter than the Camaro so it needs a diet also. I have never been able to understand why the GT500 looks like a 4 X 4. The Camaro beats the GT500 in that department. Come on Ford lower the car and stop trying to make money on parts.

i agree the GT500 is too big.they need to go small like the fox body mustangs.

Thank You for your comment. At 55 years of age I can remember the 68 & 69 Camero's, the LS-6 Chevelle's etc. and they were pretty fast cars in their days and well respected. I have learned to be more humble and respectful and not an arrogant or obnoxious person. You're a new Shelby member, you might want to learn how to respect your fellow members.

My first car at the age of 18 was a 66 GT Mustang. I put a lot of money :spend: into that car to make it very fast in its day and I could remember losing to Rick the "Jinx" Ingram in his darn 68 Camero. I had the 525 lift Sig Erson Cam, 780 Holley, Accel Dual Point Ignition & wires, the heads were all reworked, Eldle Brock Torker intake. Heck I even put a 9 inch rear end in the car with 4.33 Scheafer Gears, Detriot Locker, the WAR third member pumpkin and Lakewood Traction bars just to get me out of the hole and the guy still beat me. I used to kick the HOLY CRAP out of the old GT350 Shelby's from a dead stop or a roll.

I remember the GOOD OLE DAYS when you raced what you brought and you always respected the other guys. WE were all friends out to have a good time racing each other. :shift: The guys who drive the Cameros' are no different, we all love cars and should have mutual respect for one another. :beerchug:

the good ol days were fine,the new mustangs kill the old ones.thats not disrespect just a fact.now the 427 side oiler cobra will still kick the crap out of the new zr1

Something tells me the Factory ZL1 will have a hard time keeping with the 2010 NeSmith 584rwhp Camaro LS9 Storm.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_1102_nesmith_storm_2010_chevrolet_camaro_ls9/viewall.html

ET. 12.001 Evan Smith Driving.

I wonder if it will cost $124,000

not only that,Evan Smith took a stock GT500 and ran a 11.9@120 on stock tires.

Archived