TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08KR CLUTCH CHATTER

08krrick

JUST BOUGHT ON 08 KR WITH 1100 MILES ON IT AND NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES THE CLUTCH CHATTERS UNDER MEDIUM LOAD WHEN ENGAGING FROM START. READ ON THIS FORUM THAT THERE IS A TSB. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS AND DOES MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY CAR RELATE TO THE TSB? I'D LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I APPROACH FORD DEALER. THANX. RICK

You just bought it. Thats the problem. It leaves very little room for mistakes. I bought my 09 gt500 and it ran fine on the test drive. Then i brought it home and was like WTF. It was me the whole time. Everyonce in a while I will chatter it very rarely, cause to my defense ill admit im not the best driver when it comes to manual. At the same time It takes a little bit to learn. I wouldnt worry too much about it. I am suprised though I hear the KR's are easier to launch cause the 3.73s so maybe someone else can chime in. You might have a problem but I would honestly give yourself a month and see if you still got the chatter.

JUST BOUGHT ON 08 KR WITH 1100 MILES ON IT AND NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES THE CLUTCH CHATTERS UNDER MEDIUM LOAD WHEN ENGAGING FROM START. READ ON THIS FORUM THAT THERE IS A TSB. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS AND DOES MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY CAR RELATE TO THE TSB? I'D LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I APPROACH FORD DEALER. THANX. RICK

Try feathering the clutch a little differently and you will get different results. Once you find the sweet spot...remember it. Give the car a little more RPM's as you let it out. The clutch does not have organic pads and is not forgiving. It has ceramic pads and is designed for high performance.

The TSB does affect your car...but many people have not had any trouble for thousands and thousands of miles.

Here is the TSB:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/

THANX FOR THE INFO. I CAN LAUNCH IT MOST OF THE TIME WITHOUT THE CHATTER BUT WAS JUST WONDERING WHY IT DOES IT SOMETIMES. NEVER HAD A CLUTCH DO THIS INTERMITTANLLY BEFORE. . I'LL JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO IT I GUESS. IT IS WAY DIFFERENT THAN MY 600 HP 97 COBRA WITH A STAGE 2 CLUTCH. IT NEVER DOES THIS.

YIKES!!! JUST SPENT 3 HOURS READING UP ON THE CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL PROBLEMS. SCARY! THESE FORUMS ARE REALLY GREAT UNTILL THEY GIVE YOU INFO THAT MAKES YOU WORRY. NICE TO KNOW THAT I MAY BE LOOKING AT A FUTURE $3K REPAIR. I'LL BABY THE CLUTCH AND HOPE I DON'T HAVE A PROB. GOOD TO KNOW THAT I HAVE TO BABY IT THO TO AVOID A PROB. I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED FORD TO PUT IN A BULLET PROOF CLUTCH TO HANDLE TH HP NOT ONE THAT WOULD CRAP OUT AFTER A FEW THOUSAND MILES. OH WELL, CAMARO TRANS WERE CRAPPING OUT LAST YEAR. GUESS NOBODY IS PERFECT.

:rolleyes: Straight from your owner's manual:

Driving your Shelby GT500

Your vehicle is equipped with a twin disc cera-metallic clutch. This

clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia clutch

assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque

capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how

the vehicle reacts to clutch engagement may be different from other

vehicles you have driven. This behavior is typical of a cera-metallic

clutch and is not indicative of any abnormal issues with your vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm skimming the surface with all thiis content. So much to learn. I just got the Shelby 2012 and the clutch is my first. The clutch is a little stiff and other times it is smooth. I don't understand why it would be easy smooth and a little stiff other times. Is all the discussion about the 08KR similar to the Shelby 2012?

• 1 month later...

During hard starts I get what feels like wheel hop. you know when you want to get a little wheel spin and get it a little sideways. Anybody else get wheel hop under hard starts?

Welcome to TS John,

Every new gen GT500 ever made has this condition....check the modifications thread for the solutions which in a nutshell are uca's, lca's, adjustable panhard, and relocation brackets..

You'll find a wealth of great info, and even better people.

Archived