TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Watts Link Install

Okay I need some help from someone who has installed the Shelby (Fays) Watts Link on a Shelby GT. The shop said that the rear sway bar will not connect with the watts link installed? Is this correct? I called and talked with Shelby PP and the individual that I spoke with said that the Watts link does away with the sway bar? I went the Fays website for the S197 and I see the watts link and the sway bar installed? Can someone with first hand knowledge please let me know.

Thanks

I'd contact Jim directly, he's very helpful. I opted for a diff setup on my '68 in the end, but was impressed by his help none the less.

Jim Fay

FAYS2 Suspension

jim@fays2.net

I called him on friday and he said it should fit no problem. The guy installing said no way. He installed the setup with the suspension loaded as instructed and tried doing the same with the sway bar be he said that it won't fit? I think I am going to bring the car home and place it on some race ramps with the suspension loaded and try it myself. If I can't get it to connect then I'll send Jim some photos. He has a picture of his setup on an S197 with a Steeda sway bar which is the same as ours and it fits fine.

I just read thru some of that same page, and another guy couldn't fit the FRPP sway bar, so you may have to go to stock or the steeda to make it work.

What page was that so I can look at it? Thanks BTW!

For what it's worth, I was told that in a leaf spring car, the adjustable roll center will somewhat act like a sway bar, but I don't see anyway that could apply to coil spring cars, I think you absolutely have to have the rear sway regardless of the panhard or fays locating device. Let us know how it gets resolved!

Mine fit with FRPP setup just fine. Clearance is tight between sway bar and Watts Link, and the sway bar will rub against the bottom Watts Link (right where the sticker is) if I unload the rear suspension. Watts link replaces panhard bar, and the sway bar is not attached to the watts link at all. Mine is a couple years old, ordered from direct from Jim. Maybe there has been a design change to the "main" bracket??? :shrug:

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Mine fit with FRPP setup just fine. Clearance is tight between sway bar and Watts Link, and the sway bar will rub against the bottom Watts Link (right where the sticker is) if I unload the rear suspension. Watts link replaces panhard bar, and the sway bar is not attached to the watts link at all. Mine is a couple years old, ordered from direct from Jim. Maybe there has been a design change to the "main" bracket??? :shrug:

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Thanks for the photos! I think that is what the installer was concerned about. I may give it a try myself with suspension loaded.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

mine fits with the FRPP sway bar too on my SGT.......

the installer is wrong........

mine fits with the FRPP sway bar too on my SGT.......

the installer is wrong........

Okay that is two votes for the installer is wrong so I need to get out in the garage and put the car on the ramps and try it myself.

Okay that is two votes for the installer is wrong so I need to get out in the garage and put the car on the ramps and try it myself.

Vote#3 for "the installer is wrong".

The FRPP sway bar fits with a Fays 2. Between 1/2" to 1" of clearance.

http://www.mkeeler.com/mustang/fays2/

Jer

Quick update on the Watts Link. The car certainly feels much tighter in the rear with the watt installed. I haven't been to the track yet but just hitting a few corners on a country road by the house it seems to track better. Looking forward to getting it on a track and seeing how it feels at speed!

Quick update on the Watts Link. The car certainly feels much tighter in the rear with the watt installed. I haven't been to the track yet but just hitting a few corners on a country road by the house it seems to track better. Looking forward to getting it on a track and seeing how it feels at speed!

Well, not only does it "keep the rear end from steering the car", there's also a chassis stiffening benefit. I'm not surprised to hear you like it. Good times.

Jer

Success!! Sway bar installed with the watts and as I was duly informed it works. Thanks to all who posted their results. So one question does it interfere or anything when you jack the car up and unload the rear suspension? Mine is still sitting on my ramps in the garage.

• 2 months later...

For those that have a watts and track their cars. Did you cut the top donut off of the bump stop? I have the FRP bump stops and I just read that some are removing the top donut to keep the car from bottoming out on the bump stop? Anyone have some insight?

Thanks

Maybe I can get a photo this weekend when I crawl under to check everything out after a track day recently. I am running my watts at one hole below the center based on some info I got from a much more gifted driver who has a similar setup on a GT500. I also cut the top donut off of the bump stop to let the car settle better in the corners. I did this post track day but drove the car yesterday around town and I could tell on certain sections of roads that I was no longer hitting the bump stops and the car felt much smoother.

Looks like everyone on this thread has installed the Fays Watts link...?

Has anyone installed the Steeda Watts link? The Steeda link is a little more expensive and I don't beleive it will fit with our FRPP sway bar. Just wondered how the two compared...?

Thanks!

I had a watts like installed by R&A motors several years ago and they took the sway bar off, I have it packed away in the garage. For those of you that have both on, is there any benefit of having both ? I would assume the watts link defeats the sway bar.

Just to help Jon Westercamp:

Roger Sorel's old Fays2 Watt's Link frame (the prototype for the Shelby Billet Watt's Link), re-powdercoated by Shelby's supplier "RAM Proline Powder Coating" here in Las Vegas in "Shelby GT Silver" at my request:

Plenty of room!

Thanks to Jim Fay for sending me new decals, etc....

Jer

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

Archived