TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will It Surpass?

kawwy600

I don't know how accurate/reliable Yahoo Autos can be but the ZL1 is claimed to have 580hp and 556lb torque. A TVS on the current 5.4 aluminum block would be enough in my opinion to keep the Shelby on top, but hopefully Ford will finally release some info on the 2013

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-camaro-zl1-goes-for--250-000.html

Those are the official numbers for the ZL1.

The problem with beating the ZL1 isn't gonna be power. Hell, the current 500 is pretty close to those numbers, and it's lighter than the Camaro will likely be.

The issue is traction. The ZL1 is going to have the launch control from the ZR1, which, by all accounts I've read is nothing short of phenominal. In a GS 'Vette, one test I saw was able to get 0-60 times only .2 seconds off the very best numbers they could put down without it. And they did that consistently.

So pretty much any schmoe will be able to launch the hell out of that car.

Those are the official numbers for the ZL1.

The problem with beating the ZL1 isn't gonna be power. Hell, the current 500 is pretty close to those numbers, and it's lighter than the Camaro will likely be.

The issue is traction. The ZL1 is going to have the launch control from the ZR1, which, by all accounts I've read is nothing short of phenominal. In a GS 'Vette, one test I saw was able to get 0-60 times only .2 seconds off the very best numbers they could put down without it. And they did that consistently.

So pretty much any schmoe will be able to launch the hell out of that car.

The ZL1 will also be available with an auto trans, the GT500 is going to need a great many tweaks to be able to put down better numbers than an auto ZL1.

The ZL1 will also be available with an auto trans, the GT500 is going to need a great many tweaks to be able to put down better numbers than an auto ZL1.

That too. I don't necessarily think the ZL1 will put down better numbers in testing, but in the real world, with average drivers, it's gonna be hard to beat.

Of course a good set of DR's will go a long way towards leveling the field, but then we aren't talking stock anymore.

How much are these gonna cost? ZL1 that is....sounds cool.

Pricing hasn't been announced, but most speculation is that they'll be slightly more than a similarly optioned GT500.

How much are these gonna cost? ZL1 that is....sounds cool.

Unfortunately you will still be sitting in a well when driving it. Serious design issue IMHO. They have/will apparently reduce some of the suspension issues with this release as well, which would be nice. Overall I think it is a neat looking car and would like to take it out of a test drive - fat chance I suspect. They will be handled like the Shelby, deposit down, then you can test drive.... At least that is what they do here.

Archived