TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LOOK WHAT I FOUND - '68 GT500KR

This reply looks like it is misplaced about another car (equally dubious, perhaps). The original post here is a black one, the other one at the estate auction is red.

I called Earl's Auctions yesterday to get more details. The car is being sold at the estate auction but will only be sold if the attorney representing the estate agrees to the auction price. I told the lady at Earl's I can't fly up there, bid on a car, spend a grand to come bid, and then be told I can't have the car because the attorney doesn't life the offer. I've never heard of such a thing and think they are not going to have many people make the trip if they can't buy the car. I had seriously thought about going to bid on the car but won't make the trip under these conditions. I also was told they are getting about 60 calls a day on the KR and the auction company will not be allowing bids by phone. Good Luck with all that but I think they are going to be disappointed.

SVT

Today I had the opportunity to look at an unrestored '68 GT 500KR. I was like a kid looking at jars of candy at the old-time drugstore. The car is not for sale YET but I'm hoping down the road I will have the opportunity to buy it. I don't want to disclose the name of the owner or location but would like to know if everyone thinks it is a real KR. It looks real to me as it has the CS CSM number, scoops and all the Shelby Badging. I'll attach some pictures so let me know what you think and if it appears to be a reall Shelby KR.

IT WAS A GREAT DAY !!

Thanks, SVT

Wow, today must be the most bizarre day of my life. Just today I attended an auction where an original one owner 68 GT500KR with 9159 mi was auctioned off for $230,000. I didn't think it possible to have another unrestored 68 GT500KR cross my path again, yet I accidentally stumbled onto this forum and post. Life is incredible. Good luck with your future quest.

Wow, today must be the most bizarre day of my life. Just today I attended an auction where an original one owner 68 GT500KR with 9159 mi was auctioned off for $230,000. I didn't think it possible to have another unrestored 68 GT500KR cross my path again, yet I accidentally stumbled onto this forum and post. Life is incredible. Good luck with your future quest.

Wow......You were at the aution the red '68 KR was sold at. Thats hard to believe it was sold for $230K. Was the bid accepted?

SVT

Wow......You were at the aution the red '68 KR was sold at. Thats hard to believe it was sold for $230K. Was the bid accepted?

SVT

Yes it was. Bidding started at 75K and very quickly jumped to 200K. It finally increased in 5K increments until it stopped around 220K if memory serves me correctly. A pause was declared, a meeting between the auctioneer and estate attorney occurred, and the auctioner returned to state that the car would be sold. He reopened bidding at the stalled 220 mark and it went to 230 before being hammered sold. It is my understanding that Mr. Leno bought the car via an agent who appeared in person. I have pictures of the event and agent but will not post them due to privacy concerns. There was a very large crowd there and I met a fellow who stated he used to ride around with the owner's son years ago. Quite a bit of paper history documenting the time/mileage on the car, including the cancelled downpayment check to the dealer and a reckless driving ticket on New Years Eve back in the day. I think the car was driven approximately 1100 miles since 1987. It was a very interesting day indeed.

Wow, a great story on the red KR. I'm only about an hour away from where it was auctioned and would have went just to check it out. Jay Leno won't be putting too many miles on it either, as I imagine he has a hard enough time dividing his attention among his stable already! :hysterical:

Archived