TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TPMS, how to tell if sensor is mounted on wheel?

Anyone know a way that you can tell if a wheel has a TPMS sensor mounted on it without physically breaking the tire bead and looking inside?

Steve

I can't think of a method, except that during the "training routine" that wheel will not honk the horn.

Maybe put it near the car and try the routine?

Jer

Take the wheel off the car and shake it and Listen for a rattle ? ?

Good Luck

Andrew

That's only effective if it's installed BADLY.

(I've had that, BTW)

Jer

Anyone know a way that you can tell if a wheel has a TPMS sensor mounted on it without physically breaking the tire bead and looking inside?

Steve

Get one of the TPMS reset tools from Ford. I was having problems and got the tool for something like $25 from Ford. Almost any tire place will also have one. If you reset the TPMS then it has to rediscover the sensor...

But... If the tire sensor light isn't coming on then it has to be there. If it is on and inflating it to the correct pressure doesn't make it go out, then the sensor is either faulty or missing. it would be impossible to put tires on a car and not have one as the light would never go out.

If the band is broken it would flop around inside the tire and make lots of noise :)

Steve

If the tire is still on the vehicle, let out air until you get down to 20 p.s.i.

then go for a cruse.

I found out the hard way, I put tires on my SGT without sensors and drove 45 miles to a family friends house. That TPMS beep is f 'n loud.

Good luck.

To me TPMS stands for Tire PMS. Cause once that dash light illuminates, its a BISSSH to get it reset.

Hi Steve!!!!!!!

There are 2 ways to check and see if the vehicle is equipped with a TPMS system.

1. Have a dealer run the VIN# and look at the build of the vehicle. It will show if it has it or not. I have run a couple of 07 GT VIN#'s and some had them and some not (I was going to try and reply on another thread, but it would not let me post :( ).

If you have the VIN#, PM or email me it and I will let you know :)

Bud's email addy

2. As suggested above-----let some air out of the tire and go for a little cruise. If it has the TPMS system, the light will come on.

Bud

Or just order a set of wheels and tires w/ the TPMS sensors and bands installed from "Cruizin' Concepts." You'll know that you have sensors because they put them on so lame that they become loose and disconnected within 50 miles of use. And then they are so badly banged up you have to replace them with your own coin out of pocket. Dana

Guys, the wheel/tire set I have were take-offs which is why I'm not sure if they have the TPMS sensors mounted in them. Unfortunately mounting them on my GTH wont do much as the GTH cars do not have the TPMS system.

You'd think that they would mark the valve stem some way like the aftermarket TPMS do.

Steve

Hi Steve!!!!!!!

There are 2 ways to check and see if the vehicle is equipped with a TPMS system.

1. Have a dealer run the VIN# and look at the build of the vehicle. It will show if it has it or not. I have run a couple of 07 GT VIN#'s and some had them and some not (I was going to try and reply on another thread, but it would not let me post :( ).

If you have the VIN#, PM or email me it and I will let you know :)

Bud's email addy

2. As suggested above-----let some air out of the tire and go for a little cruise. If it has the TPMS system, the light will come on.

Bud

I called FORD directly, gave them my vin to look up. My window sticker didn't have it listed. FORD will tell you it does have it if the vehicle is a 2007 model year or newer, no matter what the window sticker says. I started that topic in another forum. :rant2:

To see if the car has TPMS you put the key in and turn it to run and look for the dumby lite to illuminate.

To see if a tire has it, :headscratch: try weighing the tire and find out what one weighs without the sensor.

If your car does not have TPMS, then any sensors mounted in the tires would just be along for the ride. :shift:

Archived