TEAM SHELBY FORUM

COLOR COMBO FOR 2013 SHELBY GT500

braztang

:headscratch:

Cheers,

Anyone have any idea of the 2013 colors yet?

What are the color combo you mostly like for the SVT-PP?

It would be interesting to know what everybody's preferences are:

My vote is Ingot Silver with red stripes (current) but if I had a choice, it would be Kona Blue with White SVT-PP stripes or the Stereling Silver with Red stripes (as they both do not exist for the 2012's)

Please give your opinions.

Safe ride everyone,

braztang

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little partial to the Sterling Gary with the SVTPP Colorado Red and Black Stripes.

But I would like to see other options for the stripes.. One would think that since the stripes are tape/decals that you could have ANY combination.

I also really like Black with Matte Black Stripes and on Team Shelby I have seen Kona Blue with Matte Black Stripes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing a School Bus (or brighter) non-metallic Yellow or a Flat Black.

I just hope they stay as far the hell away as possible from tragic colors like the Challenger's Purple and Camaro's Kelly Green - which say, "I know you don't WANT to look at me, but LOOK AT ME ANYWAY!"

:headscratch:

Cheers,

Anyone have any idea of the 2013 colors yet?

What are the color combo you mostly like for the SVT-PP?

It would be interesting to know what everybody's preferences are:

My vote is Ingot Silver with red stripes (current) but if I had a choice, it would be Kona Blue with White SVT-PP stripes or the Stereling Silver with Red stripes (as they both do not exist for the 2012's)

Please give your opinions.

Safe ride everyone,

braztang

umm, one reason why the Camaro is killing the Mustang in sales is COLORS! FORD will just offer the same boring Red, White, Black, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! How bout a GT500 in the Legend Lime? I've been trying for years for FORD to offer colors similar to Royal Maroon, Gulfstream Aqua, Highland Green but that is beating a dead horse

umm, one reason why the Camaro is killing the Mustang in sales is COLORS! FORD will just offer the same boring Red, White, Black, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! How bout a GT500 in the Legend Lime? I've been trying for years for FORD to offer colors similar to Royal Maroon, Gulfstream Aqua, Highland Green but that is beating a dead horse

Really because most Camaros I see running around are the standard colors?

Unless they happen to be working for Mary Kay or Irish, I doubt anybody would choose Camaro over Mustang by virtue of color. Though whatever the reason may be, it certainly has nothing to do with how it drives or its practicality.

Camaro is selling well - largely by virtue of pent-up demand after Camaro's hiatus and those who prefer styling over all else - and I DO mean ALL else. While Ford would certainly enjoy some additional sales, especially since there happens to be organic (rather than incentive-driven) demand, the primary reasons Camaro has been outselling Mustang are almost entirely by design.

Ford has chosen to stay on the right side of the demand curve with virtually all of its products. The result has been FAR less reliance upon incentives and, by making only cars for which it knows it has ready buyers on its own terms, far GREATER profits. Getting control over its dealer footprint and maintaining volume discipline has been as responsible for Ford's resurgence as improved product.

Further factors affected Mustang this year. The vast majority of increased Camaro sales were in the V6 category which, in addition to keeping a reign on, Ford diverted significant numbers of V6 engines from Flat Rock to Claycomo to bolster additional demand for more fuel-efficient F-150's. If you have to choose, it makes a LOT more sense to sell a $35K pickup than a $27K Mustang. The market shifted very quickly earlier this year, something for which Ford will be far better prepared in 2012.

The overwhelming majority of the rest is business Ford deliberately chose to leave on the table - and wisely so. Of course, pendulums do swing, and you can't find where the wall is without bumping into it, but Ford is choosing to respond in EXACTLY the right way, by giving a damn ONLY about the additional business it can have most profitably - not volume at any and all costs, which continues to be a driving GM principle.

Madlock,

You're spot on!!!

Thanks.

It's actually a HUGE bone of contention between Ford and its dealers - to whom NO sale is a "bad" sale, because makers ultimately pay customers to buy whatever happens to be left-over on the lot. In addition to the huge erosion upon profits and residual values, incentives are money that must come back OFF the books. Dealers livelihoods are based entirely upon volume - literally at all costs, because it's not at THEIR cost. Just pack the lots and let the makers worry about it.

It's ALSO why so many of the GM and Chrysler dealers that weren't given franchises in the bailed-out, going-forward makers couldn't understand why, if their stores were making THEM money, how they COULDN'T have been essential. Not a one thought in terms that the ONLY thing that matters is the money they make for the brands they represent. Anything they may make for themselves is a means to an end.

That's why Detroit lost its ass in a 17M unit marketspace, but is becoming HUGELY profitable at 12. If you look at a 15% margin on a $30K vehicle, that's $4,500 in gross profit. If you can get out from under $1K of incentive per vehicle, you can make every bit as much with 3/4 of the overhead. When you get down to razor-thin profits on products like Focus, Fiesta and V6 Mustang, you can literally double profits selling half as many.

GM's in for a rude awakening in Q3/4. It over-built 50,000 large pickups - which were booked as profit during its gangbusters $2.5B Q2. It's now announced it's idling shifts through the end of the year and FURTHER scaling-back production, because it now has 120-day supply - twice as many as standard, and it's having to give as much as $4,500 in cash to sell each one (which Ford must then compete with).

The net result is going to be a huge number of trucks booked as profit that it pulled forward from Q3/4 and won't have to report during THOSE quarters. Furthermore, multiply 50K by say $3K in rebates, and there's ANOTHER $150M - on just pickup trucks alone. This is the cycle Detroit got itself in previously. By contrast, any boom quarters at Ford won't have landmines later on - and when Ford has to clear its year-end inventory, it can offer MUCH smaller incentives on MUCH fewer vehicles.

What's even MORE amazing than the tens of billions Detroit lost so quickly (almost a generation of profits in a few years), was the inbred and insular culture that existed by which everybody who wasn't a so-called "car person" just didn't "get it". For the first time in almost 40 years, makers are starting to apply the same rationales to making cars as any other product-oriented business. It's one of the reasons why bringing in Alan Mulally from OUTSIDE the car industry - in addition to everything he achieved at Boeing, was SO critical to everything going on at Ford today.

Archived