TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.4L Safe Engine HP w/stock lower end

darksnake

What is the 5.4L safe max. engine hp with stock piston rods, etc...600, 650, 700?

Does the 2008-2009 725 hp Super Snake use stock 5.4L or have upgraded piston rods, etc.?

All Super Snakes use the stock engine with an upgraded supercharger. Evolution Performance went over 1000+ HP on the stock long block with race fuel and turbos. Using pump 93 octane gas, I believe the max safe wheel HP is around 700-750.

Thanks for the info. I'm road course driving my 2008 and work it pretty good to max hp shift point between corners & straight aways. I should be safe with 596 rwhp, 610 rwtq, @ 700 engine hp.

The super cobra jet, which makes over 800rwhp, is the only one that has a built motor.

It seems that around 22psi combined with 750-800rwhp is the breaking point. Those that run around with 17-18psi seem to last a long time. I believe as much as 20psi may be safe too. My car makes 816rwhp on the stock bottom end with a 2.3l tvs, but it does it with only 18psi since it has cams, I don't know how long it will last.

+1 ^^^ 700 horses is tame enough for todays roads/conditions. Any more than that stuff wears out.

When TS toured Romeo engine plant in 08` that very question was put to one of the engineers & he claimed the rods would stand 750 to 800 h.p

That's what I was told by my SVT Sales Manager too...800 MAX. You can still run more but at the cost of longevity.

Phill

I have many GT500's that I have built with 750-785 RWHP with safe tunes that have held up just fine. It is all in the tune. My current GT500 is 763 RWHP on 91 oct pump CA gas with no issues and 13K miles. Drag Racing, Road Racing, and street driving, no issues. I will no do a street car past that amount as you are just playing on borrowed time. You also need a beefed up clutch (my favorite the Spec Twin SS) and wide wheels and tires to hook up. With stock tires and width, you will spin all the way to 5th gear....

Alex

Hey Vapor what else do you do to get these cars to hook? Mines a fairly stock motor with upper and lower control arms with nitto drag radials, but I can't hook for the life of me. Either I set it up where it spins or a get to much bite and it just hops. Any other suspension changes or find a wheel that will fit so I can use a tall tire or what?

Hey Vapor what else do you do to get these cars to hook? Mines a fairly stock motor with upper and lower control arms with nitto drag radials, but I can't hook for the life of me. Either I set it up where it spins or a get to much bite and it just hops. Any other suspension changes or find a wheel that will fit so I can use a tall tire or what?

Try his vendor forum to check out his builds and ask questions. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/forum/267-mackenzie-mustang/

Like Slabo siad, check out some of my builds, I use the same set-up on most builds with great results, also as wide of a wheel as possible, up to 11/3/4 wide if your trim the bumpstop brackets...

Alex

A quick, easy and cost-effective way to get rid of the hop and get a decent launch is to replace the control arms or bushings, install control arm relocation brackets and use a good slick or drag radial. 17" wheels are the smallest you can use with the control arm relocation brackets, 15" without (the relocation brackets can't be used with the sway bar relocation kit for the 15" wheels).

Evo got over 1000+HP on stock rods with race fuel.

I have many GT500's that I have built with 750-785 RWHP with safe tunes that have held up just fine. It is all in the tune. My current GT500 is 763 RWHP on 91 oct pump CA gas with no issues and 13K miles. Drag Racing, Road Racing, and street driving, no issues. I will no do a street car past that amount as you are just playing on borrowed time. You also need a beefed up clutch (my favorite the Spec Twin SS) and wide wheels and tires to hook up. With stock tires and width, you will spin all the way to 5th gear....

Alex

how mutch boost? 10% lower or stock pully?

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

What about oem fuel pump? How much can that handle before you have to upgrade?

I have stock fuel pump with a BAP made by JMS.I put 52 lbs injectors and was able to produce 808 engine hp with 704 rwhp on stock TB and engine with 2.3 TVS 2.6 in pulley.

A quick, easy and cost-effective way to get rid of the hop and get a decent launch is to replace the control arms or bushings, install control arm relocation brackets and use a good slick or drag radial. 17" wheels are the smallest you can use with the control arm relocation brackets, 15" without (the relocation brackets can't be used with the sway bar relocation kit for the 15" wheels).

Evo got over 1000+HP on stock rods with race fuel.

Wow I don`t know if I would want to push 1,000 H.P on stock rods , I believe the Ford engineer at theengine plant, said nothing over 800 h.p on stock rods.

You guys are brave. You all need to make a distinction between what the engine can stand right now versus in the long run. Just because you can get 800 rear wheel horsepower on some dyno today does not mean your engine can handle that kind of output permanently. If you do blow a motor, are any of you going to come back on here and admit you were wrong? I seriously doubt it. Some folks more knowledgeable than myself have already done this homework...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/hrdp-1104-what-breaks-in-2005-2011-ford-mustang/

Good point 2007tungstenGT500.

My 11 GT500 has 16k miles and counting @808 HP. I will not be adding more HP until I change out the motor for a forged one. I think the possibility is there for it to pop but that is the case in any scenario if it's not tuned correctly.

• 5 years later...
On 9/29/2011 at 9:30 PM, Redline58 said:

Mustang Dynoed 705 rwhp on 100 octane,stock bottom end on motor.No problems here.

Mines make 900 to the crank and 765 rear wheel horse power. I’m pushing about 20 to 22 boost and no problems here yet, drove it daily for about 2 years. 

Archived