TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Am I Nuts?

Andrew DeSpirito

Okay, here goes... [deep breath]

I am seriously considering selling my 2007 GT500 and buying a new 2012 V6 Premium Coupe with the V6 Performance Package. Here's my rationale:

PROS:

- Newer car

- Lighter car

- Cheaper insurance

- Can be used as commuter and track toy

- SYNC and Nav

- Gas mileage

- Still a 6-speed stick

CONS:

- Not my GT500

- Not my GT500

- Not Alloy with Tungsten stripes

- Not signed by Carroll Shelby or Henry Ford III

- Not as pretty

- Not as fast

- Limited to 114mph (will be a problem at VIR)

- Potential MT82 manual trans problem (same trans as GTs that are having 3-4 shift issues)

I can probably sell the GT500 for what the new V6 costs, and I can get 0% for 36 months from Ford, so I can leave the cash in the bank for 3 years (earning a wonderful 0.000000000000001% interest rate!!!).

The car's repaired, and looks great, but it'll never be the same to me, and I'll always be afraid of the track, especially with this car.

This also allows me to keep the 2010 Focus and let my wife use it as her commuter car (she misses stick, and her 100-mile-per-day commute is putting miles on her F-150 very quickly). Our monthly gas bill will go down, too.

So...am I crazy?

I am seriously considering selling my 2007 GT500 and buying a new 2012 V6 Premium Coupe with the V6 Performance Package. Here's my rationale:

PROS:

- Newer car

- Lighter car

- Cheaper insurance

- SYNC and Nav

- Gas mileage

- Still a 6-speed stick

CONS:

- Not my GT500

- Not my GT500

- Not as pretty

- Not as fast

- Potential MT82 manual trans problem (same trans as GTs that are having 3-4 shift issues)

I can probably sell the GT500 for what the new V6 costs, and I can get 0% for 36 months from Ford, so I can leave the cash in the bank for 3 years (earning a wonderful 0.000000000000001% interest rate!!!).

The car's repaired, and looks great, but it'll never be the same to me, and I'll always be afraid of the track, especially with this car.

This also allows me to keep the 2010 Focus and let my wife use it as her commuter car (she misses stick, and her 100-mile-per-day commute is putting miles on her F-150 very quickly). Our monthly gas bill will go down, too.

So...am I crazy?

I think you have to do whats right for you. The new 6 is a great car. You should get more than you need out of the Shelby. You may consider a slightly used 5.0

After having the power that a GT500 puts out and then getting into a V6'r, you will never be *as* happy as you were with the GT500. The *grin* :D on your face will never re-appear ! :huh:

I totally under stand "the car will never be the same to me" issue and the trust issue on the track. Possibly think about selling the car and finding another 2007 - 2009 GT500 with super low miles on it. Deals are out there !

Better Gas milage is nice, but fun is fun ! :shift:

You 2 DINKS need to think it over. :hysterical:

Don't know what happened to your 500. But have you considered a 6 GTS?

That would be a special car IMO.

As a firm believer in all fun cars (even 4 banger MG's) I'd bet a GTS might address your concerns while providing an interesting car.

Maybe sell the 500 get 0 percent and a new 6 and use the cash to send it to Vegas.

Roger and the guys I'd bet would build you a great car with a CSM number...my experience with SA was truly awesome.

I will never forget that experience, Bud and Roger and everyone I met there...

My two cents...

Sounds like your situation is about money, if that is the case it may make sense for you. Personally no chance I would ever sell my Shelby for a V6 or new GT, the Boss 302 is the only one that would I would consider.

DINK = Double Income No Kids

Yeah, it's not really about the money...it's about what I have the car for, and consolidating if possible.

In an ideal world, I'd have the Focus to commute in, the Shelby to cruise in on the weekends, and either a mid-'90s SVT Cobra or a 2012 Boss 302 for the track. But after my $18K whoopsie in July, I'm a bit more reserved about track usage. It's too much fun to stop, but I can't go through the last 2 months again if I hurt the Shelby on the track again (God forbid). If I had a "lesser" car, I wouldn't care as much if I put it into the wall.

I'm already signed up for my next VIR event with the Shelby in October. If I make it through that without irrational fear or, again God forbid, another undesirable wall-car interface, I'm sure I'll change my mind.

Oh, and the real reason is that my car's still not 100%, so I'm looking at yet another round trip to Danville to make the car right...here's the current list of issues:

1. Pinched stripe, passenger side, around the vent. They re-used the vents from my original hood (which the Ford manual specifically says NOT to do, and they cost $50 each...WTF?). and it looks like they're not as snug, so when they moved, they pinched the stripe. UNSAT. I want the stripe replaced and I want new hood vents.

2. Horn beeps twice when you hit the lock button on the remote a second time. That used to mean the hood/trunk/doors were still open. They're not. It's a gremlin somewhere.

3. The aux jack and power plug in the center console don't work anymore. They did before the incident. Another gremlin that they need to fix.

4. I got two new front wheels out of the insurance company (yay!), and they did a good alignment (another yay!), but it appears they didn't balance the wheels properly - steering wheel shimmies like crazy above 50mph (no yay). FIX IT!

So...maybe it's just my frustration talking. And the engineer in me says the V6 is a lighter, more limber car for track use. But Grabber nailed it -- I won't get that grin every time I stomp on the gas. And I still maintain the 2007-2009 GT500 is the most gorgeous Mustang of any type ever produced.

Haha, I think I just talked myself out of it! :hysterical: :happy feet:

Yeah, it's not really about the money...it's about what I have the car for, and consolidating if possible.

In an ideal world, I'd have the Focus to commute in, the Shelby to cruise in on the weekends, and either a mid-'90s SVT Cobra or a 2012 Boss 302 for the track. But after my $18K whoopsie in July, I'm a bit more reserved about track usage. It's too much fun to stop, but I can't go through the last 2 months again if I hurt the Shelby on the track again (God forbid). If I had a "lesser" car, I wouldn't care as much if I put it into the wall.

I'm already signed up for my next VIR event with the Shelby in October. If I make it through that without irrational fear or, again God forbid, another undesirable wall-car interface, I'm sure I'll change my mind.

Oh, and the real reason is that my car's still not 100%, so I'm looking at yet another round trip to Danville to make the car right...here's the current list of issues:

1. Pinched stripe, passenger side, around the vent. They re-used the vents from my original hood (which the Ford manual specifically says NOT to do, and they cost $50 each...WTF?). and it looks like they're not as snug, so when they moved, they pinched the stripe. UNSAT. I want the stripe replaced and I want new hood vents.

2. Horn beeps twice when you hit the lock button on the remote a second time. That used to mean the hood/trunk/doors were still open. They're not. It's a gremlin somewhere.

3. The aux jack and power plug in the center console don't work anymore. They did before the incident. Another gremlin that they need to fix.

4. I got two new front wheels out of the insurance company (yay!), and they did a good alignment (another yay!), but it appears they didn't balance the wheels properly - steering wheel shimmies like crazy above 50mph (no yay). FIX IT!

So...maybe it's just my frustration talking. And the engineer in me says the V6 is a lighter, more limber car for track use. But Grabber nailed it -- I won't get that grin every time I stomp on the gas. And I still maintain the 2007-2009 GT500 is the most gorgeous Mustang of any type ever produced.

Haha, I think I just talked myself out of it! :hysterical: :happy feet:

Go store or put the GT500 away somewhere for at least 2 weeks. Where you can't get at it.

Then, go rent a V6 for a week or so and exercise the heck out of it.

For a decision like this, it's worth a little investment just to confirm that you are really going to miss not having the GT500 around.

I would be willing to bet the first week you will really miss it(even though you'll still own it).

Do what's right for you, but I wouldn't do it. I'd fix the GT500....

Go store or put the GT500 away somewhere for at least 2 weeks. Where you can't get at it.

Then, go rent a V6 for a week or so and exercise the heck out of it.

For a decision like this, it's worth a little investment just to confirm that you are really going to miss not having the GT500 around.

I would be willing to bet the first week you will really miss it(even though you'll still own it).

Do what's right for you, but I wouldn't do it. I'd fix the GT500....

EXCELLENT idea!!! That's what I would do for sure...

Ultimately, it's your decision, but I think this suggestion would make it much easier to live with, either way...

Anton

Like others have said, you have to do what's right for you but since you asked for opinions... I've driven a new V6 (rental) it's a nice car but I wouldn't take two of them for my GT500.

It may have 300 hp but it does NOT have the torque that you are used to (and I'm used to) so nope not for me thanks.

PROS:

- Newer car

- Lighter car

- Cheaper insurance

- SYNC and Nav

- Gas mileage

- Still a 6-speed stick

CONS:

- Not my GT500

- Not my GT500

- Not as pretty

- Not as fast

So...am I crazy?

Mine isn't signed by Carroll Shelby or Henry Ford III, does it make it any more or less of a car?

Can a blower be put on the V6 without any other mods to the engine without blowing it up?

Ga$...we all know that about the car, thats not why we own one.

I hate the thought of my first door ding. Hate them on my 1999.

Only you can decide what is best, don't look back. You can always buy another Shelby they aren't hard to find.

Good luck

I have a 09 GT 500 Vert and it drives like an aircraft carrier compared to my former 03 Terminator Vert. I drove back to back an 11 GT 5.0 6 speed with the Brembo's and then the same car with the FRPP Tune, Exhaust, and 3.73 gears and felt a big difference. The 5.0 is very light on it's feet and has the new interior and Sync etc. While the 6 is pretty quick, going from a Shelby doesn't add up to me, I do like the new 5.0 and of course the new and improved Gt 500.... My take..

Archived