TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Voltage regulator needed

89shelbydakota

Okay, so it appears I need a voltage regulator. Since it's located in the ECM; do I need a new ECM or can I replace just the regulator? If I do indeed require a new ECM can I get one from the local NAPA?

Your Shelby ecm was modified to control the electric fans (among other things). The stock 89 ecm's for the V6 or V8 do not have that function built in. So, if you get a replacement at any auto parts store, it is likely they will just give you one to replace a stock ecm from a 318 V8 Ram, and your electric fans will not operate (and there may be other Shelby specific items lost also). You can wire in a thermal switch to run the fans, based on radiator coolant temperature. Now, that doesn't mean all is lost though.

If you open your ecm, you will see 2 boards inside it. The one on top (the first one accessible) is the power board. It has the injector and coil drivers, along with the voltage regulator. If you go to a salvage yard and get a stock ecm for a 1989 Ram 318, you can switch the power boards between the two. I am not certain though if the modification to control the electric fans included changes to the power board or not. So you may still need to wire in a thermal switch. But the upside is that the rest of the ecm that is peculiar to your Shelby will still be functional.

The word of advice we always give, is do not ever give up your Shelby ecm, as they are not replaceable, and once it is out of your hands you will likely never see another. If yours should fail completely then an ecm from an 89 Ram 318 will have to make do.

Archived