TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is fair price for GT-H S/C

HARALD KELLEY

Anyone know what a fair price for a GT-H S/C that was done at SAI may be selling for with some memorbilia?

32,000K miles

SAI installed Paxton Shelby branded # 0066 intercooled with certification signed by CS & engine plate plus Dyno

All paper work, Hertz, Shelby

Have new set of original over the top stripes still in box pending install and new hood grill and washers nozzles from SAI

Complete new in box spare Serius radio

Show Board made by Blkgt500

Take off hood # 120 of 300, could be separate sale if not wanted as package deal.

Considering a 2008 VB GT500 KR. This is contingent of sale of GT-H which is not yet being posted becouse I have no idea on fair price . I am not willing to give away however, market will most likely have a huge factor and I have not seen any SAI done GT-H being sold.

Thoughts?

Anyone know what a fair price for a GT-H S/C that was done at SAI may be selling for with some memorbilia?

32,000K miles

SAI installed Paxton Shelby branded # 0066 intercooled with certification signed by CS & engine plate plus Dyno

Have new set of original over the top stripes still in box pending install and new hood grill and washers nozzles from SAI

Take off hood # 120 of 300, could be separate sale if not wanted as package deal.

Considering a 2008 VB GT500 KR. This is contingent of sale of GT-H which is not yet being posted becouse I have no idea on fair price . I am not willing to give away however, market will most likely have a huge factor and I have not seen any SAI done GT-H being sold.

Thoughts?

wow just a little shocked. suprised your parting with her. would love to have but have to many as it is.

32,000K miles

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good "market test" deal. I would put it on Ebay and very carefully list the work done by SAI and the fact that nearly all GT-Hs are normally aspirated, and that the Paxton is a throwback to the Shelby options of the 1960's. If I were listing the car I would place a Reserve of around $40,000 OR $32,000 PLUS the price you paid for the Paxton install which ever is highest. The Ebay listing is fairly cheap and will get you some exposure and some almost guaranteed "off-line" offers. In my opinion, much better than AutoTrader or any print publication. I would avoid Craigs List, too many tire kickers. Just my thoughts, and good luck, it's a shame you're selling, but then again we have to do what we have to do. regards, Larry

Judging from the past several GT-H listing on eBay (almost all no sale, unfortunately), I would say $40,000 is a good LIST price, but you'll probably have to settle for something closer to $35,000 to $36,000. The other thing I am thinking about is the fact that there are occasional CL or dealer listings for GT-Hs that are in the low $30s, meaning someone could pick one up and add their own supercharger for less than $40,000.

I'm not saying your car isn't worth it, but you just might not get it. Overall, though - name any other car you could have bought when you bought it and only lost 10% in depreciation? Most cars lose exponentially more than that and aren't nearly as fun to own!

I think the S/C install is a bit more than 6k and a nice enthusiast owned car with extras is worth more than a regular driver...to an astute buyer with coin. Lowballers are just that and they do not ever buy cars like this...they buy the best price and get a commensurate car.

I think the S/C install is a bit more than 6k and a nice enthusiast owned car with extras is worth more than a regular driver...to an astute buyer with coin. Lowballers are just that and they do not ever buy cars like this...they buy the best price and get a commensurate car.

You're right. My comments, however, were based on the idea that the seller wants to sell it soon rather than waiting for the perfect buyer. For me, I'd gladly hold out for that perfect buyer and his $50,000 check, but if I need the money now or want to get into another car before that car disappears, I'd have to adjust my thinking.

True...But if it were my GTH, I'd keep it. I just advised a friend on his sale of a nice vintage Mustang to do the same. The S/C install prices have gone up and then you have to spend the time getting the car to Vegas...

IMHO now is the time to buy, not sell special interest cars...money is cheap, maybe keep it and get a loan on a KR? I just scored a great concours Mach 1 as a gift for my wife at a great price as this year. Important thing is have fun thats what cars are for...

So in conclusion your thinking 36k? Thats 10 percent less than 40...so if it was mine (edit: and needed to sell for garage room or otherwise) and I liked the guy making the offer (very important to car freaks like me :hysterical: ) I'd take the 36 if I was selling this particuliar GTH and had a KR blowing in my ear...Cheers!

Harald, I would never consider a KR over my GT-H, just sayin... There was a KR right by my GT-H at a huge show this weekend and there were people all over the GT-H and the KR did not get much attention. I love both cars, I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I know which one I would choose. You'd have to really make sure what you want! Now the 68 KR right across from my car at the show, well that is a different story!

Mike, you need to go supercharger shopping, you're not going to get very close for $4K unless you find used. And if you want Shelby to install it...well...mine just came home from there a couple weeks ago. He also has the Shelby branded Paxton which is not available any longer. Those little things may not add up that much, but you certainly cannot come close to duplicating this car for anywhere near $40K. Even if you pay only $25K for a stock one, you couldn't duplicate this car for $40K with the same stuff. You could come close, but could certainly not duplicate it as the parts are no longer availabe. Agree, you would have to find the right buyer to pay over that.

Harald, think about what you've already done with this car. Are you thinking about for future value, or just that you think the KR would be more fun now? If you have the itch to really get the KR, then you'll probably take it in the shorts a bit with what you have in the GT-H unless you find the right buyer. Good luck with what ever you decide! I wouldn't do it.

Judging from the past several GT-H listing on eBay (almost all no sale, unfortunately), I would say $40,000 is a good LIST price, but you'll probably have to settle for something closer to $35,000 to $36,000. The other thing I am thinking about is the fact that there are occasional CL or dealer listings for GT-Hs that are in the low $30s, meaning someone could pick one up and add their own supercharger for less than $40,000.

I'm not saying your car isn't worth it, but you just might not get it. Overall, though - name any other car you could have bought when you bought it and only lost 10% in depreciation? Most cars lose exponentially more than that and aren't nearly as fun to own!

Sorry but you cannot duplicate this car for less than $40,000. Many of the Ebay GT-Hs are in fact sold off line and the average sale price for a 30,000 mile 2006 GT-H is around $30,000 plus. By the time you get the car,pay to ship it to Shelby and back, you will be at $40,000. In my opinion, any super charger installed by anyone other than Shelby is a net deduct from the value. Most collectors will accept Shelby mods and original parts, but you begin to limit your serious bidders / buyers when you go to the non-Shelby aftermarket parts. My opinion of course, each to his own, but I personally would not touch a car with all sorts of owner added parts from the hodge podge of vendors out there. The Shelby name is magic Shelby + Shelby parts = Value. regards, Larry

Mike, you need to go supercharger shopping, you're not going to get very close for $4K unless you find used. And if you want Shelby to install it...well...mine just came home from there a couple weeks ago. He also has the Shelby branded Paxton which is not available any longer. Those little things may not add up that much, but you certainly cannot come close to duplicating this car for anywhere near $40K. Even if you pay only $25K for a stock one, you couldn't duplicate this car for $40K with the same stuff. You could come close, but could certainly not duplicate it as the parts are no longer availabe. Agree, you would have to find the right buyer to pay over that.

Uh, where did I say that someone could replicate the car for $40,000? The fact is, since you mention it, someone probably could. There are GT-Hs listed in the low $30s, which means you probably can get them for a less. $10,000 - $12,000 is triple the budget you suggested. Certainly that buys more than a used part.

We also have to remember that, as much as YOU, HARALD, and I get all excited about a supercharged GT-H/SC, we are somewhat unique buyers. Heck, we are talking about a group of less than 500, then divided again for those that have selected to go the supercharger route. How many more folks are there looking to buy that same care? Just like every other mod, the more common buyer probably isn't going to give dollar-for-dollar on the mod unless you convince them that this is a "needed" mod. I am not saying it is fair, I am saying that seems to be the way it is. List for $40,000, aim to get $40,000, but in a pinch, sell for a little bit less.

I actually have a GT-H and I have a vested interest in knowing what they are worth in case I ever sell or trade (in fact, I am considering a trade as we speak, so I can tell you what at least one prospective buyer thinks the car is worth). I would hope we all get well more than we ever pay for them if and when we sell, but the reality is that the market isn't there yet. Don't interpret my comments as somehow pissing on someone else's parade. He asked for honest opinions and that's all I'm giving.

This is a special car and I think that if I didn't own one already that I would gladly pay 40K but in saying that it isn't just if you could do it for 40K but do you have the time and energy to invest.

Just my .02 but for the right person 40K is a fair price and if you can wait to get it you should.

Uh, where did I say that someone could replicate the car for $40,000? The fact is, since you mention it, someone probably could. There are GT-Hs listed in the low $30s, which means you probably can get them for a less. $10,000 - $12,000 is triple the budget you suggested. Certainly that buys more than a used part.

We also have to remember that, as much as YOU, HARALD, and I get all excited about a supercharged GT-H/SC, we are somewhat unique buyers. Heck, we are talking about a group of less than 500, then divided again for those that have selected to go the supercharger route. How many more folks are there looking to buy that same care? Just like every other mod, the more common buyer probably isn't going to give dollar-for-dollar on the mod unless you convince them that this is a "needed" mod. I am not saying it is fair, I am saying that seems to be the way it is. List for $40,000, aim to get $40,000, but in a pinch, sell for a little bit less.

I actually have a GT-H and I have a vested interest in knowing what they are worth in case I ever sell or trade (in fact, I am considering a trade as we speak, so I can tell you what at least one prospective buyer thinks the car is worth). I would hope we all get well more than we ever pay for them if and when we sell, but the reality is that the market isn't there yet. Don't interpret my comments as somehow pissing on someone else's parade. He asked for honest opinions and that's all I'm giving.

Benzito, market value is what a buyer and seller can agree upon. The 2006 GT-H has in fact held it's selling price for several years, unlike many other Shelby products. My point is that many of the buyers today look for "value" and "uniqueness" when purchasing cars for personal use or for a collection investment. My experience has been that the GT-H, while certainly not the most powerful of Shelby products, still commands a wide audience of enthusiasts, far more than just those of us who own "one of the 500". Everyone's opinion is important and I'm sure anyone selling their GT-H welcomes all points of view. And, we will have to agree to disagree, I think ANY Shelby performed mod has more value than most, if not all, aftermarket vendors. There are a lot of very interesting performance Mustangs being sold, I'm thinking Rousch, Saleen, Steeda etc, but the fact is the Shelby name sells, Shelby parts sell, so why not protect your investment and buy from the man. Thanks for your point of view and good luck with your trade, regards, Larry Team Shelby / Shelby American Registrar, Hertz GT-H

Benzito, market value is what a buyer and seller can agree upon. The 2006 GT-H has in fact held it's selling price for several years, unlike many other Shelby products. My point is that many of the buyers today look for "value" and "uniqueness" when purchasing cars for personal use or for a collection investment. My experience has been that the GT-H, while certainly not the most powerful of Shelby products, still commands a wide audience of enthusiasts, far more than just those of us who own "one of the 500". Everyone's opinion is important and I'm sure anyone selling their GT-H welcomes all points of view. And, we will have to agree to disagree, I think ANY Shelby performed mod has more value than most, if not all, aftermarket vendors. There are a lot of very interesting performance Mustangs being sold, I'm thinking Rousch, Saleen, Steeda etc, but the fact is the Shelby name sells, Shelby parts sell, so why not protect your investment and buy from the man. Thanks for your point of view and good luck with your trade, regards, Larry Team Shelby / Shelby American Registrar, Hertz GT-H

I'm personally disappointed when someone has to sell one of these cars (me included). You are right that it is unique as one of the lowest production Shelbys ever and it will command a premium. That is most likely why we all bought one!

We're saying the same thing - having the history and the "right" mods done by the "right" folks will add to that premium - and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But let's also not ignore the reality. Just like everything else these days, it is a buyer's market compared to five years ago. That means the cars that truly are worth well above $40,000 might not get as many lookers. That was really my only point - timing matters if you aren't going to wait for the next unique buyer.

That said, maybe someone trading / selling can parlay that into a great deal on another car and see the upside in the future.

Hello everyone

I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. I know there are many schools of thought and I value them all. The reality is the market sucks and I really did not buy the car as an investment because I am not sure that the second generation cars will or will not be collectible.

That being said, I do have my eye on a VB 2008 GT 500 KR. That would be the only other car I would buy. But the thought of owning one has not bitten me to the point that I have to have one. I sure think it would be fun and I miss the hand shaker. :shift:

As I refelct on why I bought the car (looking for a car for 50th birthday and locating car CSM # 0050 and connected to the 1966 gt350H I really love (wife reminded me), I am still on the fence as to selling versus just keeping it. Jeff does bring up a good point. Regardless of what the car is worth the Shelby branded Paxton, CSM # 0066 at that (that would not happen again) is no longer available. Not sure what happened with Paxton & Shelby - maybe just old school technology. I did do all mods with Shelby parts and SAI to keep the pedigree. Plus I have been able to locate several renters with info which is kind of cool documentation.

To that end, the proposed value figures provided are very helpful and not to far off from what I was thinking. Time will tell on what I will actually do. If I sell I will offer here first but that may be a very limited market group and exposure. Thanks again for the comments.

Hello everyone

I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. I know there are many schools of thought and I value them all. The reality is the market sucks and I really did not buy the car as an investment because I am not sure that the second generation cars will or will not be collectible.

That being said, I do have my eye on a VB 2008 GT 500 KR. That would be the only other car I would buy. But the thought of owning one has not bitten me to the point that I have to have one. I sure think it would be fun and I miss the hand shaker. :shift:

As I refelct on why I bought the car (looking for a car for 50th birthday and locating car CSM # 0050 and connected to the 1966 gt350H I really love (wife reminded me), I am still on the fence as to selling versus just keeping it. Jeff does bring up a good point. Regardless of what the car is worth the Shelby branded Paxton, CSM # 0066 at that (that would not happen again) is no longer available. Not sure what happened with Paxton & Shelby - maybe just old school technology. I did do all mods with Shelby parts and SAI to keep the pedigree. Plus I have been able to locate several renters with info which is kind of cool documentation.

To that end, the proposed value figures provided are very helpful and not to far off from what I was thinking. Time will tell on what I will actually do. If I sell I will offer here first but that may be a very limited market group and exposure. Thanks again for the comments.

Harald,

Would it be crazy to suggest that you go full bore and convert the GT-H/SC to a stick? Best of both worlds, perhaps at a little less of a cost, and certainly makes a rare car that much more impressive! Your power ratings can't be that far off a GT500 and you have a nicer color scheme.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Harald,

Would it be crazy to suggest that you go full bore and convert the GT-H/SC to a stick? Best of both worlds, perhaps at a little less of a cost, and certainly makes a rare car that much more impressive! Your power ratings can't be that far off a GT500 and you have a nicer color scheme.

6 speed would be cool! Race shop could do it. 5 would work too, there is. TS member who has a 6 installed in a SGT. You could do all factory parts as I am sure you could still get them brand new from ford. Or used from a yard. Great Idea!

Harald,

That would be too much customization. There are factory 5-speeds. Keep the car original (except for the Paxton) or you destroy its value.

That would be too much customization. There are factory 5-speeds. Keep the car original (except for the Paxton) or you destroy its value.

While the manual swap sounds great, I would not do it. That being said, I did consider it some time back.

I would think a guy could save the parts and swap back 20 years from now.

As an aside my Pops used to convert autos to sticks for guys for dough back in the day. My 56 was an auto originally and had a stick when I found it.

Nothing better than a lever IMO.

Harold, If your serious, shoot me an email (rtgast@hotmail.com) and I may be interested in buying it. I have 498 and 117 right now. Getting ready to repost 498 for sale again. So far, no takers at $34K, only 11K miles pristine. That being said, I would like to have a SC car.

Randy

Harold, If your serious, shoot me an email (rtgast@hotmail.com) and I may be interested in buying it. I have 498 and 117 right now. Getting ready to repost 498 for sale again. So far, no takers at $34K, only 11K miles pristine. That being said, I would like to have a SC car.

Randy

Thanks. I am really reluctant to sell. If I change my mind I will email.

Archived