TEAM SHELBY FORUM

69 Convertible Seat Belt Question

agwinged

Need help with the seat belts configuration for a 1969 Shelby convertible. When I bought the car all of the seat belts were in a box. I’m ready to restore the belts but want to ensure I’m restoring what the car needs.

There is clearly a matching set of male and female belts for the back seat along with the retractable male that pulls out of the rear interior quarter panel. There is the front female (smaller size) for the front that sits in the center console when not in use that mates to the retractable male belt. Then I have another complete set of male/female Shelby belts that look like the rear set. If I put them all in the car, the front would have two sets of belts, the smaller (1968 version) that goes in the center console for the shoulder harness and then a lap belt set.

Is that right? Sure would appreciate hearing what originally came on the car of most photos on the internet don’t show the complete belt system.

Thanks

cclark.xyz@gmail.com

Seatbelts in '69 are a one year oddity. I've had both coupes and fastbacks, and there are two female sides per person for the front seats ('70 Mustangs do not have this, and that is why their console to not have the receivers for the extra female side). On the coupe and fastback, there is a retractable lap belt down between the bottom of the seat and the door sill. There is also a shoulder belt that stores above the side window (and it's one no one ever uses) and latches to the other female end. I beleive this is replaced on the convertibles by another retractable belt that is stored in the rear quarter interior panel, right behind the door.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived