TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR owners abandoning ship...?

oldlugs

I watch eBay fairly regularly and I usually see around 5 there at any given time, with a range of 1-10. I'm sure the reasons vary, but Rob is right that the economy has the largest part to do with it.

I sold my '07 40th GT500 recently, mostly because I wanted a new body style and had two 07-09's. In some ways, I already regret that decision. I tell myself I will never sell the KR, but you know they say never say never.

The good news is that the bottom of the market so far for KR's seems to be around 50k...I hope they can hold they can hold their value and not fall too much more.

We have all sold a car that we wouldn't mind having back. So, the KR is no different, or is it? I enjoy mine, it's paid off, and thank the good Lord, I don't have to sell it for something else. I enjoy this car so much when I get to drive it and look forward to many more years of fun and ownership. As far as the market went for new KR's, when they were being sold, the selling price was headed back up to $59,000. But I haven't seen a new one for sale in quite some time. Does anyone know of a new KR for sale?

I just had a look, and see 5 late model KRs on eBay at the same time...

KRs on eBay

...were they bought by speculators, who now aren't seeing profit in the forecast? Makes me wish I had more cash - I'd like one of each color!

As far as investments go, a vehicle has to be one of the worst. I don't think anyone bought a KR expecting to turn a profit, especially when they paid in excess of 80k. That's still a Mustang under there.

We have all sold a car that we wouldn't mind having back. So, the KR is no different, or is it? I enjoy mine, it's paid off, and thank the good Lord, I don't have to sell it for something else. I enjoy this car so much when I get to drive it and look forward to many more years of fun and ownership. As far as the market went for new KR's, when they were being sold, the selling price was headed back up to $59,000. But I haven't seen a new one for sale in quite some time. Does anyone know of a new KR for sale?

Simi Ford in California has a new 2009 Black on Black with 10k off MSRP written across the windshield. :headscratch:

Simi Ford in California has a new 2009 Black on Black with 10k off MSRP written across the windshield. :headscratch:

Yeah, but wasn't MSRP something like $88K?

That means they're selling it for $78K?

I don't THINK soooooooo.

Phil Long Ford (Co. Springs) just e-mailed me and said they have a KR coming in, just in case I knew anyone interested....haven't heard a color or price yet but I'll ask, just for S&G's.

EDIT: The email they sent me says it's a '08.

Phill

Yeah, but wasn't MSRP something like $88K?

That means they're selling it for $78K?

I don't THINK soooooooo.

Phil Long Ford (Co. Springs) just e-mailed me and said they have a KR coming in, just in case I knew anyone interested....haven't heard a color or price yet but I'll ask, just for S&G's.

Phill

I offered 55k last year and was laughed at. :shrug: . Can't hurt to try.

Possibly the same black KR I saw sitting outside on their lot, about two years ago... I actually bought mine at the end of '09 for 64K, from a dealer nearby Simi Ford (and mine had been kept inside). I was seeing some sell for a couple grand less a few months later, but I'm not complaining. Funny, how some dealers still have overpriced new ones.

I offered 55k last year and was laughed at. :shrug: . Can't hurt to try.

When I was looking at buying my 2010 GT500 the dealer I bought from had a Kona Blue Roush 427R, a Kona Blue/white GT500, a Black/silver GT500 (all 3 were 2010MY cars) and a Silver/blue KR on the showroom floor (I thought it was a '09, the guy who bought it said it was a '08). I had my pick of any of them.

The KR had a window sticker on it that was something like $88K but the SVT sales manager said he'd sell it to me for ~$66K "in real money" (I was a cash buyer).

That same KR sold shortly after I bought the Kona Blue/white GT500 for somewhere around $66K to a guy that was on TS for a short time before he had to sell it. He went to the dealer he bought it from (he also paid cash) and apparently asked for too much. They told him if he got down to the $55K level, they'd buy it from him.

He ended up selling it to a private party for....$55K! He might'a had it for 2 months and put a few REALLY nice mods on it (widened the rear wheels, 1-pc. Al. driveshaft, etc. etc. etc.).

I sure do feel sorry for those folks that "had to have one" and paid the crazy ADM's that were out there.

Phill

Possibly the same black KR I saw sitting outside on their lot, about two years ago... I actually bought mine at the end of '09 for 64K, from a dealer nearby Simi Ford (and mine had been kept inside). I was seeing some sell for a couple grand less a few months later, but I'm not complaining. Funny, how some dealers still have overpriced new ones.

Yep......it sat outside all the time. Stripes needed replacing earlier this year.

No way I'm getting rid of mine. I have 2 - 2009 KR's and love them. These cars are still very rare and anything that is rare will be worth money if you hold onto long enough. If I had a GT500 instead of the KR, I would probably panic. Dont get me wrong, these are great cars but you can get barely used GT500's in the mid 30's now. Who would have thought that Ford would STILL be making the GT500 for the next 7 years when they came out with the 07's? They won't make anymore KR's...PERIOD!! None of us should be surprised these cars have come down in price in the past few years. With all the "go green" and fuel econony that the government is requiring the auto mfg. to be at by 2020, I'm afraid we may be nearing the end of an era....will there be anymore true muscle cars in the future? Just think what the people were saying in 1968 when the KR was selling for around $5,000. People thought that was crazy. If we all knew then what we know now!!! Hang onto those beauties guys.

I agree 100% with Specialrisk. I don't think you'll see another annivesary KR from Ford. I have tried to get SVT to offer KR owners certificates of authenticity like they do just with about everything and all I get is ," That was a one time promotion offered in August of '09 for unsold KRs". Believe me, I have talked with many people at Ford about this and whenever I mention that my GT500s are KRs they immediately direct me to SAI. I have gotten the feeling that they don't want anything to do with another KR. That all said, I have really enjoyed mine and I hope one day my sons will apppreciate them for their uniqueness as well.

I'm not going to sit here and claim the '08-09 KR will be a great investment 20 years down the road.

I purchased mine solely due to the bad economy. I had a 2008 GT-500 and loved that car. I ended up getting a great deal on a '09 KR so I went for it. I love the car and it's uniqueness. The car gets compliments anywhere it goes. People just stop dead in their tracks and stare at it. I'm not used to that....lol. Never had a car that did that to people.

• 1 month later...

Patience gentlemen. Patience.

The KR is a special car produced in very few numbers and is no longer made and likely will not be again. Also last of the pre title Shelbys. A real head turner to boot.

Mix the above and stir well add time and patience and your collectible is ready. Umm umm!

This KR is red. There are only 200 like her in the world. But this one is mine...(for you Full Metal Jacket fans).

Seems rare to me :wub:

Patience gentlemen. Patience.

The KR is a special car produced in very few numbers and is no longer made and likely will not be again. Also last of the pre title Shelbys. A real head turner to boot.

Mix the above and stir well add time and patience and your collectible is ready. Umm umm!

This KR is red. There are only 200 like her in the world. But this one is mine...(for you Full Metal Jacket fans).

Seems rare to me :wub:

+1 on all your points; although I did not buy the car as an investment, I can see the reasons why it may appreciate over time, but like muscle cars of the 60s, it will be many years down the road before these car will pick up value. I would have to say that with some owners abandoning ship, it gives the opportunity to new ones like me to jump onboard. Can't complain about that. I plan to keep mine for a long long time.

Archived