TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with KR bottom twist-lock plate

89Saleen215

I obtained a set of twist-locks and plates, however, trying to find information on how the plates are mounted to the radiator support is next to impossible. The one Shelby annual shows a jig that Shelby used when putting the the plates on. From what I can tell it allowed them to drill out the hood bump-stops and it's rise as well as drill for the inner mounting hole.

So my assumptions are:

1) The outer mounting hole uses the headlight bolt/mount. So did they use a longer bolt because of the plate or did they just reuse the factory headlight bolt?

2) The bump-stop "mounds" were drilled out making about a 1 1/2" hole for the twist-lock pin.

If I'm correct about the above assumptions then the only issue unsolved is how are the inner bolts installed? What bolts are used and what are they tightened to? Does anyone know this information or would someone with a KR want to take 2 bolts out and take some pics for me? :) Pretty please :)

Thanks for any help with this.

Well, it looks like we'd have to pull the bracket and maybe the headlights to really see what's doing...The good news is the passenger side is the headlight bracket and the Hood Prop bracket, so that's clean. The Driver side is more complicated. The only problem with pulling them out, is they are very adjustable and is difficult to get them to line back up.

Passenger Side:

IMG_13361.jpg

Driver side:

IMG_13351.jpg

txcobra - Thanks for those pics.

It does leave an interesting question - the pics supplied by txcobra show different bolts being used than all the other KR's I've seen. All the one's I've seen so far have the same dull aluminum looking bolts that are used all over the place under the hood. Why is this KR different or are all the one's I've seen to date different? Seems there was a change somewhere...

Does anyone feel adventurous and want to take off the drivers side and take some pics?

Before this gets too far - my bad! I just looked more carefully at all the pics I've taken over the years and it appears that depending on the angle of the pic that the bolt has a shoulder, but upon closer inspection it appears that they really are a different bolt with a washer.

So that means that the headlight bolt must be a longer bolt to accommodate the washer and plate...now it's just figuring out how the inner bolts are installed.

Archived