TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4-Point Harness Mount

Madlock

Has anybody installed a 4-point harness mount similar to the Corbeau or NRG products? If so, how much havoc do they wreak upon the interior? Are they easily-removable and do they cause any one-way modifications to the interior trim?

It sure would've been nice if, for at least the 302LS, Ford used the rear seat delete cross bracing as an opportunity to include bona fide harness mounts too - which others could at least co-opt from the parts desk.

As an alternative, I've been thinking of commissioning a piece of custom metalwork consisting of two plates that would mount between the existing seats and the floor pan using the existing mounts - extending rearward into the rear driver's side footwell to provide mounting points for both ends of what will be a mandrel-bent U-shaped steel pipe contoured to fit between the rear of the Recaro driver's seat and front of the left rear seat thigh support, extending to the shoulder belt apertures integrated into the seat. I figure materials, bending, welding and even powder coat should be less than $500.

There are threads that discuss all the reasons why you would not want to go this route. If you are going to strap yourself in where your upper body cannot move from the vertical, you need to do it in conjunction with a true roll bar so that, should you find yourself in a crash that impacts the roof, the roof will not collapse on your immovable, strapped in, upper body and head. There is no "in between" solution for this issue. I have an Autopower set up and my five point (you should consider a five point set up) allows use of the factory seat belts without any issues. I use the five point pretty much track only (the occasional mountain road might be the exception). If you do some searching on TS, you will find the other threads dealing with harnesses. Good luck with your quest.

Jim

I have one in my 2011 for educational driving days.

I was basically the guinea pig for the Sparco harness for the 2011. Nobody really followed up with them or their Mfr. about what it took to make it work after the sale until I did. I seem to recall they said that was the case for the 2010 as well. Additional parts had to be made by the Mfr. for the fitment into the pillars and a different solution for securing the Sparco belts to the floor pan had to be sorted out from another safety equipment vendor , it works well, is secure, and not a mark on the vehicle. The bar is massive so it must stiffen the chassis across the pillars as well.

Opinions vary about using one (or not) and I won't waste any time trying to debate/justify the issue one way or the other. I was quite conflicted about it myself and I'm certainly not one who's going to advocate it's use in the forums. I have it in the car and also supplement it by still wearing the OEM belt. It stops me sliding around in the seat including my upper body- something that the CG lock doesn't do. Yes I'd still buy it and read all the threads around the web I could find on the subject beforehand. I also do other things in my life that some may perceive as having some degree of risk.

All are welcome to PM me or reply to this for more info photos, vendor contact info, etc.

I have one in my 2011 for educational driving days.

I was basically the guinea pig for the Sparco harness for the 2011. Nobody really followed up with them or their Mfr. about what it took to make it work after the sale until I did. I seem to recall they said that was the case for the 2010 as well. Additional parts had to be made by the Mfr. for the fitment into the pillars and a different solution for securing the Sparco belts to the floor pan had to be sorted out from another safety equipment vendor , it works well, is secure, and not a mark on the vehicle. The bar is massive so it must stiffen the chassis across the pillars as well.

Opinions vary about using one (or not) and I won't waste any time trying to debate/justify the issue one way or the other. I was quite conflicted about it myself and I'm certainly not one who's going to advocate it's use in the forums. I have it in the car and also supplement it by still wearing the OEM belt. It stops me sliding around in the seat including my upper body- something that the CG lock doesn't do. Yes I'd still buy it and read all the threads around the web I could find on the subject beforehand. I also do other things in my life that some may perceive as having some degree of risk.

All are welcome to PM me or reply to this for more info photos, vendor contact info, etc.

That's terrific - particularly the "not a mark on the vehicle", part. Would you mind forwarding - by either reply or PM - the part number and any quick-snap photos of the mounting points so I can at least get an idea of how it attaches?

Thanks SO much!

Archived