TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SO ALL IS QUIET NOW

hourigan218

:unsure: So now all of a sudden things got very quiet for the 2013 model. Guess all prior info and details was speculation and wishful thinking because nothing is being revealed anymore. Just a thought, would it better to buy an existing 2011 and send it to be made into a super snake or just wait for the 2013? I am really starting to love the super snake, but is it even possible to have one made or shelby builds only a certain number of S.S. Any one with info out there?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:unsure: So now all of a sudden things got very quiet for the 2013 model. Guess all prior info and details was speculation and wishful thinking because nothing is being revealed anymore. Just a thought, would it better to buy an existing 2011 and send it to be made into a super snake or just wait for the 2013? I am really starting to love the super snake, but is it even possible to have one made or shelby builds only a certain number of S.S. Any one with info out there?

As for my own opinion, it is quiet because in less than two months we will all see the 2013 SHELBY in the L.A. Auto Show, and the modifications are going to be little, but very evident, where we all will notice the difference.

The Shelby 2013 is going to be REALLY COOL, mostly because of the power increase and the tail light modification, so here I am...DYING AND WAITING at least another two months when the 2013 Shelby will be revealed...

So my asnwer is YES WAIT, hang on to your wishes and wait a little more, I think if you DO NOT WAIT you will regret, and plus...two more months and the 2011 WILL BE EVEN CHEAPER in case you still don't have one, or if you do and you're thinking in SUPER SNAKING IT, wait a little bit...it may not be worth it at the moment.

2013 IS COMING SOON! :woohoo:

Regards,

braztang

I just cant see drastic changes for 2013 with the big change coming for the aniversery year....maybe just a TVS to keep it faster than the LS1......then again what do i know as i actually married that crazy ex- wife of mine so all bets are off on my reliability.

:headscratch:

It is interisting when I see times and speed on the GT500s, I own a GT 5.0 premium 2011 and I went for a 1/4 mile and in three runs, my best was 12.38 and 117.5. with "factory 19' wheels and tires"

All I have is a 639USD mod, which includes a STEEDA CAI + SCT 97 street tunning and a Flowmaster hushpower axle-back muffler!

Why the 5.0s are sometimes faster the the SHELBYs? any special reason?

I would appreciate an input on this issue.

safe ride,

braztang

It is interisting when I see times and speed on the GT500s, I own a GT 5.0 premium 2011 and I went for a 1/4 mile and in three runs, my best was 12.38 and 117.5. with "factory 19' wheels and tires"

All I have is a 639USD mod, which includes a STEEDA CAI + SCT 97 street tunning and a Flowmaster hushpower axle-back muffler!

safe ride,

braztang

the driver mod

At least with the GT500, slamming the throttle overwhelms the chassis and tires; it takes a good driver, likely some experience in the car, and decent conditions to modulate the power to the chassis, tire and available traction limits to achieve maximum performance. The only so-so manual transmission also adds to the challenge.

In my unscientific tests with my iPhone performance app I've found it extremely easy to get very, very bad launch times in my GT500. It will spin the tires all the way through 1st and 2nd gear before hooking up. I've seen over 6.5 sec 0-60 times doing that. Something my SUV with an auto and 4x4 will pretty match without any effort what so ever just by mashing the throttle. The SUV can't do any better and it won't ever do any worse (well, maybe uphill in the snow). The GT500 on the other hand in theory can be more than 2 sec. faster to 60 MPH if the driver knew what he was doing or wasn't just enjoying the occasional burnout.

As mentioned in numerous posts, this is something Ford will have to address to be competitive. For better or worse, technology has come along way with respect to traction control and transmissions. It is extremely satisfying to get a clean launch and then manage a clean 1st to 2nd gear shift while driving the GT500. However, most reviewers, owners, etc. are not going to blame their lack of skill for a poor time in a GT500. Particularly if they can easily better it in a competive vehicle like a auto Camaro, or a cheaper model, like 5.0 with an auto.

safe ride,

braztang

Yes the driver is a big reason. My car bone stock on the factory radials ran a best of 12.60s at116 MPH missing 2nd. Now I have a S/C pulley, lower IW pulley, tune, and most importantly drag radials. I consider these minor bolt on mods. Alot also has to do with the fact that these cars wake up so much with minor mods, nice power from the factory but also very detuned. Have not gone to the track yet but I am pretty sure it will run mid 11s @ 125+. I ran a GTR this weekend that runs 126+ and my car was just as fast.

Ford did a great job making the new 5.0s easy to drive fast. If you keep you car at full weight and stock trans setup you would need a 125 HP shot of N20 or super charger to run trap speeds in the 125 range.

Stock for stock you are correct they are very close but its drivability mostly. With minor mods the Shelbys are much faster.

Thanks for the input, I do have some 20 years expericence in driving manual trans and speeding, I never tried a Shelby before, difficult to get a TEST DRIVE out of a dealer nowadays. I am waiting for the 2013 Shelby to be out, then I may trade in my 5.0 GT. I now the question is out of context, and I KNOW it is not a matter of who wins, but sometimes if power is a factor, I wonder why one would spend so much money on a Shelby if a GT can do better sometimes, or at least close to the Shelby perfomrance.

SHELBYs are different machines, that is why I want to own one!

I ran about 10 times against a Shelby in the 1/4 mle and was never yet beaten by a Shelby on a quarter mile and that said, IT WAS PURELY because of the LAUNCH because they almost caught up at the end!

TAKE CARE AND THANK YOU AGAIN.

Safe ride,

braztang.

Thanks for the input, I do have some 20 years expericence in driving manual trans and speeding, I never tried a Shelby before, difficult to get a TEST DRIVE out of a dealer nowadays. I am waiting for the 2013 Shelby to be out, then I may trade in my 5.0 GT. I now the question is out of context, and I KNOW it is not a matter of who wins, but sometimes if power is a factor, I wonder why one would spend so much money on a Shelby if a GT can do better sometimes, or at least close to the Shelby perfomrance.

SHELBYs are different machines, that is why I want to own one!

I ran about 10 times against a Shelby in the 1/4 mle and was never yet beaten by a Shelby on a quarter mile and that said, IT WAS PURELY because of the LAUNCH because they almost caught up at the end!

TAKE CARE AND THANK YOU AGAIN.

Safe ride,

braztang.

Well in response to the Why spend; It will be answered when you drive one

A 2011 Super Snake sould definitely be on your short list. Production for the 2011 Super Snake is capped at 500 cars, as of today's date there are still build openings available.

Keep in mind that a 2011 or 2012 Shelby Super Snake, especially one with the 800hp package, will be rarer than any 2013 pony car from Ford or Chevy. Carroll Shelby and Shelby American will do what it takes to continue as the top dog in this new era of pony car wars.

Steve

Plenty of room to get under the SS cap. With roughly 4000 Shelby's per model year I doubt the cap limit will ever be reached.

The 5.0's can probably hang with the Shelby's in a 1/4 mile race, due mainly to wheel spin on the GT500. But if you were at cruising speed the GT500 would blow the 5.0 away. It does take some driver skill to not just hammer the gas pedal to the floor.

Not sure Ford will ever fix the wheel spin in the GT500. The wheel spin probably helps protect the rear end. If those wheels really hooked up for a powerful launch the stress on the rear end would be huge.

I'd wait to see the 2013. There is no rush to buy an '11 and SS it. A couple more months of waiting won't hurt you.

Plenty of room to get under the SS cap. With roughly 4000 Shelby's per model year I doubt the cap limit will ever be reached.

The 5.0's can probably hang with the Shelby's in a 1/4 mile race, due mainly to wheel spin on the GT500. But if you were at cruising speed the GT500 would blow the 5.0 away. It does take some driver skill to not just hammer the gas pedal to the floor.

Not sure Ford will ever fix the wheel spin in the GT500. The wheel spin probably helps protect the rear end. If those wheels really hooked up for a powerful launch the stress on the rear end would be huge.

I'd wait to see the 2013. There is no rush to buy an '11 and SS it. A couple more months of waiting won't hurt you.

Yeah but some kind of launch control to maybe cut power until the car is going would help greatly.

Well in response to the Why spend; It will be answered when you drive one

Can't wait to drive a SHELBY!

Tried a few different dealers here in NYC area but no luck...nobody believes that you really want to buy it. WELCOME TO NY ATTITUDE!

Take care all,

Safe ride,

braztang

Keep in mind that a 2011 or 2012 Shelby Super Snake, especially one with the 800hp package, will be rarer than any 2013 pony car from Ford or Chevy. Carroll Shelby and Shelby American will do what it takes to continue as the top dog in this new era of pony car wars.

Steve

This begs the question - how rare will the 2013 Shelby Super Snake be and when will be able to order one? :D

Forgot what web site inwas surfing but I read that the 2013 will debut in bout 7 weeks at an unveiling with ford top brass. Any one else heard this? I can't seem to remember or find the web site? But I am eagerly waiting!!!!!!!

The new tailight configuration will be interesting to see. There will have to be some suspension and chasis tweaks to accomodate the significant power increase that will be in place with the TVS upgrade.

Well GASSMAN hope it will be worth the wait. OHHH and so many RUMORS about the changes coming to the 2013 and major ones for the 2014-15 model. The 13 should be a nice touch up. I hope they change the tail lights a bit "and I'M NOT HATING " just would like to see a modern version of either the 67 or 68 shelby's . I think that would look pretty cool along with a satin or polished TVS blower. And if they go with the TVS I wonder how much more we will be able to get out of the engine with a tune, I mean 625 h.p. out of the box and still be able to give it a few tweaks DAMN!!!! We are talking 700 h.p. with minor mods. WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Well GASSMAN hope it will be worth the wait. OHHH and so many RUMORS about the changes coming to the 2013 and major ones for the 2014-15 model. The 13 should be a nice touch up. I hope they change the tail lights a bit "and I'M NOT HATING " just would like to see a modern version of either the 67 or 68 shelby's . I think that would look pretty cool along with a satin or polished TVS blower. And if they go with the TVS I wonder how much more we will be able to get out of the engine with a tune, I mean 625 h.p. out of the box and still be able to give it a few tweaks DAMN!!!! We are talking 700 h.p. with minor mods. WOOOOOHOOOOOO

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085 This is mid 700s(flywheel) at the minimum on HP and TQ. The TVS on the '13 is a total gamechanger for sure. Peak HP #s are of course far better than the current stock eaton even when outfitted with a reducer pulley and tune. What really needs to be a appreciated graphically is the area uner the torque plot on this setup. There is a massive increase in power off idle and all the way through the rpm range. The TVS properly tuned yields 550 lbs. of torque at a mere 2,000 rpm and 650 lbs. at 3,000. The overall driving experience here is wildly different. The 2013 GT500 with factory TVS profoundly raises the bar and will open a new chapter in pony car performance. This is big stuff.

I prefer to wait for actual details from Ford. Far too many people letting their imaginations fuel all these threads. Whatever Ford has in store it will be based upon WARRANTY first. They are not going to do anything that is going to result in a warranty nightmare in a year or two.

The factory TVS for the '13 was reported in the auto press months ago. You can bet the farm on it. Understandable that some current Gt500 owners may not be receptive to this as it is a major upgrade to the factory stock config with even greater potential than what is available for the current Eaton unit. No surprise here at all.

The factory TVS for the '13 was reported in the auto press months ago. You can bet the farm on it. Understandable that some current Gt500 owners may not be receptive to this as it is a major upgrade to the factory stock config with even greater potential than what is available for the current Eaton unit. No surprise here at all.

I don't own a GT500 so I'm not being unreceptive to it, I just prefer to wait and see what is ACTUALLY done to the 2013. Internet rumor is usually far from reality,

I don't own a GT500 so I'm not being unreceptive to it, I just prefer to wait and see what is ACTUALLY done to the 2013. Internet rumor is usually far from reality,

The TVS for '13 has been reported and detailed multiple times in the automotive press which has a degree of credibility to be protected. I'd put more stock there vs. an internet posters skepticism.

The TVS for '13 has been reported and detailed multiple times in the automotive press which has a degree of credibility to be protected. I'd put more stock there vs. an internet posters skepticism.

I'm just saying I'll wait until Ford reveals all the details. You seem obsessed with wanting to be right....so YEAH a TVS!!!! What awesome news!!! Happy?

I'm just saying I'll wait until Ford reveals all the details. You seem obsessed with wanting to be right....so YEAH a TVS!!!! What awesome news!!! Happy?

No big deal Dude, this is pretty exciting info for many of us from reputable sources that you don't believe until you see it. You sound like the guy who pops kids balloons and throws a wet blanket on the camp fire.

No big deal Dude, this is pretty exciting info for many of us from reputable sources that you don't believe until you see it. You sound like the guy who pops kids balloons and throws a wet blanket on the camp fire.

That's overacting quite bit isn't it? The fact that I prefer to wait until the car is revealed suddenly makes me an evil guy who pops kid's balloons.

You might have some issues that I would suggest you seek professional help for.

I love how you got owned when you tried to make me seem like a GT500 owner who was upset about possible upgrades. When that little attack didn't work you you now resort to this.

I guess your mom didn't hug you enough....as I said....seek professional help. :)

Archived