TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Haulin' GT-H

I need to Haul a GT-H about 500 miles and was going to do so in an 20' Haulmark enclosed Trailer. I have some worries about the spoiler being so low and being able to strap the car down. I Hauled my KR when I bought it and removed the front splitter in order to tie down the car. I really don't want to pull the front end off the GT-H to haul it. Please anyone that has experience on how to do this I would appreciate you input.

Thanks for your help,

SVT

I recently purchased a pair of Race Ramps and they make everything much easier. They are notched to set the trailer door down into. They are awsome. However, if you do not haul that often, then what I did before I purchased my Race Ramps, was to get some regular car ramps (the heavy duty ABS ones you can get at about any auto parts store or Wal Mart) are best. Drive the rear axle of your truck up onto the ramps with your trailer connected. This usually drops the rear of most enclosed trailers that I've seen very close to the ground, then your rear door ramp angle should be fine for getting your GT-H up on the trailer. Other than that, it is finding the best parking lot dip, etc. where you can lower the rear tires of th trailer into, in effect droping the rear height of the trailer as close to the ground as possible. Those are the best ways that I know of. The rear truck lift method onto car ramps to lift the front of the trailer, I used for years going to the race track. However the Race Ramps made that issue go away. Obviously just be really careful pulling your truck up onto ramps and make sure you set your parking brake and even use trailer wheel chocks to be extra careful.

These are similar ramps to what I've used in the past for the truck lift method. I set them in front of the rear tires and drove the truck forward onto them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blitz-PoweRamp-12000-Set/16677191

Race Ramps:

http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-products.aspx

I recently purchased a pair of Race Ramps and they make everything much easier. They are notched to set the trailer door down into. They are awsome. However, if you do not haul that often, then what I did before I purchased my Race Ramps, was to get some regular car ramps (the heavy duty ABS ones you can get at about any auto parts store or Wal Mart) are best. Drive the rear axle of your truck up onto the ramps with your trailer connected. This usually drops the rear of most enclosed trailers that I've seen very close to the ground, then your rear door ramp angle should be fine for getting your GT-H up on the trailer. Other than that, it is finding the best parking lot dip, etc. where you can lower the rear tires of th trailer into, in effect droping the rear height of the trailer as close to the ground as possible. Those are the best ways that I know of. The rear truck lift method onto car ramps to lift the front of the trailer, I used for years going to the race track. However the Race Ramps made that issue go away. Obviously just be really careful pulling your truck up onto ramps and make sure you set your parking brake and even use trailer wheel chocks to be extra careful.

These are similar ramps to what I've used in the past for the truck lift method. I set them in front of the rear tires and drove the truck forward onto them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blitz-PoweRamp-12000-Set/16677191

Race Ramps:

http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-products.aspx

Thanks for the idea with the car ramps. How then are you securing your car. The car is so low and front fascia has a bottom piece. Do you have a strap to go over the wheels or are you strapping it down around the front frame?

I need to Haul a GT-H about 500 miles and was going to do so in an 20' Haulmark enclosed Trailer. I have some worries about the spoiler being so low and being able to strap the car down. I Hauled my KR when I bought it and removed the front splitter in order to tie down the car. I really don't want to pull the front end off the GT-H to haul it. Please anyone that has experience on how to do this I would appreciate you input.

Thanks for your help,

SVT

When I took my GT-H from Oklahoma City to Las Vegas I found the best way to haul it was with me in the drivers seat driving. Got to keep an eye on her at all times and had a whole bunch of fun. Only 17.5 hours of "hauling", fun and memories. I then "hauled" my car from Vegas to Calgary, Alberta in a mere 20.5 hours so your 7 hour drive would be "easy as pie";)

All kidding aside, I have no experience in hauling vehicles. Every time I think about getting a trailer, I decide to drive.

Good luck with your transport.

QSS

Thanks for your help,

SVT

I have a 40 foot enclosed trailer and I do not have any trouble straping down my KR with the factor splitter. I strap on to the lower control arms and it is low enough that the strap does not touch the splitter. I would cross the straps in the front and back so you do not get any movement side to side.

In my trailer, I position the car with the tie down hooks about 4-6" in front of the splitter. I cross the straps from the factory hooking points on that bracket, which hangs down from the frame, just ahead of the suspension mounting points, then down to the hooks in the floor. The straps barley are below the facia like that. I don't have a pic right now to post. I use the smaller 1" straps in the front. In the back I use the heavy 2" strap and 2" axle straps and then just loop over the rear end on each side. I've never had any issues like that. I want to add the tracks to my trailer and then get the straps that go over the tires but haven't done that yet.

Thanks for your help,

SVT

Well I wanted to update you on what I was working on. I purchased another GTH and decided to take QSS advice and drive it home from Oklahoma City on Saturday. It was about 480 miles and I really had a good time driving the car home. The car only had 1,300 miles as I purchased it from a Hertz Executive from OK. He took great car of the car and I was happy to find an unmolested GT-H that I intend keep forever. In fact it is so unmolested it still has the traction control clip in place....never been removed. QSS you'll be interested to know that I purchased the car from Brian the same Gentlemen you purchased your 2007 5 speed from. I told Brian I took your advice and put my butt in the seat and drove it home and he got a kick out of that. Well thats about it GT-H #366 now resides in TX. I still have #417 with 13,000 miles that I will probably sell later if anyone has interest. I would tell you its a 9 on a scale of 9 to 10 and is probably as nice as you will find for the mileage. I feel truly blessed to have two of these sitting in my garage along with a KR but I"ll have to let go of #417 to make room for my NEXT purchase.

Thanks for all the help,

SVT

Well I wanted to update you on what I was working on. I purchased another GTH and decided to take QSS advice and drive it home from Oklahoma City on Saturday. It was about 480 miles and I really had a good time driving the car home. The car only had 1,300 miles as I purchased it from a Hertz Executive from OK. He took great car of the car and I was happy to find an unmolested GT-H that I intend keep forever. In fact it is so unmolested it still has the traction control clip in place....never been removed. QSS you'll be interested to know that I purchased the car from Brian the same Gentlemen you purchased your 2007 5 speed from. I told Brian I took your advice and put my butt in the seat and drove it home and he got a kick out of that. Well thats about it GT-H #366 now resides in TX. I still have #417 with 13,000 miles that I will probably sell later if anyone has interest. I would tell you its a 9 on a scale of 9 to 10 and is probably as nice as you will find for the mileage. I feel truly blessed to have two of these sitting in my garage along with a KR but I"ll have to let go of #417 to make room for my NEXT purchase.

Thanks for all the help,

SVT

YEAH BABAY!!!!!! That's totally a great story. Brian is a great guy and I am totally excited just reading your post. It really takes me back to June of 2009 when I purchase the 07 5spd from him. I just took my traction control clip out of my car about a month ago......... I can be so lazy some times.

I am so excited that you drove her home. What a great trip you must of had. I bet you couldn't wipe the smile off your face, I envy you so much. Congratulations :yahoo:

You just made my night, thanks svtakach62.

QSS

If you'll have some sort of get together for mustangs or Shelbys in the Woodlands let me know.

SVT

I will keep you posted. This weekend in The Woodlands, is a Camaro vs Mustangs show at Hooters. I wont be there, i wil be in San Antonio. This is put on by Northside Mustang club. They have a .org website

Archived