TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Going After My Soiled Butt. Well, Rusty Too.

SicShelby

The right housing was covered in dif fluid, so hence the absence of rust after I cleaned it. Mine has seen rain, snow, dirt roads, and much more, so don't mind the dirtiness. Typical rust:

P1050478.jpg

P1050477.jpg

P1050473.jpg

SEM Rust-Mort was recommended to me (the stuff Grabber used is apparently not sold in California) with the help of Samuel Adams:

P1050480.jpg

P1050481.jpg

Note my newest modification:

P1050483.jpg

Good luck with all that Sic

Me personally i'm taking the outta sight outta mind plan

Now pass me one of those Sam Adams

I'm kind of the same way but the rust bugs me. <_<

I guess we've beaten this topic about to death if the only relevant post is about beer, lol. :hysterical:

One Sam Adams coming up.

Doing the paint today. :lurk:

At the safety meeting we attended prior to the tour of the alliance factory where they build the mustang I asked about the "pre-rusted" rear axles on our cars. Their answer? It would cost $45.00 to paint the axles - so they don't.

I was speechless.

Good job Sic

Thank you, sir!

At the safety meeting we attended prior to the tour of the alliance factory where they build the mustang I asked about the "pre-rusted" rear axles on our cars. Their answer? It would cost $45.00 to paint the axles - so they don't.

I was speechless.

You know I heard something along the lines of that somewhere. Somehow I'm sure there's more cost to doing that once it hits the buyer. $45 is no reason to skip on treating the rear-end.

Oh well!

On my to-do list for this winter. Think I will just hit it with Extend and then a good brush-on paint. Although..........looks like covering it in diff fluid works just as well :hysterical:

Hey, Sic - do those exhaust cut-outs stay open all the time? I don't see a valve. I would think the noise police in CA would want to have a roadside chat with you on a regular basis :busted:

On my to-do list for this winter. Think I will just hit it with Extend and then a good brush-on paint. Although..........looks like covering it in diff fluid works just as well :hysterical:

Hey, Sic - do those exhaust cut-outs stay open all the time? I don't see a valve. I would think the noise police in CA would want to have a roadside chat with you on a regular basis :busted:

It's a lot of fun, IMO. Just take your time! I just finished cleaning up the entire underneath of the car too--it needed it. But yes, if all else fails, just give it a good greasing a couple times a year. :yup:

Actually I just had electric valves on the y-pipes but I took them out two weeks ago because I never ran them closed. So, now it's loud all the time. Honestly there are louder things out here than me. If I do get a ticket and have to get an inspection I can unstrap the y-pipes and put the stock piece that I cut off back in and voila, back to stock.

I'm going to put my butt up on a rack and give it a touch up next weekend...there's a couple of areas which need some maintenance...

I'm going to put my butt up on a rack and give it a touch up next weekend...there's a couple of areas which need some maintenance...

Make sure to put it down on one of those donut pillows until everything heals up good. ;)

Although the front end looks like it's treated (at least relative to the rear end anyway), I'm starting to see some surface rust there, too. What was it with Ford on these cars? :headscratch:

Make sure to put it down on one of those donut pillows until everything heals up good. ;)

Although the front end looks like it's treated (at least relative to the rear end anyway), I'm starting to see some surface rust there, too. What was it with Ford on these cars? :headscratch:

A mustang body coming down the line doesn't care if its going to be GT500 or an econobox V6, they are all treated the same. This car was not designed from the beginning to be a $50,000. car. It was designed as a $20,000. car.

We just like a lot of options. Very expensive options. :shift:

LU7E9957.jpg

Probably sounded like a stupid question, but I never contemplated what they were for or even gave them notice to tell you the truth. Why are they even on there? And before I get under there again, are they just bolted on with that one bolt? What's up with that?

looks great would love to do the same to mine. Just knowing that is there is very bothering. Did you have to take anything off to seal and paint?? Any things to avoid or tricks??

Also I saw Picklex as another option. Anyone test the two and prefer one over the other??

Cheers

You really don't have to take anything off if you don't want to, so no, you don't have to remove the entire rear-end unless you are super particular about over-spray. One thing that I didn't take a picture of was taping off and covering the whole car with plastic so that the over-spray didn't get on the paint, and I'm glad I did; you will want to do that--I picked up a thin some thin, plastic garbage-bag-type stuff from the paint shop when I was there. It covered the whole car.

One thing that did help me was dropping the rear-end a little bit before I painted (and I should have done that from the get-go but I was lazy). Once you have it jacked up and on jack stands, place a jack underneath the differential and lift it up a bit. Disconnect the supports for the brake lines that are attached to the fenders. Disconnect the bolts that hold the shocks to the rear-end and free them up, and then disconnect your panhard bar if you need to. I also disconnected the sway bar but that may have been unnecessary. Once that is done, you can lower the rear-end with the jack and give yourself some more room to work underneath it.

I didn't so much care about painting over the bolts and everything around the calipers, etc. Everything under there is black anyway, so no big deal to me. If you're different just tape everything off that you don't want black.

As far as product, Rust-Mort was recommended to me for the rust converter, so I don't known how much they all really differ--they do the same thing. Picklex *sounds* like a good product to me after reading about it on their website.

Archived