TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pardon me while I rant

SteelSteeds

Don't think it's engine shortage as they have been selling as crate engines to the general public. A buddy of mine is stuffing on in a 89 5.0!

Welcome eci.

I see that your new here.

What part of the country are you from & what type of cars do you have?

Are you getting a GT500 or a new Mustang GT to build up?

What kind of cars have you had in the past? and what mods have you done?

Snoopy, think of it this way:

Roots type don't have any screw-type (sharp-lobed) rotors. Typically they have two 3-lobed 'blunt' rotors of a low-helix (15-60* twist) design spanning applications from NHRA AA/FD and FC to GT500s.

Of course, the fact that twin screws only have one 'screw' (typically a 5-lobed 'sharp' rotor -- looks like a screw) and one 3-lobed blunt rotor that spins 60% faster than it's screw-type mate, makes things confusing too. Twin-screws are high-helix designs, typically with twists greater than 90*.

With Eaton's new TVS coming along, it blurs the line further (actually redefines a new line) since it's the first high-helix (160*!!!) Roots-type using two 4-lobed blunt rotors -- undoubtedly the result of extensive computer design/modelling -- seemingly with all the advantages of the twin-screw (no heat soak and high-efficiency at the limits) and with rotors that spin at the same speed so it's operating potential is not limited by a 'fast' rotor (the three-lobed blunt one in a twin-screw) and can potentially be more compact for a given displacement or driven more conservatively at a similar size or some of both.

The KB won't fit under the GT500 brace, imo, primarily because the 5-lobed 'screw' rotor requires a larager diameter design to prevent its' 3-lobed blunt mate' from having to spin at untenable speeds. That defines the package height of a twinscrew. That's also why I think the TVS will fit under the brace just fine ;-)

The twinscrews are superb products. To my mind, the TVS design is every bit their equal but with operational and packaging benefits the twin-screws don't. Of course, the TVS hasn't shipped yet (or is just shipping about now?), but with Eaton's depth of experience with both prior designs (twin-screw and lo-helix roots) I fully expect the TVS to be an outstanding product -- Eaton's engineering is second to none, imo.

Given Eaton's long history with Ford (I think just about every new Eaton S/C design going back decades has first shipped in a Ford) I'm just wondering if we aren't going to see the TVS pop-up in a production Ford very soon -- dunno, but they typically don't make new product for the hell of it ...that's not Eaton's style -- they typically engineer products as specific customer solutions ...so I'm just wondering... <there I go again -- lol> ;-)

I think what he's saying is that an auto GT gets better mileage than many other cars Ford sells, such as SUVs, thus raising the CAFE.

I concur. I have an 05 auto and am extremely happy with my mileage. I drive 10 miles each way to work, low traffic morning, rush hour evening. I average between 19 and 21 in town, even with some spirited driving. On the highway, if I stay under 70, with cruise control on and no a/c, I have achieved 31.5. My average on the highway when I don't adhere to the above is about 26. Now if I am feeling my oats, I can drop my in town average to about 16. Not bad for a V8 :) Now if I only had a couple hundred more horsepower, a blower, a 5.4 and the words GT500 on the rocker panels ... come on MSRP! I can hardly wait to drop the MPGs!

Sounds like you did a home equity as a matter of convience rather than need judging by how quickly you satisfied the note. Risking your home as collateral for a term of years in order to obtain a rapidly depreciating luxury item is beyond terrible. It is just plain stupid as the lender has a 2nd lien on your home and will foreclose if you are unable to make timely payments on both the 1st and 2nd mortgages. It is financially illogical to put yourself in that precarious position.

Lets look at the numbers. I find a Shelby for $45,000, I take out a HE loan for $25,000, pay the balance myself. I pay about $800 in interest. I work my butt off and pay off the loan. The Kelly Blue Book is $63,000 for the car. I am ahead $18,000.

If you have a "rapidly depreciating" Shelby Cobra GT 500 I'll buy it. Hell I'll take out a HE loan for it. :D

I know I can pay off the loan fast. Show me where "stupid" falls in here? :headscratch:

I concur. I have an 05 auto and am extremely happy with my mileage. I drive 10 miles each way to work, low traffic morning, rush hour evening. I average between 19 and 21 in town, even with some spirited driving. On the highway, if I stay under 70, with cruise control on and no a/c, I have achieved 31.5. My average on the highway when I don't adhere to the above is about 26. Now if I am feeling my oats, I can drop my in town average to about 16. Not bad for a V8 :) Now if I only had a couple hundred more horsepower, a blower, a 5.4 and the words GT500 on the rocker panels ... come on MSRP! I can hardly wait to drop the MPGs!

You know, it's interesting. In the old days, manual transmissions got better mileage. Today, with the extremely efficient OD autos, they do really well ON THE HIGHWAY.

Dave

You know, it's interesting. In the old days, manual transmissions got better mileage. Today, with the extremely efficient OD autos, they do really well ON THE HIGHWAY.

Dave

A simple lead-foot weight lose program Mod, does really well also

I feel your pain...

I was lucky and found an outstanding dealer early in 05 and got a deposit in and they stuck to their word.

From the rumbles...the new GT350 may be something for you. At least 10k less, a 5 speed and easy room to grow over 400hp+. Something to think about... and with a good dealer now, a deposit and you could end up with a great car and a good investment. Try to buy an original GT350 now and see what they are running. :banghead:

Give me a holler if you want the name of who I dealt with. They were first rate. Have delivered many SVT products and a half a dozen GT's.

Best of luck to you.

You obviously had the ability to pay the HE note in short order-great, done that also for very short periods with an equity line of credit. Unfortunately many people who tap the real estate ATM do so with little regard for their job security and term of the loan which can be strung out for over a decade in order to reduce the monthly payments all for todays gratification. If you can't afford it, charge it. If the plastic is maxed out, burn up any equity you may have in your home. It's so,so simple. That is when it becomes dangerous and outright stupid.

Glad to hear that your $45,000 car is now worth $63,000. You could use a cup of coffee and long cold shower if you honestly belive that one.

It's all good.

I agree with you 100% on the using your house ATM that is a stupid idea. The deal popped up and found myself cash poor. I have always dreamed of having a Shelby, now I have one in my garage.....I still can't belive it. :yahoo:

You can't really dis someone about HE unless you know the whole financial picture. The thing is it was worth it to him......all of the stock- HE- refinance equity - savings is risk. How much risk do you want to take to purchase your Shelby? Did you use cash?.....How much earned interest have you lost. You can't buy happiness you know........................well in 2007 you could! :wub::lol:

Archived