TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pardon me while I rant

SteelSteeds

I want a Shelby GT500. Bad. I can just barely afford one. At MSRP. I am not fortunate enough to have been able to find one that low. I thought that by this time of year, the ADM would be mostly gone. I was wrong. Yes, it's dropping, but I suspect that nice weather is going to allow the dealers to continue the process.

Now, I see that Ford is granting rebates because Mustang sales are down. What? Here we have all of these people, money in hand, who REALLY want a Mustang, and Ford is giving us rebates on 6 cylinder models and GTs with automatic transmissions? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit people, why?!? I can't claim PSDS, I can't even place an order at a price I can afford! I'm so ready for a new Mustang, but it just isn't going to happen. Sure, I've thought about buying a GT and modding it to suit, and I've thought about some of the "tuner" offerings out there, but that just isn't my thing. I've said for years that I want to buy the top dog Mustang, special ordered from the factory and keep it until I die. I don't care if Carrol Shelby's name is on the butt of the car or not. I'm happy he's involved, but that doesn't impact my desire for the car one bit. Might be better if he wasn't, then I could maybe get one...

Anyway, my main point here is why the *$#@ do we have to sit here, waiting for a high(er) performance Mustang if Ford is having problems selling the tamer versions? Easy solution! MAKE MORE OF WHAT WE WANT, YOU MORONS!!!! Would it really be so hard? Yes, yes, I know all about the "exclusivity" bit. Fine. Let's revisit 1969: Ford introduces the higher performance Mach 1. Makes as many as people want. Result: FANTASTIC sales. GT sales all but disappear, everyone wants the Mach 1. Bonus: More money for Ford. Do the morons in management not know the history of their own company? I am so frustrated by this I can't seem to quit typing... Ugh.

I really want a Mustang. But if Ford won't build me one, I'll have to look elsewhere. I own 3 Mustangs now, one of them is my first car that I've never parted with. I tend to be very loyal, but this is really testing my limits.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Just had to vent. Hit a couple dealers this weekend and am just disgusted. Even the new Shelby GT I saw had an ADM on it: $53k. Stupid.

Fine, keep the Shelby's exclusive, make me something else in the $35-40k range with at least 400hp, and make a BUNCH of them, so that everyone who wants one can get one. grumble

ok, i'll really shut up now

I hear what you are saying, and agree with you that Ford should make as many GT500s as they can. However, I think they are already. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the transmission one of the limiting factors on how many they could make. Those are made by Tremec, not Ford. Also, how many hand built 5.4 L engines can they crank out at Romeo? Don't forget about CAFE standards. They need to sell a certain number of V6s (or Focus, or Fusion, etc) for every GT, let alone GT500.

I believe the bean counters (no offense, accountants) can see where the demand is, and would probably love to sell 100,000 GT500s, or more. Especially now that they have a muscle car to sell, while GM and DCX (to a certain extent) don't.

Easy for me to say, I know. I was fortunate enough to be in a position to get one early, but Ford does have limitations with respect to this vehicle.

***Edit: Spelling***

I understand too what you are saying. If you don't absolutely have to have a brand new one, be patient. I honestly believe that there will be very low mileage used ones available soon after the "Next Big Thing" is produced, There are always those people out there who have to have the newest and the best, and they part with the last best thing. Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

I'm with you Steel... make more is an easy way around it.

2007? Fine - they were testing the waters (don't want to over produce not knowing true demand) and suppliers were ramping up.

2008? They know demand. Any good manufacturing company knows to ramp up production on a heavily demanded item. You don't need to go from 9000 to 100,000 (although that would be fine if there were that many buyers out there), but they KNOW demand is beyond what they're supplying. Move it so that the curves intersect! They will still make the same profit per car - deals will make less (lower ADM's hopefully), but everyone will win. Consumers get their product. Manufacturer maximizes production and profits (without having to rebate or discount) and distribution (dealers) get more product to sell (actually making more profits selling many vehicles at MSRP than 1 or 2 at a big markup).

Sounds like a WIN WIN WIN to me!

Heck, who am I? Just a damn consumer... seems like me and my brothers and sisters matter the least anymore to Ford!

I hear ya & I say go to shelby autos website & look up a AC Cobra kit car dealer (like Factory five) & build/order your own 1966 AC Cobra that will out perform the GT500 & then you'll be happy with a car that is new & is fast. That was my back up plan.

Factory Five is a very good kit and affordable.

I know several people who have built them are really happy with them

Another limitation were the superchargers. Which was also the reasoning that they went with single-screw rather than dual-screw(a la Ford GT)

I agree that's what I read. There was a limited supply/production capacity for the twin screw . . . and that is why we ended up with what we did.

HSURB

Good advice. The ADM nonsense is on borrowed time and will soon be a laugher. You will have little difficulty obtaining a used 07 in the 30's once the new units sell in the low 40's. ADMs never, ever last long. We are still well inside of a year on the 07s.

Go get 'em Doc.

HSURB

Steel do you own a home? You might think of taking out a home equity loan for the car. The interest is deductible. The Shelbys are cheaper in the southern states (sorry NW dealers), you can find one in the $53,000 range fully equipped.

After you get the car tell your insurance company you drive the car less than 1000 miles pr. yr.

Just a thought never give up. Don't settle for something you don't want.

Good luck :victory:

Steel do you own a home? You might think of taking out a home equity loan for the car. The interest is deductible. The Shelbys are cheaper in the southern states (sorry NW dealers), you can find one in the $53,000 range fully equipped.

After you get the car tell your insurance company you drive the car less than 1000 miles pr. yr.

+ 1............................

Fine, keep the Shelby's exclusive, make me something else in the $35-40k range with at least 400hp, and make a BUNCH of them, so that everyone who wants one can get one. grumble

If you wait....they will come. I'll bet they produce the car you're talking about. The real question is whether those cars too will demand ADMs.

Remember, Ford DID build the car you want. It's the dealerships that are adding the ADMs.

Dave

First off, thanks everyone for the support! Gotta love this forum.

Yes, I know all of the points everyone brought up, and valid ones they are, too. But, I'm a hopeless case. I've never in my life bought a new car. I've planned for 20 years now to buy the perfect, brand new, custom ordered Mustang when I had the opportunity. Now we have this beautiful new body style, together with 500 horses. sigh

The only thing that would make it more perfect would be if you could order a targa top... But I digress.

My '98 Cobra has 73,000 miles on it, and is poised to start dropping in value sharper than before. Perfect time to sell it. I would have traded it on an '04 Cobra but my now-wife and I were buying our first house together in late '04. We've got some equity in it now, but not really enough to do a decent home equity loan.

Yes, I've been saving. But... Well... See... I just couldn't let that money sit in the bank when I have these quiet old Mustangs waiting patiently in the garage. Thursday I retrieved from the machine shop my 351W block, machined, prepped and ready, along with almost $5000 worth of goodies to stuff into it: Forged flat top pistons, forged H-Beam rods, high lift retrofit roller cam and lifters, and CNC ported AFR aluminum heads with Isky springs to handle the cam. All with the goal of putting around 450 horsepower into my 3000 pound 1978 Mustang II King Cobra. Go ahead, roll your eyes. But when I'm roaring down the road with my T-Tops out in a blast-from-the-past disco era car that can run side by side with a stock Shelby GT500, I'll have a big grin on my face.

But, that won't take away my desire for the Shelby one bit. It'll just ease the symptoms while I wait for the price to come down, or something else to come along that will fit the part. :D

I want a Shelby GT500. Bad. I can just barely afford one. At MSRP. I am not fortunate enough to have been able to find one that low. I thought that by this time of year, the ADM would be mostly gone. I was wrong. Yes, it's dropping, but I suspect that nice weather is going to allow the dealers to continue the process.

Now, I see that Ford is granting rebates because Mustang sales are down. What? Here we have all of these people, money in hand, who REALLY want a Mustang, and Ford is giving us rebates on 6 cylinder models and GTs with automatic transmissions? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit people, why?!? I can't claim PSDS, I can't even place an order at a price I can afford! I'm so ready for a new Mustang, but it just isn't going to happen. Sure, I've thought about buying a GT and modding it to suit, and I've thought about some of the "tuner" offerings out there, but that just isn't my thing. I've said for years that I want to buy the top dog Mustang, special ordered from the factory and keep it until I die. I don't care if Carrol Shelby's name is on the butt of the car or not. I'm happy he's involved, but that doesn't impact my desire for the car one bit. Might be better if he wasn't, then I could maybe get one...

Anyway, my main point here is why the *$#@ do we have to sit here, waiting for a high(er) performance Mustang if Ford is having problems selling the tamer versions? Easy solution! MAKE MORE OF WHAT WE WANT, YOU MORONS!!!! Would it really be so hard? Yes, yes, I know all about the "exclusivity" bit. Fine. Let's revisit 1969: Ford introduces the higher performance Mach 1. Makes as many as people want. Result: FANTASTIC sales. GT sales all but disappear, everyone wants the Mach 1. Bonus: More money for Ford. Do the morons in management not know the history of their own company? I am so frustrated by this I can't seem to quit typing... Ugh.

I really want a Mustang. But if Ford won't build me one, I'll have to look elsewhere. I own 3 Mustangs now, one of them is my first car that I've never parted with. I tend to be very loyal, but this is really testing my limits.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Just had to vent. Hit a couple dealers this weekend and am just disgusted. Even the new Shelby GT I saw had an ADM on it: $53k. Stupid.

Lance, unfortunately I think there are a few things at play here.

First, there's only so much capacity at AAI, but that's the least of the considerations.

The Tremec TR6060 is a constrained item and has been since the start -- maybe that will ease up as TTC ramps production up to accommodate the new Vette and Viper both of which get the TR6060 lter this year... maybe not until later or at all.

However, even if there were no commodity constraints, there's CAFE. The reason you see Ford offering great deals on V6s and auto GTs is to move those cars to meet their overall model CAFE milage averages. In fact, for dealers to get additional share-of-nation GT500 allocation they have to sign up for V6s they don't really want so the GT500s can be produced and stay within the overall CAFE nums.

I don't see these constraints changing anytime soon, unfortunately. Maybe when the H/Boss motor with VVT/VCT, DI and other hi-efficiency tech comes along we might be able to see hi-po rides as larger percentages of the build, but by then there will likely be more stringent CAFE nums to meet too.

I too can't afford one of these beauties -- even at MSRP right now. Tho there's been much debate, I think Ford will keep making the GT500 into MY'09, but who knows.

Good luck in your search -- and keep smilin' ;-)

-Dan

First off, thanks everyone for the support! Gotta love this forum.

Yes, I know all of the points everyone brought up, and valid ones they are, too. But, I'm a hopeless case. I've never in my life bought a new car. I've planned for 20 years now to buy the perfect, brand new, custom ordered Mustang when I had the opportunity. Now we have this beautiful new body style, together with 500 horses. sigh

The only thing that would make it more perfect would be if you could order a targa top... But I digress.

My '98 Cobra has 73,000 miles on it, and is poised to start dropping in value sharper than before. Perfect time to sell it. I would have traded it on an '04 Cobra but my now-wife and I were buying our first house together in late '04. We've got some equity in it now, but not really enough to do a decent home equity loan.

Yes, I've been saving. But... Well... See... I just couldn't let that money sit in the bank when I have these quiet old Mustangs waiting patiently in the garage. Thursday I retrieved from the machine shop my 351W block, machined, prepped and ready, along with almost $5000 worth of goodies to stuff into it: Forged flat top pistons, forged H-Beam rods, high lift retrofit roller cam and lifters, and CNC ported AFR aluminum heads with Isky springs to handle the cam. All with the goal of putting around 450 horsepower into my 3000 pound 1978 Mustang II King Cobra. Go ahead, roll your eyes. But when I'm roaring down the road with my T-Tops out in a blast-from-the-past disco era car that can run side by side with a stock Shelby GT500, I'll have a big grin on my face.

But, that won't take away my desire for the Shelby one bit. It'll just ease the symptoms while I wait for the price to come down, or something else to come along that will fit the part. :D

Sounds to me like you have a good toy car to keep you busy till you can get the Shelby.

I'm 100% in the same boat as you - I recently sold my 04 Cobra and am now getting around in a 99 Civic and 02 Pathfinder.

But I'm not going to pay over MSRP for this car. I think they'll come down, and at least I am not alone.

Stay strong brother, we'll get our cars one day! :happy feet:

However, even if there were no commodity constraints, there's CAFE. The reason you see Ford offering great deals on V6s and auto GTs is to move those cars to meet their overall model CAFE milage averages. In fact, for dealers to get additional share-of-nation GT500 allocation they have to sign up for V6s they don't really want so the GT500s can be produced and stay within the overall CAFE nums.

-Dan

This is an excellent point I had not considered. As usual...you are right on Dan. :stats:

Pulling out HE to finance an ADM? TERRIBLE advice!

The reason you see Ford offering great deals on V6s and auto GTs is to move those cars to meet their overall model CAFE milage averages.

-Dan

Auto GT's get lower average mileage than the manuals so that can't be the reason for the credit on the autos...

Also, how many hand built 5.4 L engines can they crank out at Romeo? Don't forget about CAFE standards.

Don't think it's engine shortage as they have been selling as crate engines to the general public. A buddy of mine is stuffing on in a 89 5.0!

Auto GT's get lower average mileage than the manuals so that can't be the reason for the credit on the autos...

You're right, it's really the V6s... CAFE is a major consideration. If a dealer wants a share-of-nation GT500 allocation they have to sign up for quite a few 'lesser' stangs, especially V6s. They all get better milage than the '500, but there's also plant build and supplier commitments that affect the mix.

-Dan

Pulling out HE to finance an ADM? TERRIBLE advice!

What is so TERRIBLE. Just trying to help a guy out!

I did it, I paid MSRP and waited 6 months for the car and paid off the HE..........whats the problem????????

...........Waiting for your advice???????

What is so TERRIBLE. Just trying to help a guy out!

I did it, I paid MSRP and waited 6 months for the car and paid off the HE..........whats the problem????????

...........Waiting for your advice???????

Taking part of your home equity as a loan is great advice for this car...is it great advice just to buy any old car...absolutely not. The difference here is what has already been stated, value of money, write off etc. AND YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO KEEP THIS CAR FOR A LONG TIME IF YOU'RE LIKE ME. Think of it as a room addition...this car will also hold it's value if you need to sell it. And that doesn't mean selling it tomorrow etc.

Archived