TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 RolexMonterey Motorsport Reunion, Shelby Cobra

HARALD KELLEY

Nor Cal SAAC is handling the corral parking at the track on Sat/Sun as far as I know. I have been getting updates from them and as of now they are selling tickets to club members first, then most likely to others. Any other members can chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I was looking for some type of GTG on Friday, otherwise we will hit the auctions too.

Just a point of clarification needed, will there be a corrall for TSPCR? I read the corrall in the paddock will be by invitation only. If this is true, who does the invite, Ford, SA or SCRAMP? 111 days

TSPCR is working with Norcal SAAC - we have a huge area and expect to be able to accommodate in excess of 300 cars.

There are invitation only races and parade laps for Cobras

Nor Cal SAAC is handling the corral parking at the track on Sat/Sun as far as I know. I have been getting updates from them and as of now they are selling tickets to club members first, then most likely to others. Any other members can chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I was looking for some type of GTG on Friday, otherwise we will hit the auctions too.

Tickets sales are not exclusive to Norcal Saac member only.

Thanks for the information, Michael -- much appreciated! To recap: We'll probably have a cruise / social gathering on Thursday (Aug. 16), and the key Shelby American 50th Anniversary Tour events are taking place on Sat. (Laguna Seca -- Aug. 18) and Sun. (Pebble Beach Concourse -- Aug. 19), with a NorCal SAAC sponsored Corral at Laguna Seca both Sat. & Sun. I'll keep an eye out for the survey on who's attending the cruise / social gathering and I'll contact NorCal SAAC for information about the Corral. Please let me know if you need help with anything.

Don't forget about Friday. The corral VIP parking passes are $75 and good for all three days. You just need to have tickets to the track for each day you attend,The corral will be active Friday also - it is way less crowded than Saturday.

In case anyone's interested - according to the schedule - there will be practice sessions on Thursday August 16th @ 9:15AM to 9:35AM for 1962-67 Cobras and of course all others including Trans -Am @11:55-12:15 for those who like a cheap gate price and are real track whores. :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget about Friday. The corral VIP parking passes are $75 and good for all three days. You just need to have tickets to the track for each day you attend,The corral will be active Friday also - it is way less crowded than Saturday.

Save room for us :hi5: we maybe coming down for this event-

• 1 month later...

Mike. What are the dates of the Mini Nats again? I'm still trying to work it into the schedule.

We are planning to run all three race cars at the Reunion (and two at the Pre-Reunion). The GT 350 and King Cobra are going to be ready to rock. The Cobra will be there, but it's a toss up as to whether or not it will perform well. It hasn't been run hard in over 30 years. So, it will just be cool to have it back on a track after being put away in storage for 30+ years.

Anyone attending who wants to see the cars up close, please stop by the Competition Classics pit area at Monterey!

DV

Mike. What are the dates of the Mini Nats again? I'm still trying to work it into the schedule.

We are planning to run all three race cars at the Reunion (and two at the Pre-Reunion). The GT 350 and King Cobra are going to be ready to rock. The Cobra will be there, but it's a toss up as to whether or not it will perform well. It hasn't been run hard in over 30 years. So, it will just be cool to have it back on a track after being put away in storage for 30+ years.

Anyone attending who wants to see the cars up close, please stop by the Competition Classics pit area at Monterey!

DV

Donn,

August 3-5, see linky below...

http://www.norcal-saac.org/mn/mnmainJune2012.html

Tom

• 1 month later...

Just FYI

Cobra, one of the most recognized and iconic names in the motorsports and automotive worlds, will be the featured marque at next year's Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 17-19, 2012. Today's announcement was made at the closing awards ceremony by Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca who was accompanied by the growl of a Cobra driving on stage.

Created by Carroll Shelby in 1962, the original Shelby Cobra quickly established itself as the dominant American competitor on the international sports car racing scene, narrowly missing the World Sports Car Championship in 1964 and winning the championship in 1965, a remarkable achievement "from scratch" against established European competitors. This success was prompted by a strong partnership between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Company. Shelby chose Ford engines to power his cars that consistently outperformed its competitors.

Next year will be the 39th year of historic racing at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Carroll Shelby was honored in 1997 at the formerly-named Monterey Historic Automobile Races®, and 2012 will be the first time the Shelby Cobra will be featured.

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is an annual tradition that hosts approximately 550 authentic and historic race cars from nearly every decade of motorsports history. The cars are divided into individual groups according to age and engine size, and each one must be period-correct in their presentation.

one week away. Time just flies.

Time does fly! (Totally stoked the Monterey Motorsports Reunion is just around the corner). I look forward to watching the 1962-1967 Shelby Cobra and 1966-1972 Trans-Am groups run on Saturday, in that order ;)

Are there still plans for Team Shelby members to meet for dinner on Thursday (8/16) in Carmel Valley or thereabouts?

I would suggest you get there a little earlier. 4:30- 5:00 ish Parking is a premium and normally that week it is packed with car folks. See you there.

Usually I walk over to the Quail Lodge while they are setting up Thursday evening and see a lot cars cars being placed on the lawn for the weekend event. Nice thing is no cost and you will see some great cars and meet the owners.

Baja Cantina in the Valley Hills Center, adjacent to the Quail Lodge

I appreciate the additional information ... I'll show up between 4:30 & 5:00 PM to beat the rush (have a drink before dinner). Thanks also for the heads-up regarding cars being parked at Quail Lodge -- don't want to miss that!

Here's another couple of worthwhile hours that week:

Hagerty Insurance Sponsored Seminar -- Cobra Racers panel, focusing on the Shelby racing stable from 1963-65, . . . free and open to the public, be sure to RSVP.

Cobra Racers: The Cobra vs. Ferrari rivalry that burned briefly but intensely from 1963-65 was one of racing’s greatest rivalries. Ever since racing at Le Mans in 1959 for Aston Martin, Carroll Shelby wanted to return to the world sports car stage with his own car and upset the status quo. The road to his aspiration drove straight through Maranello — Shelby would have to take on Ferrari to win. Hagerty will present famed Cobra Daytona Coupe designer Peter Brock and his hand-picked panel of some of the greatest surviving personalities from the Shelby racing stable from 1963-65 for an exciting discussion and audience question-and-answer session. Panelists include John Morton, Jerry Grant and Lew Spencer, some of the most well-known surviving Cobra race drivers.

The Marriott Monterey, San Carlos Ballroom

350 Calle Principal

Monterey, CA 93940

831-649-4234

Thursday, Aug. 16, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m.

MORE INFO AND RESERVE at

http://www.hagerty.com/monterey/Updates

Archived