TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 RolexMonterey Motorsport Reunion, Shelby Cobra

HARALD KELLEY

Just FYI

Cobra, one of the most recognized and iconic names in the motorsports and automotive worlds, will be the featured marque at next year’s Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 17-19, 2012. Today’s announcement was made at the closing awards ceremony by Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca who was accompanied by the growl of a Cobra driving on stage.

Created by Carroll Shelby in 1962, the original Shelby Cobra quickly established itself as the dominant American competitor on the international sports car racing scene, narrowly missing the World Sports Car Championship in 1964 and winning the championship in 1965, a remarkable achievement "from scratch" against established European competitors. This success was prompted by a strong partnership between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Company. Shelby chose Ford engines to power his cars that consistently outperformed its competitors.

Next year will be the 39th year of historic racing at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Carroll Shelby was honored in 1997 at the formerly-named Monterey Historic Automobile Races®, and 2012 will be the first time the Shelby Cobra will be featured.

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is an annual tradition that hosts approximately 550 authentic and historic race cars from nearly every decade of motorsports history. The cars are divided into individual groups according to age and engine size, and each one must be period-correct in their presentation.

Sounds grrreat! Maybe we should get a corral together on the grounds. The towns of Seaside and Marina are pretty close to the track. They both should have accomodations. Also lots of rooms in Carmel Valley.

Corral parking is at a premium, so if someone is going to work on this they should start early. Most hotels won't take resorvations until at least 6 months or less from the date (something I have learned over the years), so late Feb start calling.

Sounds grrreat! Maybe we should get a corral together on the grounds. The towns of Seaside and Marina are pretty close to the track. They both should have accomodations. Also lots of rooms in Carmel Valley.

Norcal Shelby club's corral was great this year. We had a strong TS turnout.

We will make sure to have this arranged again for next year.

You da man MM

Thanks Harald. This is a great opportunity for TSPCR to do something special.

If you haven't had the opportunity to experience this week in Monterey, this would be the year. While every year is a car guy's dream - more Ferraris than Hondas on the street - we will really be showing the stripes next year! There is more to do from Tuesday to Sunday than you can attend. Besides the events at Laguna Seca and Pebble Beach, there are at least 5 auctions and numerous cruises and cruise ins.

We are kicking around ideas and would welcome input from you all.

If there is enough early interest, we could start shopping for an event hotel. Housing is not cheap, Marina and Seaside motels get $200 to $250 per night, so let's here from you and we can get an early start.

Michael

Norcal Shelby club's corral was great this year. We had a strong TS turnout.

We will make sure to have this arranged again for next year.

Was not aware of the Shelby corral this year. Keep me in the loop and let me know if I can assist in any way. Also, consider maybe the Thursay before the event for a cruise to Baha Canteen. Need to be there early as car week has lot of folks going to Baha with cars. Quail is next door and you ussually can walk the grounds while they set up for Friday. Done this the last two years.

Thanks again for all you do for the PC region. By the way I want to see the GT 350 :drool:

Was not aware of the Shelby corral this year. Keep me in the loop and let me know if I can assist in any way. Also, consider maybe the Thursay before the event for a cruise to Baha Canteen. Need to be there early as car week has lot of folks going to Baha with cars. Quail is next door and you ussually can walk the grounds while they set up for Friday. Done this the last two years.

Thanks again for all you do for the PC region. By the way I want to see the GT 350 :drool:

We have been parking in it since 1996--sure beats parking waaaaay far away in the parking lot.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Harald. This is a great opportunity for TSPCR to do something special.

If you haven't had the opportunity to experience this week in Monterey, this would be the year. While every year is a car guy's dream - more Ferraris than Hondas on the street - we will really be showing the stripes next year! There is more to do from Tuesday to Sunday than you can attend. Besides the events at Laguna Seca and Pebble Beach, there are at least 5 auctions and numerous cruises and cruise ins.

We are kicking around ideas and would welcome input from you all.

If there is enough early interest, we could start shopping for an event hotel. Housing is not cheap, Marina and Seaside motels get $200 to $250 per night, so let's here from you and we can get an early start.

Michael

Looking at the new annual Shelby Mag, this event seems to be on the tour. Let me know if you would like me to check with our local Marina hotels for pricing that week. I hope costs won't be through the roof as when Shelby was at the quail the entrance fee was 400 and car was by invitation only. This may limit TS members.

I woud suggest a Shelby gathering at Baha Canteen Thursday evening. Would need to get there early. I will assume that the corral will occur at the LS raceway Friday, saturday & Sunday?

Here are the hotes in Marina plus the RV park, non have covered parking:

Ramada Inn 323 Reservation Road

Holiday Inn Express 189 Seaside Circle

Comfort Inn 142 Reservation Road

Quality Inn 3280 Dunes Drive

Sanctuary Beach Resort 3295 Dunes Drive

Marina Dunes Best Western 3290 Dunes Drive

Dunes RV Park 3300 Dunes Drive

• 1 month later...

From the various web forums, I guess it is never too early to make plans for Monterey! My wife is already excited to go (not for the cars, auction, or races - just for the sunshine) and we booked lodging this week. Already some fairly slim pickings, but perhaps more rooms open up in Jan or Feb as stated above.

When this event gets closer, it would be great to hear some tips from the Pebble Beach regulars. I don't plan to stick around til Sunday, but I think there will be plenty of things to see the several days before.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to jump start this topic again ... it's only 113 days until the official start of the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. ;)

I plan on attending one or both events to catch the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Tour, and I was wondering if Team Shelby (i.e., the Pacific Region) is planning something for the occasion. Per previous posts on this topic, there was mention of going to the Baja Cantina on Thursday evening and possibly putting together a Team Shelby Corral at Laguna Seca for the weekend. I live in San Jose and plan on driving my Shelby GT to the various events.

Unfortunately, there are very few details as to what Shelby American is planning in regards to exhibits / events at the aforementioned venues. I've started a dialogue with folks at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance to get more information, since it appears they'll both be co-sharing Shelby-related events (I'll post my findings on this forum).

Cheers,

Martin

P.S. I was fortunate enough to win the "Race Fanatic" contest at Laguna Seca, so I'll be attending the American Le Mans race on May 11-12 as their guest. :)

Hi all,

I just wanted to jump start this topic again ... it's only 113 days until the official start of the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. ;)

I plan on attending one or both events to catch the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Tour, and I was wondering if Team Shelby (i.e., the Pacific Region) is planning something for the occasion. Per previous posts on this topic, there was mention of going to the Baja Cantina on Thursday evening and possibly putting together a Team Shelby Corral at Laguna Seca for the weekend. I live in San Jose and plan on driving my Shelby GT to the various events.

Unfortunately, there are very few details as to what Shelby American is planning in regards to exhibits / events at the aforementioned venues. I've started a dialogue with folks at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance to get more information, since it appears they'll both be co-sharing Shelby-related events (I'll post my findings on this forum).

Cheers,

Martin

P.S. I was fortunate enough to win the "Race Fanatic" contest at Laguna Seca, so I'll be attending the American Le Mans race on May 11-12 as their guest. :)

I also will be attending. Post what you find out as I am confused. Some sites say the event is at Laguna Seca others say it is at Pebble Beach. I do think Pacific Region will be putting some thing together.

Will do ... I was also confused as to which venue Shelby American plans to attend: First it was the Monterey Motorsports Reunion and then it changed to the Pebble Beach Concourse (may eventually need to bump this question to the main Team Shelby forum to get an answer "straight from the horses mouth").

The plans are still being formulated. Ford is coordinating a big part of this event. I can tell you the Shelby will have a presence at both venues, Laguna Seca and Pebble beach.

We will be participating in the corral at Laguna Seca run by Norcal SAAC. This is VIP parking in the infield, with both SAI and Ford having displays. The Norcal package will include parking and race tickets.

The Shelby Cobra is the featured marque for both venues. The feature race on Saturday is for Cobras. Lynn Park is coordinating this and the field is by invitation. Qualifying is on Friday.

For the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday, I would obtain tickets independently and early. This event can sell out.

As we mentioned in previous posts, if you are thinking about attending make housing arrangements now. TSPCR did make an attempt to get a hotel room block, but upfront costs were prohibitive.

Once we get an idea who will be attending, we will put together a cruise in/social gathering for Thursday night. Friday and Saturday nights are big auction nights and we would not want to compete.

Please feel free to email me - pacificcoast@teamshelby.com with questions

Thanks for the information, Michael -- much appreciated!

To recap: We'll probably have a cruise / social gathering on Thursday (Aug. 16), and the key Shelby American 50th Anniversary Tour events are taking place on Sat. (Laguna Seca -- Aug. 18) and Sun. (Pebble Beach Concourse -- Aug. 19), with a NorCal SAAC sponsored Corral at Laguna Seca both Sat. & Sun.

I'll keep an eye out for the survey on who's attending the cruise / social gathering and I'll contact NorCal SAAC for information about the Corral. Please let me know if you need help with anything.

The plans are still being formulated. Ford is coordinating a big part of this event. I can tell you the Shelby will have a presence at both venues, Laguna Seca and Pebble beach.

We will be participating in the corral at Laguna Seca run by Norcal SAAC. This is VIP parking in the infield, with both SAI and Ford having displays. The Norcal package will include parking and race tickets.

The Shelby Cobra is the featured marque for both venues. The feature race on Saturday is for Cobras. Lynn Park is coordinating this and the field is by invitation. Qualifying is on Friday.

For the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday, I would obtain tickets independently and early. This event can sell out.

As we mentioned in previous posts, if you are thinking about attending make housing arrangements now. TSPCR did make an attempt to get a hotel room block, but upfront costs were prohibitive.

Once we get an idea who will be attending, we will put together a cruise in/social gathering for Thursday night. Friday and Saturday nights are big auction nights and we would not want to compete.

Please feel free to email me - pacificcoast@teamshelby.com with questions

Michael, any leg work that you need down here in Monterey, let me know be glad to help.

First time I went there I arrived at noon on Wednesday: the track was hot (cars on course!) and the gates were open. Plenty of folks came to the "Pre-Historics" sort of a weekend warmup on the Sat/Sun before the regular Historics, and many just stayed over. You could drive in and park in the paddock on Wednesday and Thursday, but it got crowded and more secure on Friday. Since the paddock is open (was open; I don't know about now) to the public, all weekend, it really gets crowded on Saturday and Sunday, so if you are there to take pictures of the gems, W-Th-Fri are better.

The whole scene is a Do-Not-Miss experience, and with the Shelby tie-in this year, is even more of a must.

On one morning, Saturday I think, I was in a line waiting to enter the grounds, when I looked in the mirror and saw a T-57 Bugatti in line behind me. Joyful moments like that abound. Even had a fly-around by a Ford Tri-motor. The stuff of dreams.

Archived