TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Off to first Friday night drags with the GT500

stuper01

13.26 was the best i could get.... :(

never thought GETTING traction would be a problem.....

seems if i could get some tire spin, i could cut the time..... when I got traction it would run 13.65.

with traction the car fell hard on its face off the line.....

dissapointing evening...

with traction the car fell hard on its face off the line.....

What RPM were you launching at and what mode did you have Traction Control on/off?

I get the "fall on its face" if I launch too low.

But then I get tire spin if I launch too high.

I think the whole secret of launching one of these cars is clutch slippage at a lower RPM than we all want to try.

Then let the Torque from the SC pull you hard through the run to get your ET.

Unfortunately....*I* haven't hit that perfect combo yet!

Phill

What kind of 60-foot time did you run? How was your trap speed? Weather conditions/density altitude could account for some too. How much experience do you have?

Years ago, I had a 1989 5.0 LX that I use to run just for grins. No heavy mods and mostly stock at a local 1/8-mile track, but under similar weather conditions I was able to whittle my track times down half a second through just learning how to drive. Unless your trap speeds were down in the 90's (hopefully I'm being fictitious), you should improve with practice.

Good luck and have fun. Enjoy your ride. :shift:

trap speed was 106 - 107....

60' times were 2.25-2.30.... as low as 2.06....

first time out.... was having a hard time dumping the clutch at 5000rpm.... especially with the grip of the MT drag radials...

thats alot of punishment on a stock car...

trap speed was 106 - 107....

60' times were 2.25-2.30.... as low as 2.06....

first time out.... was having a hard time dumping the clutch at 5000rpm.... especially with the grip of the MT drag radials...

thats alot of punishment on a stock car...

With 3.73's and MT DR's I launch at appx 2k and get 1.80's 60' ---I do have a 10% lower pulley which does give a lot of lower torq -- at 2500 it start to really burn the tires and at 1500 it blogs ---I normally run in low 11's and if I launched at 5K -WOULD BE LUCKY TO GET IN THE 13's

Launch at 5k and be ready to break stuff if you do get traction (not with street tires obviously). It's all about traction for launches and the 1-2 shift, practice, practice and don't be like Alen Iverson - adjust (rpm, pedal management, mods), until you find the sweet spot. Dumping the clutch at 5k with street tires, pushing 550+hp/tq and you'll lose to a honda with 150hp and melt your tires in the process. These cars aren't meant to be driven fast easily, without a lot practice and adjustment. That's why I love these beasts. AWD, Paddle shifters, Auto, Launch control type cars etc. are easy to drive fast consistently, and your 16 year old daughter can read a book while hitting the loud pedal and be as fast as you = lame unless your a professional or consistently running for $$$.

It's a fine line between spin and bog with these cars and sticky tires, and the on/off stock clutch is hard to finesse. With 3.73's and Toyo DR's (more a street oriented tire than track, similar to the 555R) last outing I was slipping the clutch at 2500rpm (new RXT is a LOT easier to manage than the stocker was) and getting consistent 1.7x sixties with a best of 1.72. Just play with that launch rpm in the 2-3000rpm range and try not to just dump the clutch but ride it out some until the nose starts to drop again after the initial hit off the line.

Archived