TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions wanted S/C upgrade

rducote

I would really value some opinions on the subject. I have finally decided to upgrade my supercharger on my 2009 Shelby GT500. I keep going back and forth between a Whipple 2.9L and VMP's TVS. I already purchased a L&M 72mm throttle body, and will order JLT's 127mm carbon intake. My headers and midpipe are stock, bassani axle back. I know the VMP has the inlet elbow included and the 2.59 pulley while the Whipple is a 2.9L versus VMP's 2.3L. It seems to me the VMP's air intake temp would be higher than the Whipple due to the VMP spinning the rotors faster. I think the Whipple comes with a 3.5 pulley. I understand it's not necessary to upgrade the injectors with either setup. I expecting around 625-650 RWHP with the VMP and not real sure what to expect with the Whipple. All advice appreciated.

Thanks

I love my vmp TVS... With stock tb and Frrp cai I am at 676rwhp and 666 torque..( and that was dyno in 100 degree temps) The power is consistent throughout and the torque insane.. I can't say much about the whipple as I have no experience with it.. But Highly recommend the vmp TVS without hesitation

I love my vmp TVS... With stock tb and Frrp cai I am at 676rwhp and 666 torque..( and that was dyno in 100 degree temps) The power is consistent throughout and the torque insane.. I can't say much about the whipple as I have no experience with it.. But Highly recommend the vmp TVS without hesitation

+1000 for VMP.

676 RWHP is impressive.

I have to get my girl on a dyno. I have to be somewhere in the 650 - 675 RWHP range.

more HP is always great, however, traction & suspension should be a higher priority.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Many thanks to Alex, aka, vapor08GT500

See pics of my girl here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57401-dbackgs-super-snake-vert-upgrades/

Where does the KB 2.8 rate within this discussion. I've been talking about going with the TVS for quite some time now but have a couple of friends who are trying to push me to abandon the OEM look and go with the KB which should fit in my car without any signficant hood modifications required.

The shop I will be using for the install and tune recommended KB over the others, but I can buy me a throttle body, CAI, VMP or Whipple and still be way under the price of a KB S/C kit.

Contact Van @RevanRacing.He will take care of all your needs.

I understand it's not necessary to upgrade the injectors with either setup. I expecting around 625-650 RWHP with the VMP and not real sure what to expect with the Whipple. All advice appreciated.

If i remember correctly, you will want/need to upgrade your fuel system with either bigger injectors or a boost a pump if you put that bigger throttle body on there. I have the VMP TVS and love it. I've got the JLT 127mm intake and an L&M 72mm throttle body getting ready to go in and I'm going to put 72# injectors in at the same time.

2nd2none, I think your right, I seem to remember reading somewhere that with the bigger T/B you will need to upgrade injectors. After hearing from yall, Im leaning toward the VMP S/C. I would love to hear from a couple whipple owners to get their input. Im sure whichever way I decide to go, I will not be disappointed.

Well I purchased a Whipple 2.9L from a member of this site. So tomorrow I will try to find me a JLT 127mm CAI to go along with my L&M 72 mm T/B, and verify if I have to upgrade the injectors. It may be a little while before it all gets installed, but I will post the results.

if you're gonna get the 127mm JLT intake you should might wanna order it soon as they're usually backordered a few weeks. The plastic version is 123mm but is supposedly flowing the same as the 127mm carbon fiber due to smoother finish on the inside and he has these in stock. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Whipple. I was on the fence trying to pick one but decided to go with the VMP TVS as it was cheaper and got me to the same power levels I was looking for. The main reason I would've went Whipple is the bling factor as I would've went with the polished version =)

IMO, one of the big benefits to my TVS is the TQ, the HP is nearly square with the TQ. The high efficiency roots style TVS blower brings the boost on fast and hard.

My blower comes with a 2.500" pulley (not 2.59" as noted above). Though I am getting ready to release an interchangeable pulley system for my TVS with the option of 2.5 (17psi), 2.75(15psi), and 3in(12psi) pulleys for the guys with OD lowers or road racers that don't want a bunch of boost.

Additionally, the TVS fits like an OEM blower in regards to vacuum line locations, bolt access, firewall clearance, and hood clearance. Most people can swap the blower in 2-3hrs if they are double checking everything, it takes me less than an hour with air tools. There are no difficult to access bolts and all PCV and vacuum line connections are OEM style.

I love my vmp TVS... With stock tb and Frrp cai I am at 676rwhp and 666 torque..( and that was dyno in 100 degree temps) The power is consistent throughout and the torque insane..

Is this accurate. I have a bone stock 2009 GT500. I have a JLT CAI on the shop floor ready to install. If I buy the VMP setup and throw on my CAI will I really have over 600 rwhp?

The Whipple came in, I have the L&M 72mm T/B ready, waiting on my JLT 127 Carbon Fiber CAI. By the way I found it for $382. with free shipping. Thought that was a really good price. After thumbing thru the installation instructions, I'm not so sure if I will attempt to install or get a local shop to do it? Shop wants $1000. to install and $500. to dyno/tune. I didn't think the installation was going to be that expensive. Oh well, you gotta pay to play I guess.

So here is the plan, the JLT127mm CAI should be in today, I ordered a Roush extreme cat-back exhaust kit, should be in Friday. I just ordered the oil seperators from JLT. I will bring my car to a shop in Houston on Saturday for install and tune. It will take a couple days for complete install (whipple 2.9,l&m 72mm tb, JLT cai and exhaust)and dyno/tune. I don't think my oil seperators will be in on time so I will install those after I get my car back. I plan on a real conservative tune, and will post results soon after.

Picked my car up on wednesday. First impressions, poped the hood and checked out the install, looked good with the bigger S/C and JLT CAI, next cranked it up, sounded good with the roush extreme exhaust. Not as deep a growl as the bassani axle back I upgraded from, but a little louder at start up. The mechanic backed it out of his shop and I jumped in the passenger side to go for a spin, once we got to a open stretch of road it was time for him to show me what I was paying for. Wow, being pinned back in my seat like that was something I hadn't experienced before, that extra power was immediately noticeable. Once I got him to realize, I was impressed, he could quit scaring the crap out of me, I then realized how quiet it was inside the car(windows up, AC on). So the drone problem was definitely solved with the Roush extreme cat-back exhaust kit. After driving around town the next day, I noticed what someone else had posted, that people now start looking as I'm coming up the road, it's definitely louder and meaner sounding. Yes, I think I will highly enjoy this new exhaust and new found power. As fun as it was to drive before, the fun factor just doubled. Results: 693rwhp. Having trouble posting dyno sheet. I will post it when I figure it out.

Picked my car up on wednesday. First impressions, poped the hood and checked out the install, looked good with the bigger S/C and JLT CAI, next cranked it up, sounded good with the roush extreme exhaust. Not as deep a growl as the bassani axle back I upgraded from, but a little louder at start up. The mechanic backed it out of his shop and I jumped in the passenger side to go for a spin, once we got to a open stretch of road it was time for him to show me what I was paying for. Wow, being pinned back in my seat like that was something I hadn't experienced before, that extra power was immediately noticeable. Once I got him to realize, I was impressed, he could quit scaring the crap out of me, I then realized how quiet it was inside the car(windows up, AC on). So the drone problem was definitely solved with the Roush extreme cat-back exhaust kit. After driving around town the next day, I noticed what someone else had posted, that people now start looking as I'm coming up the road, it's definitely louder and meaner sounding. Yes, I think I will highly enjoy this new exhaust and new found power. As fun as it was to drive before, the fun factor just doubled. Results: 693rwhp. Having trouble posting dyno sheet. I will post it when I figure it out.

post-32310-0-92187600-1317393687_thumb.jpg

post-32310-0-92187600-1317393687_thumb.jpg

Archived