TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When do you get boost pressure

snakebit07

Hi guys My alloy vert was deliverd jan 19 07 and is in my garage with 3.5 kms .I have three other buddies with gt 500's One has 150 kms's on it and another who put 80kms on his car on friday both say they still have no boost pressure on the gage can anyone help with the best breakin procedure and when we can expect to see boost pressure thank Don

:hysterical2:

Hi guys My alloy vert was deliverd jan 19 07 and is in my garage with 3.5 kms .I have three other buddies with gt 500's One has 150 kms's on it and another who put 80kms on his car on friday both say they still have no boost pressure on the gage can anyone help with the best breakin procedure and when we can expect to see boost pressure thank Don

I think the problem is due to the fact you have a Metric car. All metric cars have their boost limited to .0001PSI due to the fact someone in France may purchase one. :banana piano: :hysterical2:

Just kidding.

Thanks when you here it does it show boost pressure on the gage?

I suspect that they're just pussy footing around. If you drive it sedately, you will see no boost. You have to put your foot in it.

:hysterical2:

I think the problem is due to the fact you have a Metric car. All metric cars have their boost limited to .0001PSI due to the fact someone in France may purchase one. :banana piano: :hysterical2:

Just kidding.

Bad Horsy :beatdeadhorse: post-6385-1174899181_thumb.jpg

post-6385-1174899181_thumb.jpg

Boost will only occur under hard throttle, HOWEVER if the needle drops under boost then you more than likely have an early production air filter that needs to be replaced under a TSB that Ford has out for the problem. Your boost indicator should remain in boost range until you throttle off. The pleats on early production air filters have a tendancy to collapse in on themselves under boost which essentally chokes off air going into the SC.

Hi all,

Where is the boost gage located and how many miles or km is the brreaking period.

Thanks,

Alexandros

Location is between the Tach and Speedo. Break in - meaning engine is supposed to be nothing. I don't know that I buy it but try as I might I find myself driving how I feel not worrying about it and just turned over 1K miles with no issues. If you mean when does the SC kick in mine became active at 15.9 miles...or that's when I noticed the gauge jump. I bought it with 7.9 miles on it. Most are about that range give or take 10 miles.

Location is between the Tach and Speedo. Break in - meaning engine is supposed to be nothing. I don't know that I buy it but try as I might I find myself driving how I feel not worrying about it and just turned over 1K miles with no issues. If you mean when does the SC kick in mine became active at 15.9 miles...or that's when I noticed the gauge jump. I bought it with 7.9 miles on it. Most are about that range give or take 10 miles.

I kept my Terminator below 3000RPM's for the first thousand miles.

Longest 1500 miles of my life. :hysterical2:

In all seriousness, that's what I have heard for 'breaking in an engine' properly. Oil change at 500, 1000, then 1500, then 3000 - keep it below 3000rpms for first 1000 miles, and don't just keep it at highway speeds, mostly city driving.

Hi all,

Where is the boost gage located and how many miles or km is the brreaking period.

Thanks,

Alexandros

Not sure what you mean on breaking period...hopefully it never breaks.

Perhaps you mean break-in period? If so, read the owners manual.

Perhaps you mean when should my boost start working? If so, then basically it's after you drive it 5 CONSECUTIVE miles.

Good luck.

Dave

Not sure what you mean on breaking period...hopefully it never breaks.

Perhaps you mean break-in period? If so, read the owners manual.

Perhaps you mean when should my boost start working? If so, then basically it's after you drive it 5 CONSECUTIVE miles.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Why doesn't the boost work right away. Sorry be patient cause i am new at this sort of engine driving. What do you mean to drive it consecutively for 5 miles and then the boost will work.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Why doesn't the boost work right away. Sorry be patient cause i am new at this sort of engine driving. What do you mean to drive it consecutively for 5 miles and then the boost will work.

Thanks,

Alex

Ford built in this feature to avoid those people who transport the cars from "hot rodding" them. Be aware that before you get your vehicle, a host of people have driven it...inside the factory, from the main plant to the striping plant, on and off of rail cars, on the car hauler, etc. Ford built in some software that does not allow boost until the car is driven 5 consecutive miles.

If you get your car with 4.9 miles on it, get in and drive until it has 9.8 miles and shut it off, then start it up and drive 4.9 more miles, and continue doing this, then you won't have boost. Once you drive the 5 in a row, you will have boost forever more.

Actually, I believe there's a secondary feature whereby you'd get boost after 50 "on-off" keystarts also....not sure about the details of that since most people get boost after driving 5 consecutive miles. Be aware that when you hit this "5 consecutive miles", you may not notice that you have boost. If you're on the highway at a steady speed, you won't notice any difference. You must put your foot down hard to get the boost.

Hope this helps.

Dave

These posts "crack" me up. Really gives new meaning to discussion "thread." I do wonder if she has a high lift camshaft, or is she is more of a stroker????

Not too sure if she prefers a high lift or a stroker, but I know whenever I get a wicked weggie that bad I end up having to throw my skivies away. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Drive around for a whille, warm up the engine. Get out on a highway, get her up to about 50 or 60 kph drop the tranny to 3rd and stomp on the gas.

At this point you may be wondering "What in the world?" :huh: (hit clutch/release gas, 4th gear, release clutch/hit gas) as you pass into the blower anomaly known to Star Trek/Scifi fans as the "worm hole" (hit clutch/release gas, 5th gear, release clutch/hit gas) You will see, if your mind is fast enough that time, outside of your Shelby, will begin to slow down as at the same moment, your movements speed up as you fight to keep your engines tachometer below 6000 (hit clutch/release gas, 6th gear, release clutch/hit gas) your knuckles turn white as you notice the speedometer for the first time, 210 kph and still climbing!

And all the while, like a siren calling to you, an almost melodious "Wwaaaaaahhhhh!!!!" of the supercharger.

And that, dear friends, is the sweetest sound. Thank you, Carroll Shelby. :bowdown:

Helpful? :poke::hysterical:

DLW

Drive around for a whille, warm up the engine. Get out on a highway, get her up to about 50 or 60 kph drop the tranny to 3rd and stomp on the gas.

At this point you may be wondering "What in the world?" :huh: (hit clutch/release gas, 4th gear, release clutch/hit gas) as you pass into the blower anomaly known to Star Trek/Scifi fans as the "worm hole" (hit clutch/release gas, 5th gear, release clutch/hit gas) You will see, if your mind is fast enough that time, outside of your Shelby, will begin to slow down as at the same moment, your movements speed up as you fight to keep your engines tachometer below 6000 (hit clutch/release gas, 6th gear, release clutch/hit gas) your knuckles turn white as you notice the speedometer for the first time, 210 kph and still climbing!

And all the while, like a siren calling to you, an almost melodious "Wwaaaaaahhhhh!!!!" of the supercharger.

And that, dear friends, is the sweetest sound. Thank you, Carroll Shelby. :bowdown:

Helpful? :poke::hysterical:

DLW

Sweet analogy. And I second the thank you to Carroll Shelby.

HSURB

• 2 months later...
Boost will only occur under hard throttle, HOWEVER if the needle drops under boost then you more than likely have an early production air filter that needs to be replaced under a TSB that Ford has out for the problem. Your boost indicator should remain in boost range until you throttle off. The pleats on early production air filters have a tendancy to collapse in on themselves under boost which essentally chokes off air going into the SC.

I have over 8500 miles and it just starting to show no boost. My car is a preproduction, however I don't have a stock air filter I have the JLT CAI system. What's the problem now?

Joe

How far are you pushing down the gas? It needs to be almost on the floor to get boost.

I have found the easiest way to test the boost is entering the freeway. Find a nice onramp on a non crowded freeway, approach it slow in second or so... then punch it and shift up to third. Keep that foot to the floor. While you are busy taking off like a bat out hell, look at your boost gauge. It should read around 8-9.

You must be over 3000 rpm and have the gas peddle down at least 75% or so.

Mine is stock and works just fine.

My boost gauge wouldn't work even though I had 34 miles on the car when I was instructed to take the car on the highway or freeway and get it up to 60 miles per hour in fourth gear and then just floor the gas pedal while still in fourth gear. The boost guage reacted almost immediately. However, get ready for a slight acceleration problem. :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

How far are you pushing down the gas? It needs to be almost on the floor to get boost.

I know how the boost works. It work well up until I came back on a 1,850 mile round trip. I put the JLT kit on my car at 2,893 miles and it work fine until I came back on my return trip of 929 miles then I notice it.

Archived