TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011-2012 GT500 with SVTPP

bad93

I currently own a 2009 GT500. I am thinking about trading it on a 2012 GT500 with the SVTPP. Is there anyone out there who has done this? What are the pros and cons? Any regrets?

I traded my 07 for a '12 and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in the two. The main thing to consider is whether to get a '12 or wait for the '13. There are a few debates raging on that question here on this site already. I say do it!

I traded my 07 for a '12 and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in the two. The main thing to consider is whether to get a '12 or wait for the '13. There are a few debates raging on that question here on this site already. I say do it!

Agreed.

I drove a friend of mines 11 when they first came out and I was like wow what a totally different car. Now I love the looks of the 07-09 but man the 2011-2012 is such a well built car and it felt strong out of the box I was like man I gotta get one. I sold my 08 and got a 12 and really really looking forward to coming home from deployment to enjoy this car. I will be getting a TVS for it with a tune and basically will have the same power as a 13.

Either 2012 or 2013 will be great. I have a 2011 and love it.

Depends on what is most important to you. Ultimate performance vs Warranty/Cost.

Better performance output - 2012 with added TVS and performance tune from Jon Lund or Justin. I believe you can get 700-750 to the flywheel for an apples to apples comparison to the 650 number being thrown around for the 2013.

Good performance with 2013 TVS with more conservative tune from Ford. This would come with a warranty and likely cost less than adding the TVS as an add on to the 2012.

Cost equation could change when final specs on 2013 are released which could pressure on 2012 values making them even more affordable later in the year.

Take it for what its worth...as I am a novice to this stuff...probably not much.

I traded in a '10 for my '11 - no regrets whatsoever.

I wasn't much interested in the '07-'09. Never been much of a Ford guy, and I figured my '05 GTO could take a stock GT500 w/ a $3K aftermarket turbo.

But I saw the reviews on the '10 - 550 factory HP (when had THAT ever been so affordable?), easier clutch action (I've got a mangled left leg, and can't drive a stick worth a darn), decent gas mileage, improved handling, braking - and I got one. Kona blue/white stripes. And it was a great car.

And then Ford PO'ed me by improving the '11 with still more power, better handling, braking, fuel economy, quieter passenger compartment.

And the '11 is indeed a tremendous car - the SVTPP equipped car is noticably better than the '10, and now that I've added the Ford Racing Super Pak, it's insane when I want it to be. And gets even better fuel economy when I don't.

so, I've never had an '09, but this is an icnredible car and performance bargain; if they're serious about raising CAFE over the next few years, get your horsepower while you still can!

:rockon:

This 2012 is just unreal. I can only speak from a first time owners view. I traded in a 2010 Camaro SS and there is no comparision between the two. So in love with the Shelby. Just an absolute joy to drive. You guys are right, can't figure why the Camaro is out selling the Mustangs. Thanks for such a warm welcome to the TS site. :happy feet:

This 2012 is just unreal. I can only speak from a first time owners view. I traded in a 2010 Camaro SS and there is no comparision between the two. So in love with the Shelby. Just an absolute joy to drive. You guys are right, can't figure why the Camaro is out selling the Mustangs. Thanks for such a warm welcome to the TS site. :happy feet:

Welcome.

Were you ever a member of a 5th gen camaro forum? You should let them know how much you enjoy your 2012 GT500. :)

I traded my 2009 in on my 2011 SVTPP. Two different cars in my opinion. Once you get over the a$, you'll love the SVTPP.

+1

I traded an '09 in Feb, and never looked back. The susp with the SVTPP is firmer which makes the ride quality a little harsher, but not a prob for me. The electronics pkg/NAV is a serious plus for me. As for the rear end, it didn't take me long to figure out that "you can't see it from the driver's seat"! :peelout:

• 2 months later...

Actually I traded my 09' shelby today for a 2012 shelby with the svtpp and electronics package.

And i would say there is a big difference in the two. pros- SMOOTHER shifting,a little more power,

more toys to play with, handling, exhaust sound, better seats<cambero seats>,interior sound is quieter.

cons- MORE money,body style i think is better on09',i guess that's it for the cons haha.

althought i just got it today i could tell ther is a big difference between the two already,

hope that helps, DO IT!

The svtpp sits lower by .4 inches front and .3 in the rear.

Imho, the PP is I terrific all around car. It does well at the track and very well on the street. The ride is firm, the body motions are well controlled, but it's not harsh. My dad and I traded cars for a couple of days (he owns a surprisingly capable Infiniti M35 Sport) and I have to say the GT500 rides just slightly firmer than the Infiniti.

I likely won't ever get a chance to upgrade my '11 to the '13 due to what I predict will be a good $20k+ price difference, so I'll just continue to mod it what I've got.

If you're leaning toward a 2012, now is the time to buy.....check out:

www.gt500forsale.com

Have seen 2012's, SVTPP, Recaros, listed for $ 51,700.........................however,

The 2013 GT500, from what I've read, looks to be everything you could ask for in a car + then some. If funding isn't an issue, I would wait for the 2013 model.

If you're leaning toward a 2012, now is the time to buy.....check out:

www.gt500forsale.com

Have seen 2012's, SVTPP, Recaros, listed for $ 51,700.........................however,

The 2013 GT500, from what I've read, looks to be everything you could ask for in a car + then some. If funding isn't an issue, I would wait for the 2013 model.

That's about what I paid for my 2012, maybe a little less. It stickered at $55,700 and came with SVTPP and Recaro's. A few days have gone by now since the 2013 was announced and I have gotten over the shock. I am now seeing things a little more realistically and although the 2013 will be a great car I don't HAVE to have it. Way too many other things in my life now that need to take priority. At least that's what I am trying to convince myself of ;-). There's that little voice in the back of my head saying " you could still buy a 2013 and have it paid off well before you retire". Goddammit Ford!

Colin

• 1 month later...

I also went from a 2009 GT500 to a 2012 with the SVTPP and gotta say it feels like a totally different car. The handling is a TON better and interior is much nicer to say the least. Power wise I can't really compare because I had the Kenne Bell 2.8 on my 2009 and was pushing 700 rwhp.... All in all the 2011-2012 is a BADASS upgrade and I'm glad I got it. Its good enough that I'm not even looking at upgrading to the 2013..... I'll stick with the tried and true 5.4 and do some upgrades to WAY surpass the 2013.... Good luck looking and pick out what you like best.

Archived