TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front end vibration

10SHELBY

Ok, well I replaced my OEM wheels and tires with the Super Snake wheels from Shelby and Nitto Invos. I had a little problem with vibration and I had the wheels all checked and one was out of round. I had that wheel replaced and thought it would correct it. It did not correct the front end vibration. I had all four wheels rebalanced and it did not help. I had the two front done again and they are 0,0. The vibration is till there. The car has been lowered and the alignment checked and corrected after it was lowered. I am lost. I am running about 40 psi in the front tires. The vibration comes in about 55 - 65 mph.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer. I don't drive it much but in 2 weeks I need to put about 300 miles on it and I hate driving it like this.

Rudy

city.JPG

Did you remove the "keepers" on your wheel lugs? They are small pieces of black metal that attach tour wheel lugs to keep the rotor's in place when they build the car.

No I did not have a problem with my OEM wheels and vibration. Do you think that will help?

Rudy

I don't know if this is your problem or not but you are def. Running to much air pressure, Try getting rid of at least 5-8 psi...may just solve your problem. Another thing keep in mind that the compound on these tires are very soft and they do flat spot overnight. Make sure you get them good and warmed up, 5-10 mins of driving. If none of that works try a Road Force Balance on a Hunter machine....GL..

I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer. I don't drive it much but in 2 weeks I need to put about 300 miles on it and I hate driving it like this.

I think I've heard that the 20" Alcoa "Super Snake" wheels DO fit flat on your rotor face so try removing the factory keepers, just for shits and giggles.

And someone else also warned you about your pressure. That's WAY too high. I don't think it's the cause of your vibration but it's way too high. You'll wear the centers out of those tires in short time at that pressure.

By some slim chance, did whoever put your car on a rack ding/dent your driveshaft with the rack??? Do you feel the vibration in the stearing wheel or just in the front end of the car? Only when braking or always (at the same speed)???

EDIT: Move your wheels from front to back (per side) and see if the problem moves with the wheels. It won't hurt the tires/wheels if you keep them on their respective sides and they DO fit when you put the rears on the front. If the problem moves with the wheels, try moving one side back to OE and see if the problem moves with a particular side. If it doesn't move with the wheels, start looking for something loose in the front stearing system then the front suspension system.

Now, not to hi-jack your thread but I notice you have a 2010+ model car with a aftermarket gas filler cap on it. Any chance you can post a close-up pic of it? And where did you get it from? Is is still retain the capless filler feature?

I've never seen a AM cap on a 2010+ car and in fact, did not know they were available.

TIA,

Phill

I think I've heard that the 20" Alcoa "Super Snake" wheels DO fit flat on your rotor face so try removing the factory keepers, just for shits and giggles.

And someone else also warned you about your pressure. That's WAY too high. I don't think it's the cause of your vibration but it's way too high. You'll wear the centers out of those tires in short time at that pressure.

By some slim chance, did whoever put your car on a rack ding/dent your driveshaft with the rack??? Do you feel the vibration in the stearing wheel or just in the front end of the car? Only when braking or always (at the same speed)???

EDIT: Move your wheels from front to back (per side) and see if the problem moves with the wheels. It won't hurt the tires/wheels if you keep them on their respective sides and they DO fit when you put the rears on the front. If the problem moves with the wheels, try moving one side back to OE and see if the problem moves with a particular side. If it doesn't move with the wheels, start looking for something loose in the front stearing system then the front suspension system.

Now, not to hi-jack your thread but I notice you have a 2010+ model car with a aftermarket gas filler cap on it. Any chance you can post a close-up pic of it? And where did you get it from? Is is still retain the capless filler feature?

I've never seen a AM cap on a 2010+ car and in fact, did not know they were available.

TIA,

Phill

Thanks to all for the advise. I will remove the keepers and lower the air some. The vibration is in the wheel and at about the same speed and there has been no drive shaft problem. My wheels are stagered so I can not swap them front to back.

The gas door is a Silver Horse Racing item and you will retain everything. It is a pain to install but worth it. I will get a closer photo. SHR Fuel Door

Rudy

My wheels are stagered so I can not swap them front to back.

I'm pretty sure you can.

Robert M. has a Super Snake and he's running a set of 10" SS wheels/tires up front, and he has the Baer brakes too.

I wouldn't run like that for long becase you're putting narrower tires on the back and you're already traction limited, but as far as pure FIT...I'm pretty sure you can (almost positive).

Phill

Did you remove the "keepers" on your wheel lugs? They are small pieces of black metal that attach tour wheel lugs to keep the rotor's in place when they build the car.

WOW, I really questioned if that could be the answer however BINGO. I did it yesterday before Irene stopped by and took it out for a test drive. I was blown away. It changed things 100%. Thanks to BAD SNAKE and all that had suggestions. The keepers was the answer. BTW Irene has arrived here in Tidewater VA and she is kickin'.

Thanks again,

Rudy

WOW, I really questioned if that could be the answer however BINGO. I did it yesterday before Irene stopped by and took it out for a test drive. I was blown away. It changed things 100%. Thanks to BAD SNAKE and all that had suggestions. The keepers was the answer. BTW Irene has arrived here in Tidewater VA and she is kickin'.

Thanks again,

Rudy

Sweet! I'm glad it worked out! Stay safe.

Archived