TEAM SHELBY FORUM

insurance

SeanJenkins

im new to this site and to shelbys and planning on getting one when i get back from afghan. im just wondering how much everyone is paying for insurance? ill be 25 in nov so it should go down some. im looking at getting a 2010-12. ive been trying to do as much research as i can to find out what the differences are.

Hi Sean. First, thank you for your service to our great country. Thank you so much. It means alot.

Second, I pay about $80/month on a 2012 GT500 with full coverage but also with multiple vehciles and various discounts on the policy. Your mileage may vary with your quotes but look at quotes with $500 and $1000 deductibles on Collision.

Get a quote from Geico, State Farm, and others.

Good luck with the vehicle. When you are ready, stay in touch on this forum and we'll help you out with any questions or advice.....there's plenty of advice and answers from the folks on this forum. (lots of opinions too!) :)

Sean,

First... Thank you for your service to our country! salute.gif

Second... Welcome to Team Shelby! You came to the right place. Lots of knowledgeable people here - ready, willing and able to help you make some decisions. Just ask for an opinion, you'll get many good ones!

Myself, I'm with USAA. As a service member, you're eligible too! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAA

They are one of the highest rated insurance companies on the planet, bar none. They only provide services to US Military members and their families. I think you'll find them very competitive. Give them a call and get a quote!

Take care and come home safely! Hope to see you at a Team Shelby event...

My thanks as well for your service to our country! My son is a Coastie and has his insurance through USAA and finds them terrific.....of course, he doesn't have a GT 500, but he was/is insuring a Ford Edge, Sportrac and a 1973 Jensen Healey........I'd give them a shout first, then shop around. Mine is insured through Farm Bureau and I get very good rates (of course, I'm 55 and have 3 other vehicles insured as well as my house).

Again, thanks for your service and good luck!

thanks for the replies and ive looked at usaa and they were always more expensive for me. i have state farm now and they quoted me 150 a month on top of what i pay already. i will have my truck and a motorcycle insured too so the multi car discount will be nice. maybe ill talk to them agian when i turn 25 and see how much it should drop.

im hoping i can make it to some events. im expecting to get orders soon since i just re upd and ive been at my current base for 5yrs

thanks for the replies and ive looked at usaa and they were always more expensive for me. i have state farm now and they quoted me 150 a month on top of what i pay already. i will have my truck and a motorcycle insured too so the multi car discount will be nice. maybe ill talk to them agian when i turn 25 and see how much it should drop.

im hoping i can make it to some events. im expecting to get orders soon since i just re upd and ive been at my current base for 5yrs

Where's home in the states?

Be safe...

:salute:

Sean, best of luck on your tour, and God speed getting you home!

Can't speak for how much the insurance will cost, but I've gotta advocate for USAA. I've been with them for 18+ yrs and they've always been competitive on pricing, especially with multiple vehicles. They dont do motorcycle ins, but they sub that out to progressive (I use Geico, for my bike), but with truck you'd still qualify.

Homeowners/renters through them is also a great deal, will get additional discounts, but just the service you'll get through them will hands down beat anything else out there.

As a serviceman myself, the main reason that I'm so big on USAA is that when you deploy, they'll work with (or your family) on payments, etc. And, if you bank with them or use credit cards through them, they cut discounts for your deployed time.

I sound like an ad, but I'm just really big on the company!

Whatever you choose, best of luck with it and with the new Shelby, stay safe and check six!

im from DC area but im stationed in FL on the panhandle. i love it there minus all the tourist we get in the summer wanting to go to the beach. those small road were not meant for that much traffic.

trust me i hear nothing but good things about usaa from everyone i talk too but they just havent worked out for me yet maybe if i started banking with them to would probly help.

Sean,

Thanks for your service to our Country. Be safe out there so you can join us back at home in one of these awesome cars!! :shift:

I'll chime in for State Farm....I've worked for the company for about the last 20 years (I worked for Ford before that at WHQ), my Dad for the last 41 years. State Farm is the only major company that will use OEM parts back on your car if it is damaged, and the Select Service shops have to guaratee the workmanship of the repair for the lifetime, yes LIFETIME, that you own the vehicle. If you move to a different state after having some damage repaired and the paint goes bad, then another shop would repaint the vehicle (or other issue) and State Farm would eat the cost.

We also have all kinds of discounts and Accident Forgiveness that you build up over time with State Farm. With us, all you Homeowners policies, Life, Health, Bank Products, etc are with State Farm and not passed off to another company like other major carriers like Geico and Progressive...they don't do these policies in-house so they have no underwriting pull if needed.

There are many other benefits to State Farm, especially having a local agent that you get to know and trust. As you move around the country, your agent can help you find another agent that can help you at a new location. When something goes wrong and you need someone to help you, that familiar name and voice is worth everything. I can't tell you how many people I've helped in the middle of the night from car accidents to home fires....that is where the rubber meets the road in the Insurance world. I've gone to client's homes when they have had a house fire to give them the first check to get started on things even while the fire department is still spraying down the flames. They are shocked to see me, but I always tell them if they have a problem and they call me, then I'll be there for them...even at 2 am.

Whatever you do, find a major company that will stick with you and that has outstanding claims service. Just remember, not all companies are the same, even some of the major companies won't repair your car the way you would expect them to. Good luck and get that car of your dreams!

Andy.

Sean,

Not sure if you're on a FOB or a larger base, and I'm sure you've planned on this, but either way; be sure to take advantage of the auto buying programs through NEX or AAFES (just depends on your service) They have got some really good prices, you get some great tax advantages, and they've got a really good build program. You can do it all online, if you're not at a large base.

By the way, I've been at different bases along the FL panhandle for years now. Would love to see that new car when you get back!

andy... thanks for that on state farm ive had them since i started driving and will continue to have them for the reasons that you mentioned.

arants...im at a fob i was at a smaller one before but just moved back to one of the larger fobs. i was missing the ppl i came here with started to get lonely at the smaller one by myself. well it was me and my pooch but still mostly one sided conversations. lol... im at eglin.

i looked into the new cars sales i didnt think they offerd a shelby. i compared prices on a regular gt at dealership in dc and the dealership was cheaper. i know they will match the price but not worth the hassle.

• 1 month later...

im new to this site and to shelbys and planning on getting one when i get back from afghan. im just wondering how much everyone is paying for insurance? ill be 25 in nov so it should go down some. im looking at getting a 2010-12. ive been trying to do as much research as i can to find out what the differences are.

Sean, Tony with American National, I can take you through the entire process and help educate you as in what to look for and stay away from. tony.gay@american-national.com.

Not exactly on point, but the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gathers plenty of information about insurance losses, some of it presented by Make and Model, as in the chart on this page.

With 100 as average for all, what a surprise to see convertibles below average in insurance losses.

Insurance losses for Sports-type cars

Lots of other interesting statistics reachable from that page.

Archived