TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MY Alloy Vert is in MY Garage!!

AlloyVert

After 2 years and 3 months of waiting (yes, I would have bought one the day it was debuted at the New York Auto Show), the Shelby GT 500 Alloy Vert is in MY Garage!!

I thought I had my dream car, 2001 Cobra Vert. Then the talk started about a Shelby GT 500. I had to have one. I couldn't get my dealer to take an order and I didn't know this forum was here (had I known you were all here sharing your info, I would have done it differently, but I didn't). They were taking names and putting them on a list. I was number 8 on a list of 500 and I just waited until my dealer got their first one. They called me the evening they received their first one, and I was there the next day to look at it. I had such a visceral reaction at just the sight of it, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I sat down with my salesman and we talked price. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows!! They wanted 30 over. I couldn't afford it, period. I was crushed.

I didn't let that be the end of MY story. I started calling everyone I knew that was associated with cars, be it in the business some way or a hobby. It only took a week (August 1, 2006), but I found a dealer that would sell me one that I could afford!!! He told me it would take 12 to 14 weeks to get it. I believed him. The weeks went by and about 10 weeks into the wait (which at the time I thought I just couldn't wait any longer) I found out it wasn't going to get here in the time frame I was told. I just had no idea. I was suffering from PSDS and didn't even know it!!

Then I found all of you. Man, I can't thank all of you enough. I was able to get tons of info, lots of laughs, and great advice while I continued to wait. It is never a good idea to self diagnose, but I decided I too was suffering from PSDS. I could get some relief from my symptoms by hanging out with all of you. The information I gained from all of you helped me feel empowered. I knew the real story, not some BS coming from a guy who already made the sale and was off to the next one. The info that helped me the most was learning to call Ford Customer Service for info and how to track a rail car. I just called CS every week and got the same status (material hold). Then.................I got BUCKED!! Oh happy days!!

It seems to have happened pretty quickly once I was bucked. Although, while I was going through it, each and every day seems to have about 36 hours to them!! But looking back on it, I was bucked on March 9th and took delivery on March 24th!!

The car is .......... not real sure how to complete that sentence. The best I have been able to describe it is..it's a Gentle Giant. It has so much power, but in a gentle kind of way. My Cobra is more in your face power, and the Shelby has so much more power, but discrete. It's hard to explain. It is way more than I expected! The look of it is breath-taking. What a BEAST. I put the CD in the player (one of the ways I dealt with the PSDS was to burn my own disc for the virgin voyage - first song you ask? BORN TO BE WILD) I got familiar with the gauges, the feel of the shifter and clutch, put the top down, then turned over the engine. Man, I thought I was going to have a heart attack right then and there. Tears just fell out of my eyes. I couldn't stop them, and I had to wait to put it into gear because I couldn't see through the tears! BREATH DEEP.

First stop, the performance shop. Had to talk about exhaust. I don't know which kind, or when, I just know I will.

Drove it to my daughter's house. She was going to be the first one I let drive it. I was a single parent and we didn't have a lot while she was growing up. We had what we needed, but not a lot of what we wanted. She understood what this meant to me. She drove it and was speechless. She thinks it is something out of the future. She called it a Jetson's car. We had a good laugh over that one!

After we left her house, we went for a bite to eat and we read parts of the owner’s manual at dinner. Brought it home and put it into the garage for the night. I can't tell you what a good night sleep I had! I have been so stressed and suffering with PSDS, I wasn't sleeping very well. Lots to do today, drive it and then drive it and then I will probably drive it some more. I want to go to the beach today and see if I can get some pics to post. So stay tuned!

This somehow feels like an acceptance speech, but I do want to thank all of you. I wouldn't have wanted to go through it without you. :grouphug:

DITTO ...... We all know the feeling that you went through .... and it is so Great to finally have her in your garage safe and sound.

Get ready for the attention that the car will bring .. for it will BRING attention.

Congratulations on your long wait ... have no doubt its been worth your while

After 2 years and 3 months of waiting (yes, I would have bought one the day it was debuted at the New York Auto Show), the Shelby GT 500 Alloy Vert is in MY Garage!!

I thought I had my dream car, 2001 Cobra Vert. Then the talk started about a Shelby GT 500. I had to have one. I couldn't get my dealer to take an order and I didn't know this forum was here (had I known you were all here sharing your info, I would have done it differently, but I didn't). They were taking names and putting them on a list. I was number 8 on a list of 500 and I just waited until my dealer got their first one. They called me the evening they received their first one, and I was there the next day to look at it. I had such a visceral reaction at just the sight of it, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I sat down with my salesman and we talked price. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows!! They wanted 30 over. I couldn't afford it, period. I was crushed.

I didn't let that be the end of MY story. I started calling everyone I knew that was associated with cars, be it in the business some way or a hobby. It only took a week (August 1, 2006), but I found a dealer that would sell me one that I could afford!!! He told me it would take 12 to 14 weeks to get it. I believed him. The weeks went by and about 10 weeks into the wait (which at the time I thought I just couldn't wait any longer) I found out it wasn't going to get here in the time frame I was told. I just had no idea. I was suffering from PSDS and didn't even know it!!

Then I found all of you. Man, I can't thank all of you enough. I was able to get tons of info, lots of laughs, and great advice while I continued to wait. It is never a good idea to self diagnose, but I decided I too was suffering from PSDS. I could get some relief from my symptoms by hanging out with all of you. The information I gained from all of you helped me feel empowered. I knew the real story, not some BS coming from a guy who already made the sale and was off to the next one. The info that helped me the most was learning to call Ford Customer Service for info and how to track a rail car. I just called CS every week and got the same status (material hold). Then.................I got BUCKED!! Oh happy days!!

It seems to have happened pretty quickly once I was bucked. Although, while I was going through it, each and every day seems to have about 36 hours to them!! But looking back on it, I was bucked on March 9th and took delivery on March 24th!!

The car is .......... not real sure how to complete that sentence. The best I have been able to describe it is..it's a Gentle Giant. It has so much power, but in a gentle kind of way. My Cobra is more in your face power, and the Shelby has so much more power, but discrete. It's hard to explain. It is way more than I expected! The look of it is breath-taking. What a BEAST. I put the CD in the player (one of the ways I dealt with the PSDS was to burn my own disc for the virgin voyage - first song you ask? BORN TO BE WILD) I got familiar with the gauges, the feel of the shifter and clutch, put the top down, then turned over the engine. Man, I thought I was going to have a heart attack right then and there. Tears just fell out of my eyes. I couldn't stop them, and I had to wait to put it into gear because I couldn't see through the tears! BREATH DEEP.

First stop, the performance shop. Had to talk about exhaust. I don't know which kind, or when, I just know I will.

Drove it to my daughter's house. She was going to be the first one I let drive it. I was a single parent and we didn't have a lot while she was growing up. We had what we needed, but not a lot of what we wanted. She understood what this meant to me. She drove it and was speechless. She thinks it is something out of the future. She called it a Jetson's car. We had a good laugh over that one!

After we left her house, we went for a bite to eat and we read parts of the owner’s manual at dinner. Brought it home and put it into the garage for the night. I can't tell you what a good night sleep I had! I have been so stressed and suffering with PSDS, I wasn't sleeping very well. Lots to do today, drive it and then drive it and then I will probably drive it some more. I want to go to the beach today and see if I can get some pics to post. So stay tuned!

This somehow feels like an acceptance speech, but I do want to thank all of you. I wouldn't have wanted to go through it without you. :grouphug:

Congrats!! Great choice!

What a great story, thank you for sharing it with us. I spent several hours before the dealership opened that morning Sep 30th looking down the street waiting to catch my first glimpse of mine. When I seen the truck coming I started to tremble soo much I thought I would drop my camera. I too to this day can't put into words the feeling I had on that first glimpse. I want to share that moment with all of you that I come back to time and time again for help and advise. Thanks to each and everyone on this web that shares stories, experiences, and helpful advise. It's hard for me to discuss my Shelby with friends, co-workers, and family. I'm glad I have you fine people to share some laughs with. I hope to meet all of you at car shows some day. Here is my special moment. Stopping short of my two sons that were born this has to be the third greatest moment in my life. post-6385-1174901196_thumb.jpgpost-6385-1174901225_thumb.jpgpost-6385-1174901255_thumb.jpg

post-6385-1174901196_thumb.jpg

post-6385-1174901225_thumb.jpg

post-6385-1174901255_thumb.jpg

Hey Alloyvert, congrats on your car. I just got my Vista Blue/Tungsten Coupe last week and also own a 2001 True Blue Cobra, which I still really like as well although it seems a little slow now, but still fun to drive. I like your comparison of the two cars, it's great how you can drive the GT500 so smooth and civilized and then instantly get badboy with it. I love this car on freeway entry ramps............

• 11 months later...

Archived