TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Power Steering Fluid Being Ejected Out of Reservoir

I have an issue with power steering fluid coming out of the underhood reservoir. It started a couple years ago and was quite minor and only happened at track events. It has progressed to the point where it is anything but minor and is happening on the street as well. Like anyone tracking their car, I run automatic transmission fluid in my power sterring system (Royal Purple).

Has anyone experienced this and, as important, did you find any "fix" for it? Thanks in advance.

Jim

First time I've heard of running anything but the recommended fluid for the power steering and I've raced / tracked since the 80's. Maybe for some reason I've just never heard it said...or maybe that is what is causing your problem.

Bob,

Interesting about our differing experiences with p/s fluid vs. a/t fluid. I know it is commonly used out West and down South. My understanding is that the a/t fluid has properties that handle heat a bit better than p/s fluid. Not sure about that claim, however. You can see on the Amsoil site that they have one fluid for both applications. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx Scroll down to "applications" and you will see it.

The problem started when I was still running p/s fluid and we moved to a/t fluid as one strategy. I have also had a secondary p/s cooling device installed (much more capable than the stock unit). We have concluded that it is not heat that is the issue. I am having my speed shop tear out the old steering rack and replace it. I may have just cooked the whole thing. When we track our cars we often have an open track all day and we run the daylights out of the car for two days in a row. Add track tires to the mix and it may be that we are putting loads on the steering rack that caused its failure. We will see.

Jim

Bob,

Interesting about our differing experiences with p/s fluid vs. a/t fluid. I know it is commonly used out West and down South. My understanding is that the a/t fluid has properties that handle heat a bit better than p/s fluid. Not sure about that claim, however. You can see on the Amsoil site that they have one fluid for both applications. http://www.amsoil.co...efront/atf.aspx Scroll down to "applications" and you will see it.

The problem started when I was still running p/s fluid and we moved to a/t fluid as one strategy. I have also had a secondary p/s cooling device installed (much more capable than the stock unit). We have concluded that it is not heat that is the issue. I am having my speed shop tear out the old steering rack and replace it. I may have just cooked the whole thing. When we track our cars we often have an open track all day and we run the daylights out of the car for two days in a row. Add track tires to the mix and it may be that we are putting loads on the steering rack that caused its failure. We will see.

Jim

I had that happen while at the track at the Bash. It was right after they did my SC and I had a new aluminum PS reservoir installed ( along with the other tanks). I was told that the problem was the tank itself. The tanks design caused the PS fluid to swirl in the tank in such a manner that it would suck air into the system. Once there was enough air in the system, it would start blowing fluid out the top. If you have after market equipment, you might want to check for that

Archived