TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter Trouble?

Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on our Hurst short throw shifters.

The other day my Dad drove my car and he immediately noticed the shifter, and said it felt like the shifter wasn't tight, that it had some play even after it was in the selected gear. My car only has 6,000 miles, and I haven't noticed any difference in the shifter since the car was new. The shifter is much much tighter and notchy feeling than a regular gt shifter, but I haven't felt another hurst in a mustang. I was wondering if any of yours are still tight and if youve had any trouble. When the car is shut off you can hear a pretty good clanking and notching sound when going through the gears .

If you guys have any feedback or experience with this problem please post! I appreciate all the help.

I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to compare a feeling through text in a forum like this.

What may feel loose to you may feel just right, or even tight, to someone else. It's subjective. Having said that there are some known concerns with the shifter identified over the years, with potential solutions which include tightening the retaining bolts, you can find in the forums. Do a search for "shifter" in the topic title and you will find years of experience and solutions.

For example the old Shifter thread found here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15027-hurst-shifter-thread/

On the other hand your shifter may be just fine and your Dad has never driven a racing short throw shifter...but again without being able to feel it I wouldn't presume to say or recommend any particular course of action.

If it comes off in your hand then it's too loose!!

:hysterical:

At 4000 miles the anchor bolt came out on the passenger side. With it went was the two piece bushing and sleeve. That day prior to the incident the shifter felt loose and i even missed 2nd gear during a hard shift with the clutch all the way in. Later that day i down shifted to third and it went about 3 inches to far. No noise just the whole shifter assembly moving around. After the bolt, bushings, and sleeve were retrieved, i installed them from underneath with red loctite on the bolt. My reccomendation is to remove the bolt and re-install with red/ blue loctite.

Hey guys, got the car on the rack today and I found the problem after about 3 seconds. The linkage from the bottom of the shifter, to the tranny case, was basically out. I went to check the tightness of the bolt, and it fell out. So what I thought was going to be a simple fix, turned out to be a bit more difficult. When I went to thread the bolt back into the case, through the rubber bushings, it would turn about 3 turns very easily, then after that it just stopped, leaving about 3/4 of an inch of play. Nothing could get it past this point. So thinking I was cross threading the bolt, considering I couldnt see the angle very well, I unbolted the tranny brace, allowing the transmission to drop about a half an inch, and allowing free access into the case. Still the bolt would not thread.

So i have come to the conclusion that the threads in the transmission case, must have been cross threaded from shelby. Theres no way I could've screwed up the threads with my finger tightening. THE FIX (for now at least) I put about 5 washers in between the bolt and the linkage, tightening everything as far as I could. Now there is zero play. The bolt is close, to the floor pan, but it seems ok, no rattles yet.

Got in the car after everything was tight, went through the gears, and I can honestly say it never felt that tight and close even when I bought the car new in 06.

Im assuming when it went through the line at shelby, whoever was installing said ok thats tight enough, not realizing the amount of play in the linkage.

Feels like a new shifter!!!!

If anyone out there thinks theyre shifter feels sloppy, or less tight than it was, I would def. recommend getting underneath and checking this out!

Archived