TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Bag Light On

txcobra

On my 2 day old 2012, I have an intermittent airbag light coming on in my instrument cluster, tried re-seating the yellow plugs under the seats before taking it in (as I had read that this could be the fix), but not in my case. The dealer pulled the codes and said that both seats had codes reading "open", but that there were still getting continuity and therefore are still working. The fix that was proposed was to order new airbags (including the harnesses), but the service advisor asked the tech to check to see if there was a new part number for the replacements or if we would be taking the seats all apart to replace them with the same part. He checked and confirmed that they are the same.

So, I really don't want to have my brand new recaros torn apart to replace the airbag, especially if it is not likely to resolve the problem. However, the alternative is to deal with the light and wonder if the airbags have or will fail at some point.

Any thoughts or has anyone else experienced this?

On my 2 day old 2012, I have an intermittent airbag light coming on in my instrument cluster, tried re-seating the yellow plugs under the seats before taking it in (as I had read that this could be the fix), but not in my case. The dealer pulled the codes and said that both seats had codes reading "open", but that there were still getting continuity and therefore are still working. The fix that was proposed was to order new airbags (including the harnesses), but the service advisor asked the tech to check to see if there was a new part number for the replacements or if we would be taking the seats all apart to replace them with the same part. He checked and confirmed that they are the same.

So, I really don't want to have my brand new recaros torn apart to replace the airbag, especially if it is not likely to resolve the problem. However, the alternative is to deal with the light and wonder if the airbags have or will fail at some point.

Same issue happened to me and it hasn't shut off for the past month. Waiting on getting my oil changed to get it fixed.

Now on my way in to work my low tire pressure light went on. I stopped at a gas station and filled all my tires (only one was a couple pounds low) and the light is still on. I didn't even know our cars had tire pressure sensors but what the hell good are all of these sensors if they constantly malfunction.

IMHO id make themgive you new seats--its covered by Ford--- the seatswill never look the same if they re-build them, and i wonder if the airbags would be certified if the dealer put them in. I think the dealer is just trying to create more labor hours for himself. Putting in new seats would be alot less hours than re-building--id escalet the issue to the GM at the location--id be firm on my position andmaybe talk with the Ford Regl rep as well

IMHO id make themgive you new seats--its covered by Ford--- the seatswill never look the same if they re-build them, and i wonder if the airbags would be certified if the dealer put them in. I think the dealer is just trying to create more labor hours for himself. Putting in new seats would be alot less hours than re-building--id escalet the issue to the GM at the location--id be firm on my position andmaybe talk with the Ford Regl rep as well

Great advice, thanks.

Sounds like those Recaros are junk.... I will be later to swap them out with my regular seats...... ;)

I did in my car...read about a rubbing underseat wire...I pulled seat and checked....no dice. Dealer "fixed" twice...end result was they finally replaced the air bag module ( whatever that is) and PRESTO no more problems...thats all I know...

Good to know the recent info on the air bags. I picked up my 2011 last month up here in Canada and after only a few days of driving, the air bag light comes on most of the time and usually stays lit. I'll be bringing it in for servicing when I get back from vacation. I also have to get them to tighten up a small gap between the back bumper and body right behind the rear wheel well....It's tight on one side but on the driver's side, it is about an 1/8 of an inch separated. I'm hoping it's just a simple fix.

From what I hear the airbag replacement seems to fix it. The airbag light seems to come on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat if I am alone, it hasn't come on.

K...thanks.....Mine has been coming on when alone or with a passenger; gotta get it checked!

• 3 weeks later...

Just brought my car in to the Sherwood Ford dealer yesterday for the airbag light and after some diagnostics, it turned out to be a faulty restraint control module.

Anyway, dealer was awesome experience for having my Shelby serviced for the first time. They ordered the part the same day and replaced it. Their shuttle service was great too! they took me to work and asked what time they could pick me up, which they did. Good to see from a decent dealership and hope future experiences will continue this way.

Oooops....Spoke to fast....Had the car back for a few days and the darn light is back on again...Back to the dealer next week....It's gotta be something else causing the module to go or using bad modules I'm guessing.

Archived