09 GT500 or new 5.0

stuper01

what to do??  

70 members have voted

1. 1. which car do i buy?

• 2009 GT500?
    • orfder a 5.0 from the factory?

hello everyone!

I have been looking around at a few cars for the last few weeks....

i have narrowed it down...

either I order a brand new GT/CS 5.0.... or there is a 2009 GT500 for approx the same price with 20,000km's on it.

it is a white coupe with dark grey stripes.

Help a guy out!!!!

hello everyone!

I have been looking around at a few cars for the last few weeks....

i have narrowed it down...

either I order a brand new GT/CS 5.0.... or there is a 2009 GT500 for approx the same price with 20,000km's on it.

it is a white coupe with dark grey stripes.

Help a guy out!!!!

Buy what your heart wants. If were up to me, I would buy the 09 GT500. I just like the overall body style much better. The interior and electronics on the newer 5.0 is just excellent so Body style, 09, Interior style 5.0.

QSS

Looks like 2 votes for the GT500 wins :hysterical:

I agree with QSS and go with your gut feelings.

Also think about in the future if you do car shows, or cruizing, etc. Do you want a Mustang like all the others or a Shelby? I vote for the GT500, but I do love the 5.0. I would love to have a 5.0 for a driver, but would take the Shelby as a long time car to keep any day.

Buy what your heart wants. If were up to me, I would buy the 09 GT500. I just like the overall body style much better. The interior and electronics on the newer 5.0 is just excellent so Body style, 09, Interior style 5.0.

QSS

+1. The interior of the new one is an improvement and the 5.0 is a great, but I would still buy the GT500. Either way, both are good choices.

ok..... thanks for the input...

here are my plans.. I have bought and sold a few cars in the last few years... skimping on spending money and getting a REAL car.

so, now its time to get off the wallet.

1. i want a car that i can take to the dragstrip and lay a beating on a few guys.... (-1 for the GT500 for being a 6 speed... tough to bracket race)

2. i want a car to go to a track day or two a year.... i tried road course racing a year ago with an 06 Charger Daytona, and loved it.

3. i want something that wont deprecaite like a stone, although i plan to keep this car for the long haul.... be nice to have something that not everyone has too... (+1 GT500)

here is where a few guys stop talking to me..... I am also considering a new 2010 CamaroSS...

1. i want a car that i can take to the dragstrip and lay a beating on a few guys.... (-1 for the GT500 for being a 6 speed... tough to bracket race)

I don't drag race, so I won't claim to be an expert at all, but I know there are lots of folks here who do...so it's not necessarily out of the question.

2. i want a car to go to a track day or two a year.... i tried road course racing a year ago with an 06 Charger Daytona, and loved it.

I've been to 3 HPDEs at VIR so far, and I can tell you that a GT500 on a road course is (a) really really fast, and (B) really really scary to stop quickly. It's a very fast, very heavy car. Track brakes, stainless lines, and DOT4 fluid are a MUST. Definitely fun, though! (Get insurance! See my other thread here!)

3. i want something that wont deprecaite like a stone, although i plan to keep this car for the long haul.... be nice to have something that not everyone has too... (+1 GT500)

The GT500 will definitely hold its value, probably better than a GT, but I'm amazed at how well the GTs are holding their value (2005+)! It's incredible!

here is where a few guys stop talking to me..... I am also considering a new 2010 CamaroSS...

Traitor! :hysterical: Another good choice, but heavier than the GT...maybe as heavy or a bit heavier than the GT500...and make sure you sit in one first. Talk about gun-slits!

Consider transmissions, too. There are widespread reports of issues with the MT-82 manual tranny on the 2011+ GTs. On the other hand, make sure the '09 GT500 has had the transmission TSB performed, because then you might have tranny troubles there, too.

Decisions, decisions...

Just get both! :happy feet:

Good luck, and post pics whichever way you go (even the Chevy)!

ok..... thanks for the input...

here are my plans.. I have bought and sold a few cars in the last few years... skimping on spending money and getting a REAL car.

so, now its time to get off the wallet.

Yep..........you lost me. :hysterical:

Go with your gut on which one to get. Another good point with the GT500 is endless mod options.

Cricket...cricket....

Yep, you're done! :finger:

It's ok, make your choice. But have you driven the SS yet? I've put about 1,200 miles on my buddies car. Seeing out, visability... horrible. Performance difference between the SS and GT500 is huge. Road course in the GT500 vs. SS is huge. Drag race difference, is huge. My poor little 4.6 GT-H is quicker at Bandimere Speedway than a 2010 SS, stick or automatic. If you are seriously considering a Camaro, then wait for the ZL1. That might be a pretty awsome machine. But if you want to do what you are saying with the racing, there is no question. I have driven both a bunch. You will not be happy with that choice. No doubt the Camaro is a pretty cool looking car I think, but in the long run, I guarantee your unhappiness with that choice. Long term value an depreciation will also be a big difference here. Yes, I'm certainly biased, but I'm not lying based on experience. P.S., my buddy sold the SS after 6 months and went the other way. Even after he dumped a bunch of money in it. Now if you're a dihard bowtie boy, then that might be the right choice, but it does not appear that you are if you are trying to make that choice.

I vote for the GT500. Are there any mods on the GT500 for the same price? If so, carefully consider that and go with the GT500.

However, you indicated you want an Automatic and seem to be leaning towards the 5.0(but it's hard to tell).

So, with that, how about this:

Get the 5.0, upgrade the exhaust, brakes, and supercharge it. Keep it looking like stock and it will be a sleeper looking GT/CS until it speeds away like a bullet.

Yep, it they were giving away Camaros with a Vette as a sidecar, I wouldn't stand in line for either........

GT 500 or walk!

deal is done.... majority rules....

bought the Shelby.... I am officially in the club!!

:dance:

Congratulations!! You will not be disappointed. These cars are a pleasure to drive and lots of "smiles per mile!" :happy feet:

And you got the fastest color! :shades:

Enjoy...

:salute:

Archived