TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cockeyed tail pipes

A while ago, I posted regarding the problem I was having with the left tail pipe not staying in align. After a couple of trips to the local Ford garage and discussions with Shelby staff, I finally solved the problem by listening to my mechanic. Shelby was telling me to have all the exhaust system hangers spot welded. Well, by simply bending the left hanger bracket to match the right one, the problem has been solved. A quick, easy fix. And NO welding necessary.

A while ago, I posted regarding the problem I was having with the left tail pipe not staying in align. After a couple of trips to the local Ford garage and discussions with Shelby staff, I finally solved the problem by listening to my mechanic. Shelby was telling me to have all the exhaust system hangers spot welded. Well, by simply bending the left hanger bracket to match the right one, the problem has been solved. A quick, easy fix. And NO welding necessary.

Classic :)

Yeah, I tried that too first...It will come back. The left hanger bends back over time. Sorry bud.

The only other solution to welding is tying together the two pipes at the rear, or installing an additional hanger right above the rear opening.

I really do hope it works for you though, not being negative.

Yeah, I tried that too first...It will come back. The left hanger bends back over time. Sorry bud.

The only other solution to welding is tying together the two pipes at the rear, or installing an additional hanger right above the rear opening.

I really do hope it works for you though, not being negative.

Please tell me they are doing this weld fix out in Vegas before they put them on the hauler.

This issue is a result of the design of the exhaust as it relates to the material of the exhaust. We fixed this by cycling the engine through our test drive cycle prior to delivery. Points to note: When spot welded prior to heat cycles the exhaust still moves. Spot welding after heat cycles corrects the problem.

An example of this is our GT 350 proto-type. It ran constantly, over a 2 day period, at the SAAC mini-nats this weekend the both pipes were still in alignment.

Roger

• 4 months later...

My 2012 got here a couple weeks ago and sure enough after a few drives the left pipe is sagging. It looks terrible. After one phone call and one email, Shelby gave the approval to get the exhaust fixed here in Florida, on their dime. Good job guys. Great customer service! Thank you.

So, could someone please tell me exactly what to tell the exhaust shop or whoever I get to do the work? I'd really like some details from guys that have corrected this problem with the spot welding and or adding a bracket.

Thanks fellas.

Ps. The car is absolutely ridiculous. I got the Eibach with the Watts link suspension. The thing rides like a race car. It's pretty damn rough, which I love, but the fiance doesn't care for especially on the ride home from dinner.

My 2012 got here a couple weeks ago and sure enough after a few drives the left pipe is sagging. It looks terrible. After one phone call and one email, Shelby gave the approval to get the exhaust fixed here in Florida, on their dime. Good job guys. Great customer service! Thank you.

So, could someone please tell me exactly what to tell the exhaust shop or whoever I get to do the work? I'd really like some details from guys that have corrected this problem with the spot welding and or adding a bracket.

Thanks fellas.

Ps. The car is absolutely ridiculous. I got the Eibach with the Watts link suspension. The thing rides like a race car. It's pretty damn rough, which I love, but the fiance doesn't care for especially on the ride home from dinner.

Here's a link to one of the first discussions on the tailpipe issues. It'll give you bit more info on how to fix the sagging. Bottom line, though, is find a top notch performance exhaust shop and give them a print out of the discussions from this forum here. They'll figure it out in about ten minutes and have you out on the road in another 30 or so. Have fun!!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65329-cockeyed-tail-pipes/

Thanks fellas.

I'm in Ft Lauderdale and had my tail pipe fixed at BBR- Blow By Racing in Boca..They did a great job. Oh yes and it was on my dime

I had a similar problem, and it developed as I drove the car home to Washington State. Shelby authorized me to get it fixed at a local Ford dealership or muffler shop. The Ford dealership was unable to fix it. I took the car to Stan's Headers. Stan knew Carroll Shelby back in the Riverside racing days, and he has been working on exhaust systems for decades. His shop cut the left tailpipe, re-welded it, and aligned both tail pipes. I have had no problems since the repair.

Archived