TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Inputs for tires & wheels

colt

If everything check out I will have 4 brand new CS 69 limited edition 20x9 & 20x10 by the end of this weekend. Questions:

1. Will these wheels clear the front brake on GT500
  2. What tires brand should I get?
  3. What tire size for front and rear?
  4. What price range I'm dealing with on each those tire?
  5. Can I reuse TMS on the exist OEM rim? or by a new one and where is the best place to get them?
  6. With new set of tires and rims, will the odometer need to be recalibrate?

If everything check out I will have 4 brand new CS 69 limited edition 20x9 & 20x10 by the end of this weekend. Questions:

1. Will these wheels clear the front brake on GT500
  2. What tires brand should I get?
  3. What tire size for front and rear?
  4. What price range I'm dealing with on each those tire?
  5. Can I reuse TMS on the exist OEM rim? or by a new one and where is the best place to get them?
  6. With new set of tires and rims, will the odometer need to be recalibrate?

1. Yes.

2. Nitto Invo: http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/invo

3. F: 275/35. R: 295/35

4. Research & shop

5. Yes: reuse the OEM TPMS

6. No

1) front wheel is 20x9 with 30 mm will it clear the brake?

2) how about 255/35 (f) and 275/35 ®

=============

1) Yes

2) Stock on 2010-2012 in the front is 255/40. In the rear it Depends on offset, it it is +40/+45 I would run a 285/35.

Look at carrollshelbywheel company. You can sort wheels by those that fit the big break package.

I actually like their newly released cs70 and soon to be released cs1.

Be forewarned. Depending on your present tire widths, going wider in back without also going wider in front may affect over/under-steer properties - and at 275, especially depending upon the tread pattern, you're really flirting with inviting hydroplaning.

Be forewarned. Depending on your present tire widths, going wider in back without also going wider in front may affect over/under-steer properties - and at 275, especially depending upon the tread pattern, you're really flirting with inviting hydroplaning.

I'm going with specification on the boxes, see the attachment

Front Rim.jpg

Rear Rim.jpg

Front Rim.jpg

Rear Rim.jpg

Where did you get these? I'm in love I think....you must post pictures once you get them on. I'm thinking they would look sweet with my kona blue/white....

I'm shopping for tires now. I should have pics in a couple weeks.

Here is a comparison for you

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire'>http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire'>http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire size comparer&sw1=255&ar1=35&bd1=20&rw1=9.0&et1=30&sw2=275&ar2=35&bd2=20&rw2=10.0&et2=45&text1=&text2=

above is the link for 255 & 275, this set up the front is 27" OD and rear 27.6" OD

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire size comparer&sw1=255&ar1=35&bd1=20&rw1=9.0&et1=30&sw2=275&ar2=35&bd2=20&rw2=10.0&et2=45&text1=&text2=

above is the link for 255 & 295, this set up is 27" OD and rear 28" OD

For the record I went with the 255 & 295 Nitto Invo's for the stagered look and I have the Brembos, no issues and they are awesome!!!!!

Is there requirement or specification in buying new TPMS for Shelby GT500? Or just buy a generic one

Others will work, but the key is whether the rim will accept a stem-style or you need an older, band-type system.

The Ford part number for the OE Motorcraft (stem) sensor is 9L3Z1A189A.

Others will work, but the key is whether the rim will accept a stem-style or you need an older, band-type system.

The Ford part number for the OE Motorcraft (stem) sensor is 9L3Z1A189A.

Thanks, Madlock

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone here has CS69 wheel with TPMS Valve stem instead of the band on their 2007 GT500, see the link below

http://www.cjponypar...009/p/TBANDS3K/

• 2 weeks later...

Is there requirement or specification in buying new TPMS for Shelby GT500? Or just buy a generic one

I bought mine from American Muscle. They have a kit that includes the sensors, bands, and the programmer. They even give you a dvd that shows how to program them once they are on the car. Very easy. The sensors are Ford ones too.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought mine from American Muscle. They have a kit that includes the sensors, bands, and the programmer. They even give you a dvd that shows how to program them once they are on the car. Very easy. The sensors are Ford ones too.

Thank you. I went the same route. American muscle sent me everything in one box.

I programed my tires myself. Takes under one minute if you are on your toes.

:superhero:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are rims I got last weekend, now shopping for tires

Finally got myself some tires to go with new rims. Turn out my neighbor works for a tire distributor and got these for $710 (plus tax) and I will get $80 rebate. I will have some pics in couple weeks.

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• 1 month later...

The baseline GT500 tire diameter is 27", so whatever keeps you close - especially if your car is already lowered.

SuperSnakes use a 275/35-20 and 255/35-20 setup, but realize you're going to be gearing-up your whole car by going to a larger rear tire - even by as much as 3/4". Hence the 3.73 for the SVTPP. (Though I personally wish it had a 4.10).

OTOH, you can get away with as wide as 305 (even 315 depending on the tire) with a 30 aspect. Whatever you do for handling, you're probably going to give right back in hookup - with less sidewall give probably more-than-negating the extra footprint. It almost makes going from a 3.55 to a 3.73 worthwhile if going to a 20" rear wheel is such a priority.

There simply are no free lunches to be had here.

In SoCal, you can probably get away with a summer tire year-round, even so, I happen to love the ExtremeContact DWS for its road manners alone. In all but about 5% of circumstances, they've made my GT500 a FAR better-driving car than with the OE F1 G: 2 SuperCar Tires. PilotSport PS2's are always phenomenal, as are Bridgestone Pole Positions - which can also be had in Run Flats, which may not be a bad idea at all with your expensive wheels.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW (no S for snow) is also a superb summer tire - and a bargain to boot.

Another challenge for you will be the fronts - whether you want wider 35's up-front or slightly narrow, more nimble and comfortable 40's (the default tire size in many Mustang trims is a slightly larger front tire diameter anyway).

As anal-retentive as I am about being brand-consistent, it makes mixing and matching front and rear tires something I inherently skieve. But from a pure performance perspective, it actually makes the best sense to pick the best propulsion tires for the back and handling for the front, just like draggers do with Hoosiers on the back and Pirelli has finally done with its Corsa system of entirely different front and rears - that are also directional - but you're taking-on a hell of a lot of overhead for an extra nth of performance.

Another option would be to go common-sized like a 275/35-20 all the way around - which, despite perhaps being not optimal from any particular performance sense, gives you the option of 4-way rotation.

Good luck!

Archived