TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gates Laser Belt and Pulley Alignment Tool?

Jer

• 5 months later...

That's not such a bad price compared to others I've seen. Something is wonky with my upper pulley alignment methinks, I keep getting a belt chirp every few thousand miles and have to replace the belt. :drop:

I get the squeals every time I start in the morning... think I might have a belt/alignment issue. After I warm it up, it's fine...

Jer

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to try it, send me a PM and pay for shipping and I'll send it to you as a loner. You pay shipping back or you'll get a letter from your local Seriff :).

We didn't use it because it all lined up and never used it. At least that's what Jeff said. :)

So here is the $50,000 question. How will you line-up a pulley if it is out of adjustment? There is no adjustment for these pulleys!!! If there are adjustments, short of installing a new pulley, I would like to know how as it is the best kept secret in the Ford service manual. Even the Ford mechanics I use say there is no adjustment for the pulleys on the 4.6L. I've placed a thread here in the past about belt squeal and shredding belts regarding the supercharged GT/SC's. If the belt isn't riding off the back of an idler pulley, which will cause the belt to tear/rip/shread, then you could possibly have a bearing going out in one of the pulleys. I'd beore than happy to discuss this with anyone via a phone call.

03 dgs snake - if you've gone thru that many belts, you definitely have a pulley problem. Email and leave me your phone number and I'll try and explain to you what is going on - at least what I found out.

email me at: springerjfp@aol.com

John

Are you still having issues?

I'm about to buy the damn tool before I swap this belt for the 16th time.

Nope, problem solved.

I replaced my pulleys with the Metco billet set. But wait, there's more:

What's ODD: When S.A.M. installed my Whipple, they used the 100mm pulley Whipple sends with the kit on the TENSIONER ARM (?).

Whipple specifies it to be used on the upper driver's side. I thought it was a goof, so when I went to "correct" it, I noticed there is no WAY the 100 will fit where Whipple specifies. So I figure S.A.M. just put it in anywhere it would fit. Problem is, on the tensioner arm, it makes for an awkward sharp turn at the air conditioning compressor.

So, I figured I'd put the new Metco on that arm. THEN, I found the offset on the Metco was not enough to be in alignment, the belt rode off the edge. Even if I tried reversing the pulley. It's way off.

:headscratch:

Metco was no assistance. The guy was nice, but was careful to let me know twice that I couldn't return it.

So I have the Metco kit installed everywhere except the tensioner arm - that's just got the stock pulley. No squeaks, no issues. Tracked it at The Bash, etc... and haven't heard a peep. No belt dust, nothing. I kept the same belt on, it looked fine, and obviously wasn't the issue.

Jer

Jer, you lost me on your post regarding the 100mm pulley. There needs to be a 100 MM pulley on the top right driver's side as seen in my photo below. This idler pulley is what causes many problems with shredding belts, and/or squeaking belts. Because there is no adjustment for this idler pulley, if it fits too far away from the timing chain cover, your belt will ride off the backside of the stock 100 MM pulley. I had Thump RRR racing make several custom 100 mm pulleys which I sold here on the forum - and which they now sell on their web site. I designed the pulley so it fit closer to the timing chain cover which would keep the belt from coming off the back of the pulley and shredding. I also had them flange the pulley on both sides so that it now has "lips" on each edge to further keep the belt from slipping off the rear of the pulley.

I did a very comprehensive thread on this a few months ago. I guess you missed it. I have also added a twin bearing 90 mm Thump RRR pulley to the tensioner arm now, which works much better than the stock 90 mm pulley after some custom machining by me. The belt is now centered much better on the idley pulley found on the tensioner arm, along with the flanged 100 MM pulley on the driver's side of the engine.

The last time I talked with Peter at Thump RRR Racing, he said that they were in the process of manufacturing a twin bearing 90 mm pulley for the tensioner arm. Since I couldn't wait, and had some free time, I modified the one I had already.

By the way Jer, the reason I changed the tensioner arm's 90 mm Ford pulley was because it was squeaking - the bearing was going out. Since adding the twin bearing Thump RRR pulley, all has been good for over six months and not a "squeak" to be heard.

Here is my thread from a while back I posted regarding Gates belts and the idler pulley issues. Take time to read the complete thread as I originally thought the belt squeaking and shreading problem was with Gates belts but as I dug deeper into the issue, it turned out to be the pulleys. There are some good photos explaining the pulley alignment issues and additional photos to show how it was rectified with new flanged pulleys that fir closer to the block.

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

post-26281-0-05311600-1333853903_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-05311600-1333853903_thumb.jpg

Jer, you lost me on your post regarding the 100mm pulley. There needs to be a 100 MM pulley on the top right driver's side as seen in my photo below.

I did a very comprehensive thread on this a few months ago. I guess you missed it.

Nope. On the contrary, I read it thoroughly a while back, it was very informative, and I even intended to check out the ThumpRRR flanged 100mmm.

I can see where "I lost you", as our cars seem to be set up a bit differently. Maybe a 2007/2008 variance? Look at my pix below with the 90mm installed. The location you (and Whipple) specify for the 100mmm puts the belt WAY too close to the belt's travel coming back from the Whipple auxiliary idler (the sliding bracket). Jon Westercamp and I verified this when he was installing his HO upgrade on HIS 2007 a few weeks ago. A 100mm doesn't fit there without the belt practically hitting itself on the return path. The 100 on yours and the 90 on mine leave about the same clearance at that spot. Hmmm...

Jon, chime in here...

Jer

pulley1.jpg pulley2.jpg

pulley1.jpg

pulley2.jpg

Jer, here is a pic with my 100 mm pulley installed. This is the Thump RRR idler pulley. My gap appears to be the same as yours with the 90 mm pulley. In Whipple's manual, it calls for a 90 mm idler pulley in this position if you have the 3.5" to 4" supercharger pulley. If you have 3.125" to 3.375" supercharger pulley it calls for the 100 mm idler pulley. I have the 3.125" supercharger pulley so that might be the difference between your car and my car.

post-26281-0-76697000-1334020810_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-76697000-1334020810_thumb.jpg

The 100 MM is WAY to close on mine I didn't start the car with it on but the belt looks so close i swear it will rub. I am going to check out the Thumper Kit i would like to have a pulley with the flanges if you will on the sides that would be nice. If you get the 100mm to work i have no idea how you do. how much clearance do you have with this between the pulleys?

Jer, here is a pic with my 100 mm pulley installed. This is the Thump RRR idler pulley. My gap appears to be the same as yours with the 90 mm pulley. In Whipple's manual, it calls for a 90 mm idler pulley in this position if you have the 3.5" to 4" supercharger pulley. If you have 3.125" to 3.375" supercharger pulley it calls for the 100 mm idler pulley. I have the 3.125" supercharger pulley so that might be the difference between your car and my car.

Yes, that's all the same info *I* got from Whipple, too.

I have a 3.125 pulley. So does Jon.

Interesting, huh?

Jer

Archived