TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New from SPP: Shelby 14" Front Rotor Upgrade for stock Brembo brakes

robertlane

Z28-S7M-2300-C-2.jpg

If you need better braking and stopping performance out of your Shelby or Mustang that's equipped with factory front Brembo brakes, Shelby American has the answer. Our front 14" directional and curved vane, drilled and slotted rotors feature a light weight 2-piece design, which utilizes NAS stainless steel hardware. For even more braking performance, you can also upgrade to our rear rotors, which can be found found here.

Applications:

2007-2012 Shelby GT500 with Brembo brake calipers.

2005-2012 Mustang with Brembo brake calipers.

2012-2013 Boss 302.

Features:

Directional with curved vanes.

Crossdrilled, slotted and zinc coated surfaces!

Release date:

New product release: 01 August 2012.

Made in the U.S.A.

Click here to order or for more information.

Robert,

Where can I get a set of the Brembo Brake Calipers and will they fit on the Stock Shelby GT 18 inch rims? I'd like to upgrade my brakes and rotors at a reasonable cost and was told by another TS member that upgrading to the Brembos for street use is a great way to go...main thing, would they fit under my stock 18 inch rims? I've been looking at rims just to accomodate better brakes....

Thanks,

Andy.

We don't have any loose Brembo brakes at this point. They work excellent on the Shelby GT.

Do you know if they will clear the stock 18" wheels or do I need upgraded wheels to clear?

I see that the Brembo Brakes are available as a kit (plain rotors) on the Ford Racing website...just a mere $1500 for the kit.

Here is the link to the kit:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9540

They reference several Ford SVT wheels (including the old GT500 version) that will clear the brakes.

Here is the link to the wheels:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9485

Any help on what works with the Stock Rims would be great.

Thanks,

Andy.

Do you know if they will clear the stock 18" wheels or do I need upgraded wheels to clear?

I see that the Brembo Brakes are available as a kit (plain rotors) on the Ford Racing website...just a mere $1500 for the kit.

Here is the link to the kit:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9540

They reference several Ford SVT wheels (including the old GT500 version) that will clear the brakes.

Here is the link to the wheels:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9485

Any help on what works with the Stock Rims would be great.

Thanks,

Andy.

Brembo brakes will not fit the stock Shelby GT wheels

• 1 month later...

anybody know if they crack on the track?

They are drilled. They will be more prone to stress fractures in hard track use. It's just the nature of the beast because they cool unevenly. Now if you can afford to replace the rings often, they ARE lighter than a set of non-drilled rotors...............

They are drilled. They will be more prone to stress fractures in hard track use. It's just the nature of the beast because they cool unevenly. Now if you can afford to replace the rings often, they ARE lighter than a set of non-drilled rotors...............

Cool, the stock ones are surprisingly heavy...

a slotted but non-drilled 2-piece rotor with an aluminum hat (similar to this product) is the best compromise for budget minded track addicts. They save considerable weight with the aluminum hat but maintain enough thermal mass to handle the heat generated by track use. Plus the heat is more evenly dissipated, which helps to avoid stress fractures. The slots do assist in maintaining solid contact between rotor and pads. So they are good to have.

However if you don't have cooling ducts and overheat the suckers, nothing will stop them from cracking, no matter how they are made.......... :rip:

P.s. I've been asking Baer for an upgraded 2-piece rotor for the stock calipers , sans drilled holes, for 5 years now. Looks like I'm getting closer :hysterical:

So occasional track use and DD during the week would still be a suggested "no-go" for these???

Sorry for the late reply, but no that's not what I'm trying to say. For the use that you are suggesting these would be just fine!

Serious track use would not be fine, however......(imho).

Just remember that novice track goers often over-use their brakes, and that could present a problem if you visit the track more than a couple of times a year. Just keep an eye on the rotors, make sure they don't start to turn blue, and look very closely for small hair-line cracks between the drilled holes. If either condition developes, buy new rings!

So does anyone have the actual weight saving for just the front pair over the stock gt500 rotors. Full tilt boogie has some light weight 2pc front rotors that are 11lbs lighter than stock an are slotted an can be used on the track

So does anyone have the actual weight saving for just the front pair over the stock gt500 rotors. Full tilt boogie has some light weight 2pc front rotors that are 11lbs lighter than stock an are slotted an can be used on the track

Don't know about exact weight savings for these SPP rotor sets, I don't see a weight spec on the parts site.

But, FWIW, FTBR is someone you can trust as far as track-worthy equipment.

After verifying the weight savings, you should also check on the cost of replacement rings of the various vendors. They are "expendable" wear items......... I'm on my fourth set and I've had a light schedule these past 2 years thanks to the economy.... :blink:

Archived