TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New from SPP: Shelby GT500KR Air Filter

Here's the new air filter for the GT500KR :happy feet:

S8M-9601-C-2.jpg

Shelby American's air filters are designed with the finest materials available. Each air filter body is made from hand-poured urethane that will not crack or shrink, even in the high-heat environments found in super charged Shelby Mustangs. The body is then wrapped with multiple layers of cotton gauze to create a unique filtration system that traps the smallest particles possible without restricting air flow.

This dry air filter is 100% washable and reusable and comes with a Lifetime warranty.

Applications:

2008-2009 Shelby GT500KR

Notes:

Direct replacement for GT500KR

Genuine Shelby American

Release date:

New product release: 03 August 2011.

Made in the U.S.A.

Click here to order or for more information.

Just ordered one.

Are we supposed to oil these filters? I notice that the description specifically states that its "dry". Seems like I read somewhere that some of these type filters are lubricated with a light misting of oil?

These are dry.

Just got mine and was all excited to install it, shouldn't have taken but 5 minutes but guess what, it doesn't fit. Seems like the inside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the piece it is supposed to slip over. Not sure what to do from here. Guess I could try shoe horning it in but it will definitely require a second person to hold it. Robert, any suggestions?

Just got mine and was all excited to install it, shouldn't have taken but 5 minutes but guess what, it doesn't fit. Seems like the inside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the piece it is supposed to slip over. Not sure what to do from here. Guess I could try shoe horning it in but it will definitely require a second person to hold it. Robert, any suggestions?

Oh no! I ordered one and its supposed to be delivered today. If indeed it does not fit, I will definitely return it. I wanted to stick with Shelby-branded products, but if it does not fit, I'm not going to jump through hoops to make it work.

Is the quality control really this bad?

Oh no! I ordered one and its supposed to be delivered today. If indeed it does not fit, I will definitely return it. I wanted to stick with Shelby-branded products, but if it does not fit, I'm not going to jump through hoops to make it work.

Is the quality control really this bad?

Let us know if you have the same fitment issue, as I was about to order this as well...

Bad news guys. It doesn't fit, and its not even close. Here is a picture of the new air filter with the outlet pipe on top. Notice that the outside diameter of the outlet pipe and the outside diameter of the filter are the same!

NewKRAirFilter.jpg

Unless you use a shoehorn and have 2 guys as jcf suggested, there is no way this will fit. I tried to wedge it in, but got to the point that it looked like the rubber might tear, or it would warp the outlet pipe, so I gave up.

For comparison, here is the outlet pipe on top of the old filter:

OldKrAirFilter.jpg

Granted, being the original, this one probably stretched out a bit, but its a good snug fit, and its up to the hose clamp to make it tight.

I'm calling Shelby in the morning to send it back, and will go with the K&R filter mentioned here previously.

:cry:

Bad news guys. It doesn't fit, and its not even close. Here is a picture of the new air filter with the outlet pipe on top. Notice that the outside diameter of the outlet pipe and the outside diameter of the filter are the same!

NewKRAirFilter.jpg

Unless you use a shoehorn and have 2 guys as jcf suggested, there is no way this will fit. I tried to wedge it in, but got to the point that it looked like the rubber might tear, or it would warp the outlet pipe, so I gave up.

For comparison, here is the outlet pipe on top of the old filter:

OldKrAirFilter.jpg

Granted, being the original, this one probably stretched out a bit, but its a good snug fit, and its up to the hose clamp to make it tight.

I'm calling Shelby in the morning to send it back, and will go with the K&R filter mentioned here previously.

:cry:

Glad to know it just wasn't me. I was hoping Robert would see the last few comments in this thread and offer some advice. I am getting ready to send him a PM. Stay tuned.

Silence from Team Shelby on this one is deafining. What gives?. I bought a repacement from Ford Racing. Very tight fit too, but doesn't look as bad as this!

Robert has been back in Michigan for some time getting ready for this weeks Team Shelby event, so I'd give him so time upon his return, post event, to respond...

Houston, we have a problem...

Was going to drive me nuts waiting until later to see if this was true, so I ran down and pulled the KR's filter and took these photos.

Looks like somebody got the o.d and the i.d mixed up..

I'd say that observation is spot on Kali!

Check out my pics. New-style KR filter is sitting on top of the FFRP filter. Obvious difference in diameters for the two filters. Note the third photo, the "new" KR filter drops into the original Ford filter perfectly.

SA, somebody really screwed the pooch on this one. Ouch.

Take care,

Smitty

post-29099-0-23810300-1313596591_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-42139400-1313596600_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-34144700-1313596607_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-23810300-1313596591_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-42139400-1313596600_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-34144700-1313596607_thumb.jpg

Check out my pics. New-style KR filter is sitting on top of the FFRP filter. Obvious difference in diameters for the two filters. Note the third photo, the "new" KR filter drops into the original Ford filter perfectly.

Smitty - do you have the link for the FFRP filter? Did you order it online or get it through your local Ford dealer? I was about to order the K&R, but would rather stay with Ford/Shelby whenever possible.

BTW, just called SPP and got a return authorization.

My pleasure sir!

FFRP Air Filter

Looks like we all get to spend some more time shipping these babies back? :rolleyes: Oh well...

Take care,

Smitty

Thanks for the link. I don't see a way to order it from that page, and the closest Ford dealer listed carrying this part is about 25 miles away. Where did you get yours?

Spoke with Justin at SA for the RMA. They're good folks there. Mine will be going back tomorrow.

BTW: I mentioned to SA, my concern is for the KR owner out there that may not see this info, and thinking to themselves this new filter has to fit, I'm just not shoving it on hard enough..

may end up damaging or tearing the (to the best of my limited knowledge) very difficult to replace KR-unique CAI rubber seal that fits around the intake tube and seals the whole back area of the FFRP airbox. Snakes didn't get these AFAIK, I'm pretty sure it's a KR only part. I went looking for one earlier this year as a "keep it in case I need it" part and could not locate one. I love the KR for many things, but the hood and it's accompanying working cold air design was a huge bonus in my heart. I may be wrong, any info on finding this part would be cool, but it damn near seems to be already made out of "Unobtainium". Possibly an impossible-to-find part for the future KR restoration 20 years hence?

Sometimes it's that type of goofy little rubber part that is murder to locate during a restoration.

Cheers,

Mark

post-29099-0-93052600-1313615360_thumb.jpg

post-29099-0-93052600-1313615360_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link. I don't see a way to order it from that page, and the closest Ford dealer listed carrying this part is about 25 miles away. Where did you get yours?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=M-9601-D#q=M-9601-D&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=2df4ccc1a8aec410&biw=1920&bih=1109

Archived