TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rwhp rating for gt350?

hey was wondering if anyone can tell me the true rwhp rating of all three variants of the gt 350? i have been very skeptical of getting one after seeing the highly overy rated hp of the gt500, for those of you who are wondering what im talking about the 2011 gt500 that is rated at 550 hp only pushes around 460-475 hp to the wheel givin alternating conditions. yet the 2011 mustang gt 5.0 is rated at 412hp and pushes 386-395hp to the wheel. i cant see that shelby loses 90 hp in the drivetrain and a gt only loses 20 on a vary similar drive train. the gt350 is a very physically appealing vehicle. but for 40k i can do a lot with a standard gt

hey was wondering if anyone can tell me the true rwhp rating of all three variants of the gt 350? i have been very skeptical of getting one after seeing the highly overy rated hp of the gt500, for those of you who are wondering what im talking about the 2011 gt500 that is rated at 550 hp only pushes around 460-475 hp to the wheel givin alternating conditions. yet the 2011 mustang gt 5.0 is rated at 412hp and pushes 386-395hp to the wheel. i cant see that shelby loses 90 hp in the drivetrain and a gt only loses 20 on a vary similar drive train. the gt350 is a very physically appealing vehicle. but for 40k i can do a lot with a standard gt

Check the test results in the latest 5.0 magazine. They compared the GT500 to the 525HP GT350.

I will dyno mine (624HP) this Thursday and post the results.

I dyno'd my 624 at stock, and it was posted here. Now, keep in mind that Dyno numbers are not at all like standard measurements. ie. A foot is always a foot measured by any tape measure. Dynos are not at all consistent, and conditions affect a test as well. Then, there are two competing Dyno manufacturers. Dynojet, and Mustang Dyno. Dynojets are the norm, but mustang Dyno gives better real world numbers as it adjusts more for car weight in it's calculations. (it gives lower numbers)

I have only dyno'd on a mustang Dyno.

One other note- I'm pushing near 600 rwhp on the mustang Dyno after only changing the pulley and driveshaft. Figure a 8-10% increase in hp if it were a dynojet.

I dyno'd my 624 at stock, and it was posted here. Now, keep in mind that Dyno numbers are not at all like standard measurements. ie. A foot is always a foot measured by any tape measure. Dynos are not at all consistent, and conditions affect a test as well. Then, there are two competing Dyno manufacturers. Dynojet, and Mustang Dyno. Dynojets are the norm, but mustang Dyno gives better real world numbers as it adjusts more for car weight in it's calculations. (it gives lower numbers)

I have only dyno'd on a mustang Dyno.

One other note- I'm pushing near 600 rwhp on the mustang Dyno after only changing the pulley and driveshaft. Figure a 8-10% increase in hp if it were a dynojet.

Warren,

If you really want to cry, run it on a Dyno Dynamics. Now that is the heart-breaker of dyno's! :cry:

John

i understand the difference in the dynos and that was the problem i mentioned in the gt500 two of my coworkers ordered mustangs. one a gt500 and one a gt5.0 both took the straight to the local mustang dyno shop and the numbers to the wheels was 458 for the gt500 and 387 for the gt both on 91 octane. the gt500 guy was really disappointed that a shelby with a 6 speed and 3.73 rear end lost 90 hp when a gt with a 6 speed 3.73 looses 25

i understand the difference in the dynos and that was the problem i mentioned in the gt500 two of my coworkers ordered mustangs. one a gt500 and one a gt5.0 both took the straight to the local mustang dyno shop and the numbers to the wheels was 458 for the gt500 and 387 for the gt both on 91 octane. the gt500 guy was really disappointed that a shelby with a 6 speed and 3.73 rear end lost 90 hp when a gt with a 6 speed 3.73 looses 25

There is a lot less loss in the 5.0 Getrag 6 spd.

it is also a lot weaker than the GT500 6 spd. All the serious racers are putting GT500 trans into the 5.0s.

Yup, I was merely pointing out that my GT350 still under 80k spent is right there with supersnake HP. Gary Patterson, VP of Marketing drove mine in Tulsa in June and agrees...its got the power of a supersnake with the handling of the Terlingua....its just awesome.

If you look at what you pay for a Terlingua, you can figure 55-60k, before they stopped production, for 350 HP, but a dream to handle on a road course.

If you look at what you pay for a supersnake, you can figure 85-90k, for the 725-800HP, which are not near as good for road courses.

With that logic, Ive got the same HP rating on the GT350 for 5-10k less, a much more exclusive build, and much better handling than a SS, WAY more power than a Terlingua, and near the same handling.

The Terlingua is still a great car for road racing, an absolute bargain even with some engine mods to get to 450HP, but unfortunately, they are not being built any longer. Probably because it doesnt make sense to offer a V6 with mods that is rated at less power than a new stock V6 mustang for 25k more.

Carl,

Also realize that Ford is playing with those numbers a bit. 25hp loss through the drive train is not even realistic in any car, no way, no how. A buddy of mine who is building up his 5.0 had it tested on a an engine dyno before the build. Bone stock, on the stock computer, it was pulling 468hp at the flywheel. I've seen a couple 5.0's actually turn 390-403 at the rear wheels. So if you think that the new 5.0 has 412 hp.....well, that's what Ford says right...... Normal drivetrain loss is somewhere between 15-20% depending on lots of things.

This 468 number was also at a shop here in Colorado, where the air is very thin, so the actual number is a bit north of that in the rest of the country.

Archived