TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire and wheel mod

wanted2b

Ok! I've finally made my decision to change out the wheels and tires that came with the car.

I'm looking for something kind of old school. Chrome wheels w/good traction tires.

What do you people think of the Proxy 4s?? Not sure if they are really what I want on the car.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ok! I've finally made my decision to change out the wheels and tires that came with the car.

I'm looking for something kind of old school. Chrome wheels w/good traction tires.

What do you people think of the Proxy 4s?? Not sure if they are really what I want on the car.

Old school - i like rocket racing hypershot booster wheel in chrome,

Good tires at reasonable prices - continental extreme contact DW. Others really like the nitto invo.

Old school - i like rocket racing hypershot booster wheel in chrome,

Good tires at reasonable prices - continental extreme contact DW. Others really like the nitto invo.

Second the DW and Invo. I'd also recommend the ExtremeContact DWS which, despite being All-Season, has phenomenal road manners and performance.

Ready to do the same here with a 2011 GT500 with SVT "package"; the GoodYear F-1's just make too much noise compared to the Coopers that came on my 427R ROUSH....and the ROUSH has 20" rims on all four tires. I also don't understand the 20" rear rims and 19" front rims, though both vehicles have "forged" which in itself is a positive! So your tire selection is limited. Tire Rack said they may soon stock something in a Michelin Pilot Sport. I've read good reports on the Contentinel DW's. Also I'm not especiallyy fond of the "darker" SVT rims and am thinking of replacing with either the Shelby or Ford (FRPP)...(possible America Muscle) forged chrome ones; all 20's or 19"'s Car is all black, "no stripes" interior is black...so a "black on black" it is. Also working on a "spare" instead of that air-pump & sealent. Any suggestions will be appreciated....TY.....msdcrd

I pulled the trigger on the AR Torque Thrust IIs last week. Not sure yet if that was a mistake or not. Not very happy that AR can't build their wheels here in the "NAME AMERICAN RACING". Suppose to be shipped in three days. Well, that didn't happen. Now it won't be until sometime next week and they (Cruisin Concepts) couldn't tell me when. Another issue is, the order has not been completed and they've already charged my credit card. Then the smart A$$ I spoke with was just rude and I couldn't get a word in edge wise so I could express my disappointment in them. Well, if you like I can cancel your order and you can go some place else. Really not very good customer service. I read a few posts on the TS site about people who had not had a good experience with them. Fittment problems, balance issues, defective wheels and etc!!!

I'm off the soap box. Have a great day to you all.

I pulled the trigger on the AR Torque Thrust IIs last week. Not sure yet if that was a mistake or not. Not very happy that AR can't build their wheels here in the "NAME AMERICAN RACING". Suppose to be shipped in three days. Well, that didn't happen. Now it won't be until sometime next week and they (Cruisin Concepts) couldn't tell me when. Another issue is, the order has not been completed and they've already charged my credit card. Then the smart A$$ I spoke with was just rude and I couldn't get a word in edge wise so I could express my disappointment in them. Well, if you like I can cancel your order and you can go some place else. Really not very good customer service. I read a few posts on the TS site about people who had not had a good experience with them. Fittment problems, balance issues, defective wheels and etc!!!

I posted a "buyer beware" thread about these guys a while back.....I rec'd the same exact "service"(attitude) & cancelled right away, and glad I did!!

Man, Torque Thrusts on a GT500, have you seen this setup. Not for me personally. Way better looking setups out there.

Our wheels preferences aside, you asked about Proxes 4. Run the other way, I said RUN man. They're decent for a tire but they are now way a peefomance tire worthy of our cars. I have them and can not stand them. They absolutely will not hook up regardless of air pressure. I had the toyo T1R in a 285 or 295 and they are far superior. However there are better options at more affordable prices. Look at the BFG KDW2, they're rated nice and are affordable as well. These are my next tire.

Settled on the tires and wheels for Darkside. 20 X 8.5 Torque Thrust IIs w/255x35x20 on the front, 20x10 Torque Thrust IIs w/295x35x20 on the rear. Nitto INVOs all the way around. I know what the feeling is about wheels. Dark wheels for the Shelby is just not my style. Maybe if I was 30 years old it might be, I'm to ole school. If they made Crager SS I would have bought them. Black and chrome is what's happening. Pictures to come next week. By Sept 1st they will he here.

Settled on the tires and wheels for Darkside. 20 X 8.5 Torque Thrust IIs w/255x35x20 on the front, 20x10 Torque Thrust IIs w/295x35x20 on the rear. Nitto INVOs all the way around. I know what the feeling is about wheels. Dark wheels for the Shelby is just not my style. Maybe if I was 30 years old it might be, I'm to ole school. If they made Crager SS I would have bought them. Black and chrome is what's happening. Pictures to come next week. By Sept 1st they will he here.

Invos seem to be very well-liked. Glad you settled on a wheels set that meets your needs.

I'm still very much at-sea with what I plan to do - beyond deciding to maintain multiple sets of wheels and tires including the 2 original SVTPP sets, a complete set of 19 x 10's, and a set of 18 x 9.5" 2010 wheels for comfort cruising.

I've pretty-much decided to set aside the OE set - for either preservation of track use. But if I decide to add the FR-3 pack, I'm not entirely sure the staggered setup will continue to be optimal.

I'd like a set of good all-seasons for everyday road driving, but sizing makes it difficult. I'm fully prepared to send one set of 20"'s out to be widened, but I don't want to necessarily add more sidewall. I could easily adopt an XXX/30-20 on the back to return to a standard rear wheel diameter and gain some additional quickness, but not without compromising a great deal of comfort in the process. The alternative would be XXX/35-19's using the FR SVTPP look alikes.

What pisses me off most is how Ford went to a 265/40-19 up-front, which virtually nobody makes. But, given the 5.4 L's heavier nose, it makes for near ideal over/understeer balance with the 285's in the back. I don't want to go wider up-front for everyday driving - the front-end hunts enough already, and I don't want to worsen its propensity to hydroplane. Perhaps going to a 35/19 on the rear will help re-establish balance by its inherently smaller footprint, but I'm now considering whether or not to use wheel-specific rear springs too - to maintain rake.

Oy. :)

Tell em to Jam it, and call Tire Rack. They sell Chinese, I mean Americian Racing wheels, I got a set recently, great looking wheel, great service and no problems....FWIW, Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Received the wheels and tires from Cruisin Convepts. Great looking tires and wheels. The only problem is the front two won't fit the car, even after they promised that they would. The rears fit fine. I was so upset and called them. They have a floor manager that is a total jerk. He gave me the biggest run around after I told him about the ones that didn't not fit. Then they wanted to send me spacers for the front. Everyone said don't use spacers.

So, I finally got a hold of a guy by the name of Dave and he was really super about the whole deal. He had me send the two fronts back and they will send me the ones with the right off set. Guess that it's suppose to be 33 instead of 38.

If you ever do business with them, talk to Dave. The rest of the crew don't know crap.

Updates and pictures to come

Update: Received the wheels and tires from Cruisin Convepts. Great looking tires and wheels. The only problem is the front two won't fit the car, even after they promised that they would. The rears fit fine. I was so upset and called them. They have a floor manager that is a total jerk. He gave me the biggest run around after I told him about the ones that didn't not fit. Then they wanted to send me spacers for the front. Everyone said don't use spacers.

So, I finally got a hold of a guy by the name of Dave and he was really super about the whole deal. He had me send the two fronts back and they will send me the ones with the right off set. Guess that it's suppose to be 33 instead of 38.

If you ever do business with them, talk to Dave. The rest of the crew don't know crap.

Updates and pictures to come

Hope everything works out. Just be aware, it's not just offset, but backspacing that matters if caliper clearance is the issue.

Best of luck!

Been through the backspacing thing many times. I feel comfortable that they will get me the right ones this time. If not, it's going to cost them a lot of money in freight.

If I hadn't been so cheap I'd had the wheels and tires on by now. Just the fact that the local shop was 800.00 more than mail order.

I'll get the new ones on about time for the snow to fly. LOL

Archived